Canadian Border to Check iPods for Copyright Infringment

Rate this topic

Sonicalflair

"The federal government is secretly negotiating an agreement to revamp international copyright laws which could make the information on Canadian iPods, laptop computers or other personal electronic devices illegal and greatly increase the difficulty of travelling with such devices"

Interesting....

I wonder if minidisc would fall into the mix...

probably not so another point for minidisc domination!

link link

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.h...4f-47f6fc96ce5e

I love the Image that was used for this

copyright4545ff45.jpg

Goodbye to the days of the DJ actually TELLING you to get your Tape decks ready for the Sunday 7 Show , in which 7 LP's would be played back to back with the only commercial Break being to allow time to turn over the Album and clean it before dropping the needle.

Welcome to the 21rst century , "Resistance is Futile , All will be assimilated "

I REALLY dont think I will be traveling anywhere near Canada or any other country with that mentality anytime soon .

Edited by Guitarfxr

From what I've read it will be all borders, but it has to be approved on July 8th. Wonder what they can do to a non US citizen from a country where their rules don't apply regarding piracy? and how will they go through thousands of songs on an ipod to see if one may be circumspect??!!, How about minidisc, will the have SS at the border?

Interesting times indeed, glad I don't go there, just more reasons to avoid,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Good thing I got all of my imported units already (except for one NW-HD5 from the UK I will be bidding on at 10:21 am PDT), this is total BS, I am definitely keeping my 3 NH700's (all CDN versions), my 2 RH710's (all EU versions) and my 2 D-NE700's (both AU versions), because if I sel them now I might have another case of "seller's remorse" that may force me to go into the (if this law passes) black market just to get MD/Hi-MD/HDD equipment.

Tell me, would this (law) also apply to stuff bought on Japan Direct, Bluetin, Audio Cubes and "buyfromjapan" on eBay? If so better start importing and stocking up on blank discs, RH1's, and other MD/Hi-MD/HDD units, Eggo/Altus headphones, NUDE EX and NUDE earbuds and other goodies for our units.... RIGHT NOW!!!

Edited by BIGHMW

Good thing I got all of my imported units already (except for one NW-HD5 from the UK I will be bidding on at 10:21 am PDT), this is total BS, I am definitely keeping my 3 NH700's (all CDN versions), my 2 RH710's (all EU versions) and my 2 D-NE700's (both AU versions), because if I sel them now I might have another case of "seller's remorse" that may force me to go into the (if this law passes) black market just to get MD/Hi-MD/HDD equipment.

Tell me, would this (law) also apply to stuff bought on Japan Direct, Bluetin, Audio Cubes and "buyfromjapan" on eBay? If so better start importing and stocking up on blank discs, RH1's, and other MD/Hi-MD/HDD units, Eggo/Altus headphones, NUDE EX and NUDE earbuds and other goodies for our units.... RIGHT NOW!!!

The "copyright police" won't have time to prevent imports of second hand MD equipment. Seems what they are really targeting is Blu-ray, ironically no point until everyone agreed on it.

But it's true: the everything-is-free-internet had to end, just like the dot-com bubble. Make the most of it.

The one that worries me is region-free DVD players being outlawed. There was a nice player being made in Taiwan for a company here in Vancouver and I think someone bought them off. This means that pre-Vista PCs may end up being the only way to view a DVD that some idiot won't manufacture for your country but wants to protect at home.

I don't think international trade will cease. That's scaremongering. I think the forces of DRMness will kick around for a while and come to some compromise over new movies, that's all. If the world economy craters maybe there won't be enough of those to worry about anyway. I always viewed BluRay as a tool to sell lots of ridiculously oversized TV screens :scratchhead:

Welcome to the 21rst century , "Resistance is Futile , All will be assimilated "

I REALLY dont think I will be traveling anywhere near Canada or any other country with that mentality anytime soon .

What mentality? The whole row is erupting because our Canadian lawmakers are being blackmailed into the DMCA or something resembling it. Hollywood's complaint is that Canada is a source of piracy, and so the US is threatening to make us (and the world) comply with this super secret ACTA. Super secret because noone has the guts to present it to the electorate.

Try googling "ACTA copyright" (in the news, not the regular search engine) and you will quickly see what I mean.

Good. I want to see who's the brave agent who'll check all the 3000 plus songs on each Ipod? Who's going to pay for that? Can the tourism afford that? What if I can provide proof I do own those songs legally? Will they go through every single receipt?

LOL, RIAA and MPAA.

The bill, introduced by Industry Minister Jim Prentice, would also reduce the penalties that companies could seek for most private infringements of copyrights to a maximum total of C$500 ($490) from a previous C$20,000 per infringement.

Currently, for example, someone downloading five movies without authorization for private use could be sued for C$100,000, whereas now the maximum would be C$500 -- a level that would make firms unlikely to pursue such individuals.

"It's not a fine. It's actually a form of damages. In other words, it's the rights holders that have to pursue. It's not the state -- it's not criminal," a government official, who asked not to be identified, told reporters in a briefing.

Heavy, commercial levels of piracy, however, could face far more severe liabilities in corporate lawsuits and would also continue to be subject to government prosecution, with penalties of up to five years in prison.

The bill would still exempt Internet service providers from liability for copyright violations by their subscribers, and would require them only to pass on notices of violations rather than to take down offending material as required in the United States.

It would also allow consumers to record television and radio programs for playing back at a later time, a practice known as time-shifting, but would prohibit people from keeping them indefinitely in a personal library of recordings.

Really the only bit that disturbs me is the last sentence. Some of my most cherished recordings are radio broadcasts from many years ago.

But overall it looks like a reasonable way to make it illegal to make money from selling copies of things you don't own.