Half of my library I suddenly can't play in SS 4.3

Rate this topic

theblueraja

This is very frustrating and I pray someone here may be able to help me. This has actually happened once before, but I think the last time the problem just sort of worked itself out on its own (very strange). I tend to format my PC frequently, and in doing so I obviously have to run the SS backup tool. This time I upgraded my OS to Windows Vista. Not sure if that is a factor, but regardless, more than HALF of my content now becomes a shade of gray and will not play. While the location of the files are in a different folder than they were last time, it still "sees" it when I check the file info, or if I even manually double-click the file from the packages folder to try to play it... As far as rights go, that's rediculous because these are all CDs I ripped from my own library. I still have two backups saved on an external drive, but they were both done using SS 4.3, so I can't go back to an earlier version. Is it possible Sonic Stage can only handle so much content? (I own over 3,000 CDs... though I've probably ripped around 1,000 or so) Am I screwed and I just need to delete everything and start all over? Very annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by theblueraja

1. Why are you still using SS3.4?

2. Did you disable copy protection when you're ripping to Atrac? If not, say bye-bye and re-rip those tracks.

3. Did you correctly point Sonicstage to the right locations of the tracks?

4. How did you restore your library? Did you use the backup tool?

I thought you're using MD. So why bother since you have all the music in your MDs anyway.

Raja , why Vista , Why oh Why ,

Because he got Vista for free. Besides, he doesn't have XP anyway, at least not legally.

1. Why are you still using SS3.4?

eeep, pardon my dislexia - I meant 4.3

2. Did you disable copy protection when you're ripping to Atrac? If not, say bye-bye and re-rip those tracks.

yes, yes, disabled

3. Did you correctly point Sonicstage to the right locations of the tracks?

Not exactly sure what you mean as there is assigning where to SAVE ripped material as an option, then there's a folder allocation during the backup tool reinstall process... When I right-click a track property then FILE - it shows me where it is, so it is "finding it"... maybe I just RE-do my original saved backup (I mean restore it) and assign the files to where Sonic Stage may NORMALLY store music? I made my OWN folder name called "music"... still doesn't explain why HALF of my library WORKS though.

4. How did you restore your library? Did you use the backup tool?

Yes, SS backup tool

I thought you're using MD. So why bother since you have all the music in your MDs anyway.

I like to have my library in Sonic Stage for several reasons:

- Back when I got my Sony Vaio I was sad that I had constantly deleted my music and wished I kept it on my PC... I guess I don't want to have that same regret due to the size of my music collection.

- I sometimes make different MD compilations/collections, or I make an MD for my brother at a later time, etc.

- Though its not the best quality, sometimes when a friend wants a copy of something or I want to give them a sampling, I can do a quick SS audio CD - much quicker than re-ripping tracks.

- My wife has an A808

- I may end up getting an ATRAC portable (like an A808) for myself

Because he got Vista for free. Besides, he doesn't have XP anyway, at least not legally.

lol - I've had XP for many years but yes, as far as a legit copy, my Vista is purely legit, and I did get it for free :P