Hi-MD units expensive on E-Bay

Rate this topic

mangizmo

I was just thinking of picking up another Hi-Md unit as a spare and was suprised what high prices they are fetching on E-Bay......as they become rarer, the price has gone up it seems...still a demand then :thank_you2:

Probably just us buying from each other...

I'm noticing a scarcity not just of Hi-MD units, but of all MD units. It seems like only 4 months ago an eBay search for minidisc would bring up about 10 pages of hits. Just now I got only 3 pages, and a lot of the items were accessories and discs. I wonder if all of the dabblers have already moved to iPod, and us junkies will have to fight it out for the dwindling stock? I'm very tempted to add another one or two units to my reserve. What do you think?

I have 5 MD units and one HiMD unit and I think I'm good for now..finally. I have bought an sold a few to get to this point and now have the ones I want, though i may swing for a pro deck in great shape if one comes along cheap. Now the quest is on for a stock of discs. I use gold sony discs for album transfers, except for clear discs which I use for Motown stuff ( I have a lot of these). I use colored discs for various artists comps and blue HiMd discs for data. Can I have enough, don't know. I'm so far from having all my Cd's let alone Lps transfered, its hard to say

I'm noticing a scarcity not just of Hi-MD units, but of all MD units. It seems like only 4 months ago an eBay search for minidisc would bring up about 10 pages of hits. Just now I got only 3 pages, and a lot of the items were accessories and discs. I wonder if all of the dabblers have already moved to iPod, and us junkies will have to fight it out for the dwindling stock? I'm very tempted to add another one or two units to my reserve. What do you think?

Broaden your search to worldwide. Lots there.

Broaden your search to worldwide. Lots there.

I guess it depends on your definition of "lots." I just did a worldwide search, narrowed specifically to players/recorders (not accessories), and I only came up with 134 items. And even in that list, only 90 or so items really were actual MD units. To me, 90 available units on the globe feels scarce.

--V.

There are other e-auctions & e-stores worldwide. Check out France's, Luxembourg's, Germany's and other European countries' web. East Asia still has loads to offer too. Even some NIB old stock unsold units.

The problem with other e-stores worldwide is the shipping cost is too expensive, and there's the posibility of your purchase getting stolen, lost, or damaged. It's a hastle to rectifiy the situation with an overseas merchant. But ebay U.S. does have a shortage of MD units and blank MDs. I've noticed the price has gone up as well, so probably just a simple case of supply and demand.

By the way, there's a used black RH1 on ebay going for $355, and it has one bidder. makes me want to sell my RH1 and get an iPod.....NOT!!

Edited by Chris G

The problem with other e-stores worldwide is the shipping cost is too expensive, and there's the posibility of your purchase getting stolen, lost, or damaged. It's a hastle to rectifiy the situation with an overseas merchant. But ebay U.S. does have a shortage of MD units and blank MDs. I've noticed the price has gone up as well, so probably just a simple case of supply and demand.

By the way, there's a used black RH1 on ebay going for $355, and it has one bidder. makes me want to sell my RH1 and get an iPod.....NOT!!

iPOd? Get an iPhone (3G), lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up two MZ NH600s for £60 each (always found the 600 OK for my requirements and it seems reliable enough).....they are definately getting harder to find, I think grabbing another might be a good idea...but who knows ?....I now have 4 Hi-Md units...so I should be OK

There are other e-auctions & e-stores worldwide. Check out France's, Luxembourg's, Germany's and other European countries' web. East Asia still has loads to offer too. Even some NIB old stock unsold units.

Do you think these sellers would ship to the USA?? Are these sites in English?

If you have any links, I would appreciate it... let's not forget that supposedly Yahoo Japan auctions are supposed to open up to the USA this summer... or so we were told.

Do you think these sellers would ship to the USA?? Are these sites in English?

If you have any links, I would appreciate it... let's not forget that supposedly Yahoo Japan auctions are supposed to open up to the USA this summer... or so we were told.

Can you imagine the meltdown that is going to happen to the servers when it does ????!!!??? :spiteful: , :bomb:

• 1 month later...

There seem to be a fair number of HiMD units (and NetMD too) available on ebay.co.uk

Problem is, most of them refuse to ship outside the UK. How to educate these sellers that there is a worldwide market out there?

I was ok, I picked up a used NH700 (from a private seller) for about $50 using a relative's account. There is one company that is selling what *looks* like lots of them as a boxed item (I am guessing, they have disclaimers saying unit is B+ whatever that means), for $90 or so. So I guess the diehards here need to make friends with the Brit members of our forum........

Just thought you'd like to know.

• 1 month later...

I will have to get a Pic of it , The only Non HiMD still being made I think , Except for the MZ-B10 ( But I think it is done as well just cant confirm that )

it is similar to the MZN 920 , but I think it might be a Japan only model . it is about 25,000 yen MD LP , NetMD , capable

that might be why there is no browser info . If I get some I will post it

The stand-alone 'R' nomenclature with Sony MD refers to pre-netmd recorders. Nor is there anyway that a new unit could have been released, Japan-only or worldwide, that we wouldn't know about as we've been starved for anything md related for a few years now. If the face reminded you of an n920 then they might have brought some old stock in from an outlying store; it is a large might but you saw something so it's gotta be something. My 100 en is on it being an r909 or r910 as they both have the same jog dial and volume dial placement as the n920's. Between the two, 909 and 910, the 910 had a peculiar pinkish / orange model available.

Edited by bland10000

At Yodobashi there were N920 's , ............... Silver , Pink , and Blue

at the other place , these were not 920's , Like I said it was a quick pass , and I need to get a pic , but I am pretty sure it was R series and not N

@ Bland1000 , right on the N920

The others I saw were older R910's ,...... My Bad . ( 910's still siting on the shelf ) but they are gone now as well

Edited by Guitarfxr