Recording PCM > Which way?

Rate this topic

KHA

Hello everybody,

I just received today the HI-MD deck Onkyo md-105FX from japan (i live in paris, france)

I bought it via Audiocubes 2 which is very good.

Anyway, i have a question, i hesitate to record some of my Hi-MD with my computer using my MZ-RH1 or using the cd and Hi-MD deck...

In thie first case, the cd is in the computer, then go through the simple burner software, then through the usb cable then the Hi-MD recorder in PCM ....

In the second way, i can just use my HI-MD deck and record from the cd deck in PCM (Both linked by an optical cable).

IS there any difference between these two methods? The usb cable loses some audio quality?

The advantage of computer is the name of traks, album, artist is directly recorded by simple burner.

Do you guys have any idea of the best choice?

Thank you

Kha

Edited by kha

The whole beauty of minidiscs is that they are digital. Once you have a digital signal (such as CD) unless you compress things further you can't go wrong.

Once you have compressed, you're ok as long as you don't switch formats from a lossy compressed format - not all compression formats are lossy.

Sounds like both of these methods involve digital to digital. You're right about the convenience of track labelling. But you should be able to record on the Onkyo and then label on the RH1. That's exactly what I was doing yesterday, except I used an SP deck to get the signal from analog (an old LP). But I was making a "new" CD, so uploading **from** the RH1 to computer followed next.

All the Sony formats are pretty good, and most of them way better than most MP3, for listening purposes. The only reason to care about how much your data are mangled (as opposed to what the sound quality is like), is if you are making an archive copy, which you might need to copy again in some years - when the current generation of records and recording equipment goes obsolete.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Do you guys have any idea of the best choice?

1. install EAC: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

2. Rip the CD with EAC to WAV. This will ensure you get a more secure and accurate rip vs simpleburner/sonicstage.

3. Transfer the WAV to the RH1 using Sonicstage.

There is no advantage doing realtime recording in your scenario other than you can listen to the music at the same time.

there may be one advantage of recording using the deck. the unit itself will be able to edit the recordings or any other hi md unit will be able to do the editing. which cannot be done if you use simple burner. also. i believe using the deck you can upload the recordings made to any computer. if you use simple burner you can only upload to the computer you downloaded from.. please correct me if any of these statements are wrong???

there may be one advantage of recording using the deck. the unit itself will be able to edit the recordings or any other hi md unit will be able to do the editing. which cannot be done if you use simple burner. also. i believe using the deck you can upload the recordings made to any computer. if you use simple burner you can only upload to the computer you downloaded from.. please correct me if any of these statements are wrong???

SB will let you do some editing such as labelling tracks, deleting and inserting, changing groups / albums etc.

In the case of CD ripping SB will access Gracenote for track / artist info etc.

To actually edit the music itself other than insert trackmarks etc you would normally use a music / sound editing program outside either SS or SB.

Incidentally even with SP recordings you can EDIT in SB. For example I sometimes use one of my decks for dubbing (copying) a CD to MD. This in my case is done at 2X but some decks will work at 4X.

Now put your MD into say an RH1 or whatever portable unit you have, attach it to the computer and insert the CD you've just dubbed.

Gracenote will give you track , artist and album info which you can then edit into your MD which will normally say trk01, trk02 etc for SP recordings.

(Manual edit will also of course work so you can enter your own track, artist, other track names).

SB can even handle CD TEXT but that's another issue.

Note however that amount of text you can enter is less than with NetMd (LP2) or Hi-SP but a straight cut and paste will normally work.

SB is actually a very useful program in all sorts of ways unlike SS (or as it's becoming more famously known as SONIC RAGE).

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle