"Initializing" display message

Rate this topic

bluecrab

Because my MDS-JB940 deck would eject any disc I put in it with a C13 Read Error message, I was preparing to put it into service mode as a last resort. I had sent the deck to Sony, who said they could not repro the problem, and when I got it back from them it did work properly - for a while. But soon I got the C13 message again and couldn't use the deck. I put it in its box and left it there. Every once in a while I'd pull it out, plug it in, and give it a try - same old C13 Read Error. So finally I figured if it wasn't going to work anyway, I'd give service mode a try.

Earlier today I plugged in the unit. It powered up as usual, but this time it displayed "Initializing" for a few seconds before displaying "No Disc." I have not seen the Initializing message before. It is meaningful though, as the unit read and played one of my recorded MDs, and also recognized a blank one.

I did find this in the UG, which explains the meaning:

Initialize (flashing):

The Setup menu settings have been lost.

Or the contents recorded by the timer have disappeared over time and are not available for saving to disc. [followed by stuff about Program Play, etc.]

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to get the unit to initialize? I'm happy to have the unit working, but based on past events, I can't count on its staying that way. Maybe I should just count myself as lucky this time and hope the thing keeps working. I wonder why it initialized this time and never previously.

Edited by bluecrab

I wonder if there is a CR2032 battery on the circuit board powering the memory , old battery memory loss , screwed up function .

That would be an easy fix , but I am not familiar with that deck , just with principals of electronics.

According to the block diagram for the the display/power section in the service manual, there is a BT701 Lithium Ion battery (battery, lithium secondary is the description). I didn't see a CR2032 in the Electrical Parts List. The BT701 appears to be the only battery in the deck, and it does seem to be replaceable. However, even if I could be sure that's the problem, I wouldn't be sure of how to go about replacing the battery. Maybe I'll ask Sony and hope for the best. I think I'll see how the deck behaves on subsequent power-ups first.

Thanks!

FWIW this is roughly the sequence I recall when the drive in my JE-510 died. It may be nothing more (or less) complicated than the head either a. losing connection (as described in several threads here) or b. out and out dying.

You might want to read all you can about repairing the head connection, because a complete replacement drive module (they refer to it as the BD board, I think) runs around $300.

Sorry to be discouraging.

update: Check any of the service manuals: you will probably find that C13 means "Laser Power Check". IIRC this error happened to me when the head wouldn't drop onto the playing surface.

I'm sure the expert hardware fixers here will be able to explain this. But I would suggest you check to see if the head is going down onto the surface of the disk as it should. Not doing so, was exactly what was wrong with mine. I gave up on fixing it... in fact I'm sure I bust it forever. But it's quite possible you *can* fix it if you ask the right people here, and are very very gentle.

According to the block diagram for the the display/power section in the service manual, there is a BT701 Lithium Ion battery (battery, lithium secondary is the description). I didn't see a CR2032 in the Electrical Parts List. The BT701 appears to be the only battery in the deck, and it does seem to be replaceable. However, even if I could be sure that's the problem, I wouldn't be sure of how to go about replacing the battery. Maybe I'll ask Sony and hope for the best. I think I'll see how the deck behaves on subsequent power-ups first.

Thanks!

Ok it does have a Battery powering memory systems , That battery would be needed for maintaining all factory settings , or any other function tracking aspects of the circuit

If you can get the battery out , take it to Batteries Plus , or a Battery specialty store , and see if there is an equivalent , it is mainly the voltage and current draw , that is needed

If it is soldered to the board , and you know how to use s soldering iron , heat the contacts on the board not the battery , to loosen it ( use some desoldering copper wick to get the solder off )

I plugged in the deck again and turned it on, again getting the Initialize message, and again after that the deck appeared to function normally. When I can, I will take a look at the battery, but for now I am wondering if the deck's initializing every time it is powered on is a problem in any way. I would like to leave the deck plugged in, use it (probably a few times a week or so), and see what happens. Thanks for all the responses so far. this really is an amazing community!