Bugs in my MZ-R700

Rate this topic

silverclaws

Hi, I have a MZ-R700, I know old, but suits my purpose,(I hate relying on pc's). So, for the first time I have tried inputting track information via the menu controls and noticed bugs in my MD player. Little white mites on the LCD screen. Now I am wondering at the presence of these bugs, I am experiencing various problems with my MD unit, like blank bits, skipping and even bits where there is the squawl of a short fast forward type noise on playback. I understand this latter noise is most probably the recording, i.e. it didn't record very well. Oh, I recorded on LP4, which I know is iffy sound quality, but it suits my purpose with my current music.

The thought about these bugs, if they are in my MD unit, they could also be wandering around on important mechanism and electronics during record and playback. So, has anyone had this problem with wildlife in their MD unit ?

Any suggestions on how to rid the little buggers ?

Also,

How could I clean my MD unit, the internals and discs, (it has never had a clean internally and the discs have never been cleaned )

Hi, I have a MZ-R700, I know old, but suits my purpose,(I hate relying on pc's). So, for the first time I have tried inputting track information via the menu controls and noticed bugs in my MD player. Little white mites on the LCD screen. Now I am wondering at the presence of these bugs, I am experiencing various problems with my MD unit, like blank bits, skipping and even bits where there is the squawl of a short fast forward type noise on playback. I understand this latter noise is most probably the recording, i.e. it didn't record very well. Oh, I recorded on LP4, which I know is iffy sound quality, but it suits my purpose with my current music.

The thought about these bugs, if they are in my MD unit, they could also be wandering around on important mechanism and electronics during record and playback. So, has anyone had this problem with wildlife in their MD unit ?

Any suggestions on how to rid the little buggers ?

Also,

How could I clean my MD unit, the internals and discs, (it has never had a clean internally and the discs have never been cleaned )

Put the unit in a baggie and spray some insecticide into it. Seal the bag and let it sit for a day or so. Get a can of duster spray, or similar canned air, use the extension wand and carefully blow into the unit, with luck you should get them all out. Be careful not to put too much pressure on the heads etc.

Good luck,

Bob

Sony put the little eggs in all their MD units and, over time, they hatch and you have this problem. It's a sign you need a newer model.....Just being silly, I have never heard of this issue. Do you live in a high-humidity part of the world?

High Humidity ? well, it rains a lot, but then it is the sunny south west of England, Devon to be precise.

Well the little buggers are not wandering around on the LCD now, but they were earlier when I was inputting data.

Get a newer machine, yeah possibly, when the latest become ancient technology. Technology ludite here. I am a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle, just how good do you want to go when even LP4 sounds good enough for me, mind was copied by optic cable from high end sony cd D-EJ955, a sweet machine.

Thanks anyway people, gassing the little mites in a plastic bag seems a good idea, not that it is cruel, they had their chance, I did ask nicely for them to leave, but it seems there was a breakdown in communication somewhere.