Sonicstage Backup restoration question with the end of MD

Rate this topic

unsrm

Dear all,

I am concerned that with the shutdown of the CONNECT service and the end of ATRAC we may soon find ourselves unable to restore our Sonicstage Backup data (this of course requires internet verification to proceed). Does anybody know if and when this facility will disappear. I am relectuant to keep using the tool to back up my music if I am not able to restore it.

Regards,

Chris

(UNSRM)

Don't worry! As long as your ATRAC files are nor DRM-ed (and you may use the SonicStage File Conversion Tool with the "Add copy protection" box unchecked to make them non-protected), you may copy them from the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages" folder using Windows Explorer, and then re-import them to SonicStage on another computer.

As to where to get a SonicStage to keep w/o the need to authenticate it - here's the link + some info (sorry for my crazy cross-linking): http://www.atraclife.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=31747

Edited by Avrin

Actually, the un-DRM'ed files wil be located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages\Optimized Files ... I only say this because the originals (that still have DRM) will still be under different subfolders of ..\Packages\

EDIT: And yes, you can import un-DRM'ed files just fine on any install of SonicStage.

Edited by raintheory

Thanks for all your help but your method will only save my files, can I save my track rating data (I have over 2500 hours of music manually rated), needless to say this would be a pain to redo. I had thought the only way to do this was with the backup tool.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by unsrm

Thanks, at least I know the lay of the land now. Hmm - I'll be damned if I need to get an iPod after all my attempts to get one. There isn't currently any other software that reads OPEN MG is there?

Sir,

Just go to this location:

C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\Sony Corporation\SonicStage\Packages

Back up the access database via copy and paste and all your ratings will be safe.

Cheers

Pug

An alternative is to do like I do: use VMWare. This excellent piece of software will enable you to create and maintain a virtual PC inside your PC. So you can install a fresh copy of your favourite Windows OS (I have very good experience with Windows 2000, which does not need to be registered to Microsoft to work) and install SonicStage on top of it. This will provide a very stable and reliable environment to manage your SonicStage library. Transfer your library once on the virtual machine, as long as the Sony servers are still online, and you will never have to backup and restore again. VMWare virtual machines are movable from a computer to another, and VMWare provides a "snapshot" facility which is a form of backup.

I actually have such an insallation on my Linux PC, for the sole purpose to have a working SonicStage on my favourite machine. It has always been stable and quick, and I can only recommend it.

have a look at www.vmware.com and register for free. Try VMWare workstation, as it can more than the VMWare player.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, deleting the database to recycle bin and then restoring (after running sonicstage once) seems to work. Whether Pug's method would work after a fresh install is something I'l have to test. Thank you also for the VMWare suggestion, I use Virtual PC and the idea hadn't even occured to me. Do you find any lost of quality because you are emulating sound?

Please could someone explain to me exactly what is being taken offline and how this affects my library of music held in SonicStage?

1. Is there encryption which will magically fail to authenticate once I am offline or the server is not there?

2. If I have no "downloaded" tracks (I don't), will I lose any access at all?

3. Is it necessary to export from a working SS before they close the server? (most of my files are WAV anyway so not protected)

4. Exactly what will fail? I guess I can play with SS not connected to the internet, heheh.

Thanks

sfbp, from what I know about the "intestines" of SonicStage, I can only answer as follows:

1. Maybe.

2. Maybe.

3. Maybe.

4. Noone knows.

BTW, has anyone ever told you that your smile makes Chevy Chase look like the most boring person ever born?

Edited by Avrin

sfbp, from what I know about the "intestines" of SonicStage, I can only answer as follows:

1. Maybe.

2. Maybe.

3. Maybe.

4. Noone knows.

BTW, has anyone ever told you that your smile makes Chevy Chase look like the most boring person ever born?

"You should learn not to make personal remarks" Alice said with some severity. "It's very rude"

http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/books/1chpt7.html

But he is the most boring person, I thought.

Maybe it's time to replace the image with some stock drawing, like everyone else.

Cheers

Sir, if I offended you in any way, please accept my sincere apologies. And please don't replace your photo - it is really great!

Naw, I was just being grouchy! Inability to take compliments.

Ever watch "House M.D"? Think of me as a bit like Hugh Lawrie, though I am shorter and stouter than he is.

Stephen

Do you find any lost of quality because you are emulating sound?

I experience no loss of quality, but my computer sound equipment is "only" onboard audio + 25Euros computer speakers, not the best to assess sound quality. But I do not experience glitches or silences, or pitch problems (I do not actually listen to music on my computer very often).

Edited by storm shadow