Hi-MD 1-GB discs getting rare?

Rate this topic

sallymae_hogsby

I normally order my 1GB discs from RecordingStore.com. My latest order was cancelled with this message:

Unfortunately the Sony HMD1G are backordered with no ETA at this time. We have cancelled your order and a full refund has been issued.

I know I can still get the discs at MiniDisco, but do you think the supply is starting to dry up?

Edited by sallymae_hogsby

Unfortunately the Sony HMD1G are backordered with no ETA at this time. We have cancelled your order and a full refund has been issued.

I know I can still get the discs at MiniDisco, but do you think the supply is starting to dry up?

I am sure that you can still get blank Hi-MD's at MiniDisco, but, the primary single disc code number for them has changed, it is the HMD1GL (2nd generation, Blue Series), not HMD1G (first generation). Those were discontinued when the second generation Hi-MD blanks came out back in 2006.

Edited by BIGHMW

looks like it, how much at recordingstore.com?

Here's the direct link to the item:

http://www.recordingstore.com/digital_audi...d__hi_md_/1605/

(not including shipping - in the US, it came out lower than Minidisco.)

They obviously still have it listed, in spite of my canceled order, so they apparently haven't given up on getting more in the future. I ordered (and received) a batch around 4 months ago.

There are still a lot of 1gb discs to be had, on line retailers, ebay etc. The question, I guess, is for how much longer

Sony I believe are still selling DAT tapes even though DAT recorder/players are now totally gone. They may therefore continue selling Hi-MD discs after the RH1 is officially stopped, however I think it is quite likely that these will only be obtainable through "professional" distributors and retailers. The supply in other words will dry up, but not altogether.

Edited by kino170878