Live recording ended up with 129 tracks

Rate this topic

alexisvas

Hi

I went yesterday to see and record the gig of Silver Mt. Zion.

I used in-ear mics - battery box - line in - mz-rh10

which I adjusted to REC level manual 13, sens mic low, time mark off, synch rec off, group rec off.

I ended up with 129 tracks and I had to erase the time marks for all of them !!!!!!!!!

Anybody has a clue what went wrong ??? This is the 1st time it happened.

Has anything to do the fact of relatively low REC level???

IMPORTANT: I ve recently done the hack thing on my mz-rh10.

Thanks for the time you spent for reading this and hoping you will spend a little more to reply...

line-in: auto track marking

mic-in: no marks

Auto track marking unfortunately can't be disabled.

Didnt know that.

But why this happened for 1st time??? Usually it breaks in 5-6 tracks. The band that played had many quiet parts.

Also, since I am now clearing some things out, adjusting the MIC sensitivity is useless if I am using the line in, right??

Adjusting the REC level and "ForLoudMusic" parametres are essential even with line-in, right??

Awesome! I may be seeing them sometime this summer.

I saw GY!BE back in '03, great show. One of the best shows I've been to... I'd be interested in hearing the Silver Mt. Zion show if you wouldn't mind sharing. :)

Although off topic I would trade with your GYBE recording. Where was it??

Edited by alexisvas

To get back to the orginal post, low recording level creates the track marks. After 3-5 seconds of what seems to be silence, Line-in automatically inserts a mark.

Yes, REC level matters. But ForLoudMusic only affects the Automatic Level Control, and doesn't matter when you're using manual.

13 is pretty low. I usually record around 19-20 at a rock show, and I've only had to go down to 13 for big booming arena hip-hip. Even though GYBE can get loud, you can probably get away with 16.

By the way, Group is useful. It starts a new group after each time you press Stop. So if you record the opening act, press stop to save the data when they're done, and then start recording the next act (after re-setting Manual, etc.), you'll get each group in a separate folder.

Edited by A440

Although off topic I would trade with your GYBE recording. Where was it??

Sadly, I didn't have sufficient equipment to get a decent recording at the time, however I do in fact have a DAT recording someone did from the same night that I can put on (Hi-)MD or CD for you if you'd like. The show was March 04, 2003 @ 9:30 club in Washington DC here in the states. I saw Sigur Ros two weeks later at the same venue but don't have a recording of that one.

Here is an unreleased song called "Albanian" from the show, it's an mp3 but will show the quality of the recording that was done: http://www.cosmicsky.com/private/gybe2003-03-04d1t06.mp3

Just a note: This band encourages live recordings of their shows, so there should be no problems with having the link up here. If there is a problem, please let me know.

Edited by raintheory