OpenMG reverse engineering

Rate this topic

narfzort

Hello,

i managed to reverse engineer the OpenMG DRM system, i.e. i am able to decrypt a protected ATRAC3 music file.

My plans are to write a winamp (or maybe VLC) plugin to playback such files in order to get rid of the SonicStage application. Does anyone have information about source code being available to decode ATRAC3 encoded music? I already checked out ffmpeg, but it doesn't seem to be able to handle files produced by SonicStage (anyone comfirm this?). Hope this is the right place :)

Any help is appreciated

Hello,

i managed to reverse engineer the OpenMG DRM system, i.e. i am able to decrypt a protected ATRAC3 music file.

My plans are to write a winamp (or maybe VLC) plugin to playback such files in order to get rid of the SonicStage application. Does anyone have information about source code being available to decode ATRAC3 encoded music? I already checked out ffmpeg, but it doesn't seem to be able to handle files produced by SonicStage (anyone comfirm this?). Hope this is the right place :)

Any help is appreciated

Marcnet , is the guy on these forums to ask that ? to , he is the one who made HiMD renderer .

Browse thru the Members directory and PM him .

Sorry guys. The guy didnt release that much information on how the encryption works with OMA files, and he won't release anything soon. I don't blame him - not wanting Sony suing him for millions. It's a good reason to keep quiet :)

So it will probably be a long time before OMA decryption will be a feature in HIMDRenderer.

Suing over what? A codec that no one uses and that Sony is not making money from?

Yeah, I know about the DMCA. But couldn't like his account get "hacked" since he forgot to turn on his firewall by "accident" and then the work "leaked without his knowledge" over bit-torrent? :secret:

:P

TRAC is abandonware. Sony has given up on it. Perhaps the person who reverse engineered it could communicate directly with Marcnet, who could quietly incorporate direct decryption in Renderer.

We did chat on IRC.. and he wasn't prepared to release his hard work at the moment. Not even to me. I did try :) He wasn't even prepared to release a winamp plugin or DLL to me for integration into HIMDRenderer.

I already knew the anti-hacking stuff Sony stuck into Sonicstage was difficult - but this guy managed to get round it, and by the sounds of it, the anti-hacking stuff was waaaay over the top - more than I first imagined.

He did tell me that the algorithm uses a form of DES, and the decryption key can be somehow derived from just the OMA file itself. SHA-1 is also used in the key generation process. I don't know if that's enough to go on myself (I really don't know that much about encryption) , or whether to wait for this person to publish his results.

Edited by marcnet

ATRAC is abandonware. Sony has given up on it. Perhaps the person who reverse engineered it could communicate directly with Marcnet, who could quietly incorporate direct decryption in Renderer.

Atrac is still used on the PSP by most movies and games, IIRC. It's the OMA/OMG (OMG, lulz. No wonder why Sony named it like that) encryption what plagues us.

Sorry guys. The guy didnt release that much information on how the encryption works with OMA files, and he won't release anything soon. I don't blame him - not wanting Sony suing him for millions. It's a good reason to keep quiet :)

So it will probably be a long time before OMA decryption will be a feature in HIMDRenderer.

What is interesting , is the Onkyo , Panasonic, Kenwood, and everyone else is allowed to crack it and go to the extent of actually MAKING MD's Recorders and Players , based on ATRAC technologies , which are Sony Copyrighted , and they arent being sued into oblivian ( kickbacks anyone???)

HiMD =Onkyo ............. not Sony , .............nobody sees that ?