Help with recording on Minidisk

Rate this topic

graptemys

Hi,

I own a Sony MD MZ-N707 Type R MDLP minidisk player. I have owned it for several years and have not used it for at least as many years. I do not put CD music on it. I only use it to record live bands. I have the Sony microphone that most people use with it. What is the best way to get the recordings onto my PC? I have Vista but also have XP.

My whole purpose is to get these live recordings off of the player and turn them into mp3's on my computer so I can share them with other bandmates. What software should I be using to do this? Someone here must do something similar to this. How would you go about this?

Actually he doesnt need Sonic Stage at all , Audacity will work better and give him editing ability such as Noise redux , Reverbs , EQ etc .

If he is going to go line in Real time recording , Audacity or if he is on a Mac, Final Vinyl or Audacity , or Audio Recorder 3.2 which all have Rec Meters

Connect Line out of Md , to Line in on Comp ----> setup audio settings in Computer for Line input to be source , then open Audio program ( mentioned above)

In Audio Program preferences , select Line in as Source , then go back to program , turn Monitor on , play sample from MD , set levels , the restart MD , and hit record on Audio program .

Save files as separate by pausing Md between songs , and creating new file in Audio Program , or Record the whole thing at one time and split file afterwards .

Name and save files , Use Switch from NCH Sound or something similar to convert to MP3 ----------> load your MP3 player .

If you use Audacity you will have some tools for "Polishing" the audio to make your band sound better

Actually he doesnt need Sonic Stage at all , Audacity will work better and give him editing ability such as Noise redux , Reverbs , EQ etc .

Thats' true but if he also plugs the MD into Sonic Stage he can monitor where's he's at in the transfer/recording. SS will tell him how much more there is yet to play. It's a handy hack I find -- rather than waiting on Audacity to record out to a flat line or sit there listening. I like to set it and forget it with a few check backs if I know my expected time line.

SS also enables you to select /stop/pause what you want to record visually without touching the MD player itself.

Another attribute well worth investing in is an iMic -- so that you get a higher quality recording without the pc's sound floor to worry about. Plug "line out" into iMic's record port. Voila!