RH1 vs NH1

Rate this topic

reefbeef

My RH1 has become undependable. When pressure is applied to the area around the rubber foot under the right side of the screen, it shuts off and restarts itself.

I am debating getting a second RH1, but my NH1 still works fine. Also, the RH1 still uploads properly. I have a bunch of classic MD recording that I still haven't uploaded so I need a functioning RH1.

I could get by recording on my NH1 and just using the RH1 for uploads. But, I am wondering:

1. The RH1 recordings sound great. Does the RH1 record higher quality sound than the NH1, or are they the same in this regard? (I am aware that the RH1 has convenient recording features like remembering your settings, but I am asking only about sound quality.

2. Are recordings made on an NH1 uploadable to mac?

3. Does anyone know of a good source for RH1's? The best I've found has been old faithful www.minidisco.com (they have the M200 model)

Thanks in advance...

My RH1 has become undependable. When pressure is applied to the area around the rubber foot under the right side of the screen, it shuts off and restarts itself.

I am debating getting a second RH1, but my NH1 still works fine. Also, the RH1 still uploads properly. I have a bunch of classic MD recording that I still haven't uploaded so I need a functioning RH1.

I could get by recording on my NH1 and just using the RH1 for uploads. But, I am wondering:

1. The RH1 recordings sound great. Does the RH1 record higher quality sound than the NH1, or are they the same in this regard? (I am aware that the RH1 has convenient recording features like remembering your settings, but I am asking only about sound quality.

2. Are recordings made on an NH1 uploadable to mac?

3. Does anyone know of a good source for RH1's? The best I've found has been old faithful www.minidisco.com (they have the M200 model)

Thanks in advance...

1) Should be the same - the innards of the RH1 and NH1 probably aren't much different.

2) No - only if you run Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels. (Edit: Do you mean recorded on the NH1, uploaded on the RH1? Then, yes).

Edited by ZosoIV

The quality of RH1 assembly is quite poor. I had to tighten all external screws on both my RH1s. Internal ones probably need tightening too.

As for recording quality, the recording circuits of the NH1 and the RH1 (and all other Hi-MD units) are either almost or absolutely identical. Although this is not true for the playback circuits.

6 months maybe. I didn't have a decent case for it like I now have for my black one. It fell a few times too, that doesn't help. But as Avrin pointed, assembly quality really is poor. I had told you to not get rid of your NH1.

Now, I understand why your RH1 is buging ! I use my units as they were the apple of my eyes. None of them felt on the floor until now and be sure that I will do my best to keep them away from this kind of misfortune. On the other hand, I must admit that I was very dissapointed by the overall quality of the RH1 which is far away from what sony did with the NH1. But I was aware of that and sold my NH1 without any regret. I will record live shows with the RH1, Radio shows and CDs thanks to the MD-133, and will listen to my music using the NH3D when I won't be at home. For that matter, we still have to talk about the NH3D together Oz :)

Edited by Kain_

My silver RH1 has exactly the same problem. I know all I need to do is take it apart and readjust some screws, but I just haven't got round to it yet. Therefore I chose my silver one over my black one as to be my uploader / downloader Hi-MD unit permanently next to my computer.

Keep your made in Japan NH1 as your workhorse and / or buy a second RH1 like I did -though I didn't already own an NH1 like you-, as it's true the RH1's extra features do make it more versatile (standard mini USB connector for transfers and charge, USB 2.0, manual settings memory as you stated, Mac compatibility).

Are the internal screws tough to get to? Is there a repair manual to help with this?

I plan to keep the NH1 but I'm thinking I should just go ahead and buy another RH1. I need it for legacy uploads and I also want to eventually work on Macs and not PCs (I wish Sony would allow legacy uploads to Mac)

Plus, the LCD and the level meters on the RH1 make it so much more user friendly.

Your RH1 might be fine. My black one has no issues what so ever since owning it for over a year now.

I've PMed Araz to find if she'll take part in the deal. So it is moving again. I'll email the seller as soon as I've got her answer.

I really hope that my Silver RH1 will follow the destiny of your black one. Glad to hear that our deal might touch its end :) I'm waiting for additional information about it in our next mail exchange ;)

Franck.

Edited by Kain_

my unit have the same issue.....I thought that it was by the fallen of the unit so many times....

Now I'm sure that it's a hardware issue...like the ribon cable of the Mz-N505....By the way i returned to my mz.Nhf800

Not this time the ribbon it's ok, but the're any faut on the dessing of the unit that make's the unit to reset when you pres the right-top of the unit...at firts I think thats its the bat but not.

This unit sounds greats, but the eject button (that it's so sensitive) and now this problem.....it's a shame! the Mz-rh1 cost about 300 €.... for this price It would be more robust.