Creating Audio CD with Sonic Stage 4.2.02

Rate this topic

lrvdb

I'm having trouble creating an audio CD from my personal recordings using Sonic Stage 4.2. These were recorded live using my RH1 and transferred to my PC via the SS that came with my recorder. In the past I have burned many audio CDs of these recordings. Several months ago I replaced my original version of SS with ver 4.2. Now I want to create another CD of some of these same recordings/playlists, but it seems that the only available format under "transfer" is to create an ATRAC CD. Nowhere can I find the tool to create an audio CD. And under the options menu, the drive and writing speed drop-downs are greyed out, and the box for "Type of CD" only lists ATRAC CD. I'm a novice at SS, and it's been a long time since I did this, but I don't remember it being all that difficult to find.

Is there some configuration I'm missing? Do I need to reinstall the software or go back to my earlier version?

My albums PLAY just fine. It's not that they need converting or anything. I removed the copy protection a couple years ago. It just seems that the software is unaware that I have a CD RW drive (actually two of them) in my system. They are not mapped to the usual drive D, but would this matter?

I am running windows XP SP2 and all its patches.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm stuck.

L

I'm having trouble creating an audio CD from my personal recordings using Sonic Stage 4.2. These were recorded live using my RH1 and transferred to my PC via the SS that came with my recorder. In the past I have burned many audio CDs of these recordings. Several months ago I replaced my original version of SS with ver 4.2. Now I want to create another CD of some of these same recordings/playlists, but it seems that the only available format under "transfer" is to create an ATRAC CD. Nowhere can I find the tool to create an audio CD. And under the options menu, the drive and writing speed drop-downs are greyed out, and the box for "Type of CD" only lists ATRAC CD. I'm a novice at SS, and it's been a long time since I did this, but I don't remember it being all that difficult to find.

Is there some configuration I'm missing? Do I need to reinstall the software or go back to my earlier version?

My albums PLAY just fine. It's not that they need converting or anything. I removed the copy protection a couple years ago. It just seems that the software is unaware that I have a CD RW drive (actually two of them) in my system. They are not mapped to the usual drive D, but would this matter?

I am running windows XP SP2 and all its patches.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm stuck.

L

This is a follow-up post to my previous plea for help re: missing the functionality to create an audio CD in SS 4.2

In searching for a fix for this problem, I came across a couple of references to "PxEngine." Can anybody tell me about this? Is it a patch to Sonic Stage, or does it hit windows files/registry? I'm wondering what the risks might be to trying to install/reinstall this. Apparently Sony suggests it as a fix for Vista users whose Sonic Stage does not recognize their CD/RW drives, so I'm wondering if it might possibly fix that same problem for me with windows XP.

This is a follow-up post to my previous plea for help re: missing the functionality to create an audio CD in SS 4.2

In searching for a fix for this problem, I came across a couple of references to "PxEngine." Can anybody tell me about this? Is it a patch to Sonic Stage, or does it hit windows files/registry? I'm wondering what the risks might be to trying to install/reinstall this. Apparently Sony suggests it as a fix for Vista users whose Sonic Stage does not recognize their CD/RW drives, so I'm wondering if it might possibly fix that same problem for me with windows XP.

I think pxEngine is something from Roxio. Probably taking over SS's ability to interact with the CD driver. You might have to deinstall CD Creator.

My experience is that Nero, OTOH, co-exists quite nicely with SS.

Stephen

PXEngine is the Sonic/Roxio burning engine. It possibly is what SonicStage uses to burn CDs and is a very good CD burning engine. What the references probably refer to is that it needs to be updated in order for SonicStage to recognize your CD burner as a valid destination. I don't know if that would solve your problem, though, especially if it used to work. Are these the same burners that you used to use?

Not quite sure what to recommend that wouldn't make it worse. An update to the Pxengine might help, but probably not. Does your CD burner work properly in other applications? Show up as a drive letter? I'd be tempted to say to try to uninstall and reinstall SonicStage (stick with 4.2) but not sure how that would affect any copy protection issues, but if you're sure you've removed the copy protection it might be worth it.

For what it's worth I have Easy CD Creator 8, Nero 6, and SonicStage 4.2 coexisting quite happily on one PC. And my burners are on weird drive letters so that shouldn't affect it either. I'd think the problem is with your SonicStage install more than anything...

Edited by Justin42

My point was that, especially if the Sonic Stage and Roxio software are attempting to use different versions of the same engine, that you might have trouble (it's known in the trade as DLL Hell - there is no one version that works for both). I recall that earlier versions of Roxio were very very non-portable across different hardware platforms and drives.

It looks as if Sony offers some "improved" version of PXEngine. I imagine it might still break whatever other version you had, from an old Roxio CDCreator.

Or I may be completely wrong :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. It was just what I needed. I had no idea that Roxio and Sonic Stage shared anything, much less this PXEngine. Not long ago I UNinstalled an old Roxio application from my system, and it must have taken this PXEngine (or some other shared file) with it. So I just installed the newer version of Roxio which I was thinking of using, and whallah!!! my Sonic Stage now presents me with the option to burn an audio CD. It recognized my CD drive, and successfully burned a new CD from one of my playlists.

thanks a million for taking the time to help me! You folks are the absolute BEST!!

L