atrac3 lp2 old open mg software?

Rate this topic

THIS SUCKS

i wanted to transfer to my net md lp2 105 k to my standard md disk. i cant stand the sound of lp2 132k. the artifacts ruin the sound for me. i tried on ss3.4 to first convert to 105k then transfer in lp2 to the unit but ss 3.4 automaticly reconverts to lp2 132k then transfers. i guess this would work best for most people but not me. i like the way lp2 105k sounds better. i confirmed that my old open mg software version 2.2 transfers the actual lp2 105k file and just pads the extra bits. i know it uses the same space on the disk as the lp2 132k file but thats ok. is there any newer version of ss that will do this or am i stuck whit using the ancient open mg software?

There's no way to transfer 105k to a NetMD unit via Sonicstage, without conversion to 'true' LP2 (ie. 132k) or even worse LP4, though any Hi-MD unit will handle 105k. Perhaps you'd be better off using higher bitrate encoding into Sonicstage first as any transcoding especially at these low bitarates is bound to ruin the sound.

Well I think I got it to work using this method (SonicStage 4.2):

- Import a WAV file (or whatever)

- Right-click and choose "convert format", choose Atrac3 105kbps

- Right-click and choose "Properties" (make sure you have a backup of the original file), click the "file info" tab. Choose the original file in the box and click "Delete file"* EDIT: This step is not necessary, apologies!

- In Transfer Settings choose "Transfer 'As-Is'"

- Transfer the track to a NetMD-formatted Disc.

(It says "converting" for a split second, but after checking the properties of the track, it has simply created a copy of the 105kbps LP2 file and added copy protection.)

Success!

*If you do not delete the original file in this step it will be used to create a standard LP2 (132kbps) track, which will subsequently be transferred instead of the 105kbps file. I think this is causing the confusion/problems people are having. EDIT: Again, this is not necessary.. :)

Hope this helps! As I said it seems to have worked for me.

Edited by raintheory

Well I think I got it to work using this method (SonicStage 4.2):

- Import a WAV file (or whatever)

- Right-click and choose "convert format", choose Atrac3 105kbps

- Right-click and choose "Properties" (make sure you have a backup of the original file), click the "file info" tab. Choose the original file in the box and click "Delete file"*

- In Transfer Settings choose "Transfer 'As-Is'"

- Transfer the track to a NetMD-formatted Disc.

(It says "converting" for a split second, but after checking the properties of the track, it has simply created a copy of the 105kbps LP2 file and added copy protection.)

Success!

*If you do not delete the original file in this step it will be used to create a standard LP2 (132kbps) track, which will subsequently be transferred instead of the 105kbps file. I think this is causing the confusion/problems people are having.

Hope this helps! As I said it seems to have worked for me.

thanks a lot. i will try it!

A 105 kbit/s ATRAC3 file is actually not converted to 132 kbit/s when transferring in NetMD mode. It is added copy protection (if it doesn't have it yet), and then padded to 146 kbit/s, without any transcoding. The padding is the same as for 132 kbit/s, that's why a unit is unable to distingush it, and says "LP2 stereo" in file properties. What you actually have on the disc is a 105 kbit/s file occupying the same space as a 132 kbit/s one.

105 kbit/s in Hi-MD mode is a different story.

More details on 66 and 105 kbit/s may be found here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=15928. I've just corrected padding and re-encoding information there.

Edited by Avrin

Problem is, if you have the original WAV/MP3 in yr library, SonicStage will convert that to LP2 (132kbps) and then transfer... Regardless of yr transfer settings.

You need to remove the original from library after converting to 105kbps (just be sure you have a backup, as the only method I have found to delete just the WAV/MP3 permanently deletes it).

EDIT: (After more experimenting this does not seem to be the case.. This post can be disregarded.)

Edited by raintheory

Still it doesn't look to me like SonicStage transfers 132 kbit/s if you have a 105 kbit/s file available. I've just ripped a track to WAV, and then converted it to 105 kbit/s without adding copy protection. Then transferred it to NetMD using RH1 without deleting the original WAV. The file was converted to the same bitrate with copy protection and transferred to the unit. The unit padded it and says "LP2 Stereo". There were three files on my computer - the WAV, and two 105 kbit/s files, one with, and the other without copy protection. Then I deleted everything except the WAV file, and converted it again, adding copy protection this time. Then transferred it. No conversion took place this time (since the file was already copy protected), it transferred, and also shows as "LP2 Stereo". And there are two files on my computer - the WAV and the copy protected 105 kbit/s.

SonicStage 4.2, Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

Thanks Avrin,

I might have messed something up or had a setting wrong. When I initially tried I saw after transferring: the WAV, the 105kbps w/o DRM, and then a 132kbps with DRM, which I'd assumed was transferred.

Weird, probably a setting I missed though.

I'm going to see if I missed something..

EDIT: Must have been a fluke the first time I tried. Just tried with an MP3 and it worked fine without deleting the MP3...

Apologies for taking us the long way around. :)

*Edited previous posts

Edited by raintheory