NH700 vs. RH710

Rate this topic

suso1

The most important difference is that the RH710 does not have a mic jack with a preamp behind it--only a line-in jack.

The NH700 has both mic-in and line-in.

For some reason Sony changed its numbering convention: all previous 7xx units--MZ-N707, MZ-R700, MZ-R70--had mic jacks.

Also, if you already have older MD units and need compatibility, the NH700 will record (but NOT upload) in the older formats: SP, LP2 and LP4. The RH710 will not record in the legacy formats.

If you're playing prerecorded music:

The RH710 will play back mp3s that have been transferred through SonicStage without any conversion (but with slightly crippled playback).

The NH700 only plays Sony formats, .oma, so all other files including mp3 need to be converted via SonicStage.

I use my NH700 constantly and am quite fond of it. I've never had the RH710.

Edited by A440

As I own both units I´d recommend the RH710 if you don´t need a field recorder. Although it´s also made of plastic the unit has a much higher build quality (polished, shiny coating on the lid) and more gadget fame than the NH700. If you choose the european version multiple sources for music recordings are provided (USB/ analog/ optical). In terms of sound the RH710 is a bit bassier and mp3 direct playback is really much better than just acceptable!

thanks for your answers

I forgot to mention that I don't really care too much about the mic-in, it's really not important to me.

and I don't think i'd use the MD record through line-in connection, ... maybe just in some certain times, but for me the most important is the usb connection (i have a nw-hd3 so i know the technical stuff)

and I have no md players right now, so this one will be my first one since I sold my old fellow R707 back on march 2004 (ahh snif), thus I have no previous md discs to be played on this new unit

is any of the two more friendly to use, or supposed to have longer lasting life (or supposed to fail more)??

Edited by suso1

And, oh yeah, if you do get a 710 unit, make sure that it is an RH710 (European/UK-market) rather than the DH710 (US/Canada), as only the RH series includes a remote/phones jack as opposed to the phones only jack. Also the RH710 has the line/optical jack while the DH710 does not. I teamed up my two black RH710 units each with both matching MDR-EX85SL IEM's and also a Sony RM-MC55ELK LCD remote, and even if you can't get that one, you can always get the non-LCD RM-MC60 remote as well (available at http://www.minidiscaccess.com/rm106.html and it's well worth it). That also makes for a damn good fashion statement that should make DH710 owners jealous.

Here are some pics of my RH710 setup:

SonyMZ-RH710A.jpg

SonyMZ-RH710B.jpg

On the other hand if you do get an NH700 unit, especailly one in silver, here is a good setup to use with it, in which I teamed up both an RM-MC40ELK remote and MDR-EX90SL IEM's as well:

SonyMZ-NH700B.jpg

SonyMZ-NH700A.jpg

Also, FYI, if you happen to get a European/UK-market version of either one, you're gonna need to know (and do) about the volume hack for each of these units, as they are what we call "Euro-crippled" as far as the volume and EQ are concerned, due to EU regulations regarding volume, but, as you will see, it is very easy to change the codes in the firmware to bring it up to a full 5 mW and with custom EQ as well!!!

Either way, you won't be disapponited with the SQ on them, so if you're looking to do an on-field of other recording in legacy format, I recommend the NH700, if not, the RH710 should do you fine. I own both, I am also happy with both.

yeah, i know about the sound "cheating" (i had to do that to my hd3).

and about the remotes, i have a RM-MC38EL for my hd3 (it should display the song and album/group titles for those md units, isn't it?), and a RM-MC35ELK is just on the way

Also note that you can add a radio remote to the NH700 (the one that works with the NHF800, or the later Net-MD radio units), which can be very handy. These can (or could) be found on ebay quite cheaply.

and does the radio remote also work with the RH710??

and does the radio remote also work with the RH710??

No sadly not, the radio remote won't even fit into the RH710's remote socket, or get the power needed. The NH700 is pretty unique in this way, as far as I can tell it's exactly the same as the NHF800 but without the radio remote included.

I also slightly prefer the NH700's brighter sound over the RH10's which is a tad 'warmer' (I have both units).

so, as far as i've understood, there are just some tiny differences between those two models... since i'll have to buy a used one, I think i'll just get the one that's in best condition :P

should both of them work (with dislpay also) with the RM-MC35ELK and/or the RM-MC38EL ??

so, as far as i've understood, there are just some tiny differences between those two models... since i'll have to buy a used one, I think i'll just get the one that's in best condition :P

should both of them work (with dislpay also) with the RM-MC35ELK and/or the RM-MC38EL ??

The answer is "yes". Both the 35ELK and 38EL will work with either or (both), but for best control over al the features I highly recommend the RM-MC40ELK remote, but since you already own a 38EL it should work fine for your Hi-MD needs.