New iAUDIO 6

Rate this topic

Guest Stuge

I think we need a drooling smily icon.

This thing looks real nice.

And is it true, video play back?

I didn't find anything about DRM in there, I wonder how it is handled or if not at all

Hard drives are no good... too much power, skipping, etc...

You really think that could be a problem? How so?

Did anyone see a difference between 6 X5 , M5, and the M3 ?

The 6 and the X5 is really looking nice. I am seriously thinking of selling my VP to get this one. Pricey though

Vey nice looking player, sleek but not 'ipod-y'.

I think i know what Imagine means when he says 'hard drives are no good'. As compared to flash there is more chance of skipping (in fact none with Flash) and HDD's do consume more power.

I have no qualms with my 30gb HD5 though, has never skipped and battery life is pretty immense. Although i will say that for 'just' 4gb, flash is really the way to go IMO. I am curious to know wehter using a smallr hard drive will reap rewards in the power consumption department however, as smaller surely means less movement and perhaps lighter weight depending on materials used.

Also i think that video playback is a little gimmicky, as it looks a similar size to my phone (K750i) and i would certainly not like to watch even a 30 min T.V episode on it, due to screen size. Short comedy clips or similar for showing to friends though, i suppose is fair-game.

At first look then those are my qualms, however what i do find interesting is the size of the HDD utilised. Does is use perpendicular reading methods? If so i look forward to something with a more hard drive worthy storage 20gb+ which has been given the shrinking treatment.

Edit - Just looked at the specs page and 20 hours of playback is quoted, this seems quite sufficient, i'd be happy with it.

Edited by Richard_p

I think we need a drooling smily icon.

This thing looks real nice.

And is it true, video play back?

I didn't find anything about DRM in there, I wonder how it is handled or if not at all

You really think that could be a problem? How so?

Did anyone see a difference between 6 X5 , M5, and the M3 ?

The 6 and the X5 is really looking nice. I am seriously thinking of selling my VP to get this one. Pricey though

The Cowon units don't require DRM or software. They are drag-and-drop. The iAudio 6 is supposed to read ID tags versus just using a file tree. I have an X5L and love the thing. SOLID construction.

Someone mentioned the video earlier. Video on these Cowon units (except the Cowon A2) is a bonus. It works well, but it isn't the main point of the player.

Edited by lamewing

• 1 month later...
Guest Stuge

I took a look around on their website, they have some pretty cool looking players. Upon entering, I thought iAudio is another family member of ipod. hehehe

I hope sony will also make such players :blink::blink: after 300billion years :lol:

The Cowon units don't require DRM or software. They are drag-and-drop. The iAudio 6 is supposed to read ID tags versus just using a file tree. I have an X5L and love the thing. SOLID construction.

Drag&drop is definately a HIGH factor in my book, probably ranking my top 3 musts.

I tried looking in the specs for the shell/covering. Can you tell me if its anodized aluminum or is it plastic?

What is the X5L ? I see the X5, is that the one you have?

These things are just to expensive right now. Looking on ebay the range from $200-$350!!

I guess you could look at it like: $50 less than ipod video . . . but still.

I want it for $150 . . . I can wish can't I ?

With more and more MP3 DAPs becoming MTP devices, it would be a relief if iAudio can keep their devices as UMS.

However, with more and more flash based DAPs reaching 4GB and more, 4GB HADD based DAP is not interesting anymore, especially at that price point. If they can sell it for $150 or less, then it might be more attractive. Rumor is apple is going to slash the nano price, and introducing 6GB-10GB nano. We'll see if the competitors can keep up.

Guest Stuge

What is the X5L ? I see the X5, is that the one you have?

X5L & X5 both have same specifications but the only difference b/w them is that X5L has better battery life ..So X5L is costly also .

Rumor is apple is going to slash the nano price, and introducing 6GB-10GB nano. We'll see if the competitors can keep up.

10GB will be nice..This will put more pressure on Sony :lol::lol: