1st gen hi-md blanks extinct?

Rate this topic

Jalise

does anyone know if and where i can get the 1st gen solid color HiMDs with the retro red border? I cant seem to find them ANYWHERE. even when i see a pic of one on a retail site its just an old pic representing the newer product that i don't want. just a cosmetic difference i know, but I only use Hi-MD and if all my md's must be the same color id rather it black/navy/red (whatever) than electric translucent blue. i don't care about the cases being oversized. any help would be appreciated. oh and i also live in the US.

Welcome to the forums!

Actually photos don't tell much about what blanks are actually being sold. But the item code may sometimes do the trick. Old 1 Gb blanks with the red border are designated as HMD1G, while the newer clear blue ones are designated as HMD1GA.

Welcome to the forums!

Actually photos don't tell much about what blanks are actually being sold. But the item code may sometimes do the trick. Old 1 Gb blanks with the red border are designated as HMD1G, while the newer clear blue ones are designated as HMD1GA.

thanks. that did filter my search alot better. few of many sites still have the old item code with the newer discs (since they were made to replace the older ones), but it was helpful.

Edited by Jalise

One word of warning, though: Those 1st-gen HI-MDs are very prone to errors, rendering them almost unusable. I have had 3 of those discs, and all of them at some point went kaput giving me CRC errors and the like, freezing my Hi-MD units and the computer upon upload or download. Stick to the blue Hi-MDs if you don't want to risk losing your recordings or data.

Have you tried Ebay?

I have some, by the way, but I always throw away those annoying over-sized cases... but if you wish to buy some from me or want to trade the new kind for them or even some standards let me know.

ya, I've tried eBay. Ive even contacted sellers. where are you located?

One word of warning, though: Those 1st-gen HI-MDs are very prone to errors, rendering them almost unusable. I have had 3 of those discs, and all of them at some point went kaput giving me CRC errors and the like, freezing my Hi-MD units and the computer upon upload or download. Stick to the blue Hi-MDs if you don't want to risk losing your recordings or data.

I've got almost a dozen of the original discs. I use them for backups of my computer docs etc. I've never had a problem with losing data or the MD or computer freezing. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I don't backup as much as I should...

Am I the only one that finds the 1st gen discs to be incredibly drab and ugly? I even went as far as to put one of the discs in a normal MD cartridge once!

I've read alot of people consider them ugly. For those who do, don't worry it looks like they have been completely replaced with the newer ones. Sucks for me though. Even though its about sound I own the blue ones and just think there too flashy. I thought about reformatting some 80 minute discs and trying out the latley supported 352kbps, which would be more affordable and should fit an average size cd per md (I know 256 is about 160 minutes, not sure about 352), but I was aiming to go lossless.

Peppers coming to town woo hoo! I'm recording my 1st live show in a few days so, gotta have PCM for that. :drinks: