New for 2008:

MikeRofone

sounds cool...

why the heck would they not include hi-md support though? doesn't really make sense... I mean i know it never caught on as much as legacy, but come on.. seeing what else it has make it odd that this would be absent.

One GOOD thing about this shows that MD media will still be available for a while yet -- Panasonic AFAIK also makes MD blanks.

Seems strange that no HI-MD support is built in --especially for a NEW unit. Perhaps unlike Onkyo Panasonic is seen as a deadly competitor to SONY and therefore Sony won't supply the decoding algorithms for Hi-MD (Greedy Corporate scumbag Litigation Lawyers again --wish that whole breed of sub-humans could be made to disappear at a stroke).

Like the idea however of SD card support --means you can get SD==>MD easily without doing a lot of convoluted work.

I might actually get one of these -- power supply is not a problem --in Europe at least you can easily find Universal power supplies cheaply --the newer ones just plug into your standard home system (e.g here in UK is 220V), and select your O/P voltage. All our gear works on 50 - 60HZ so the difference between 50 and 60 HZ for this type of equipment is not significant (don't try this however with Electric drills / other stuff that depends on the mains frequency however).

If you are in London then Tottenham Court Road is the place to find all this stuff --overseas visitors can get it tax free as well. (Tube / Metro Tottenham Ct Road).

Radio tuner is not important as I can capture quite high quality broadcasting from the Satellite systems and feed this directly into the MD unit if I'm recording from the Radio. The SKY box we have in the UK has a nice Optical out as well as HDMI and analog so this works fine.

Still amazed that Sony hasn't introduced something --even a car Hi-MD unit would be nice. Aux in works fine but it's much easier to pop an MD into the car radio.

Cheers

K

Edited by 1kyle

In addition to the Panasonic there is also the Kenwood CLK-7i-S and the Sony Netjuke NAS-M95HD. It's good news for Legacy MD isn't it. I always figured the 'old minidisc' would keep going while Hi-MD would be phased out. Although Onkyo are still making their line of Hi-MD units, they are the only ones I think still with an interest in Hi-MD.

Hey, THANKS for giving me model numbers of other new MD equipment :victory: I'll look into them in due course and get them added to the Equipment Browser. It's hard for me to find them and I rely on what I read here and elsewhere to get the info. since MD has basically totally disappeared where I live.

• 2 weeks later...

I could definitely use one of those. Sadly though, I fear finding one in England will be impossible, as is usually the case. No Hi-Md though. Why?

• 2 weeks later...

I always figured the 'old minidisc' would keep going while Hi-MD would be phased out. Although Onkyo are still making their line of Hi-MD units, they are the only ones I think still with an interest in Hi-MD.

Precisely why I only make LP2 discs now. I have more options for units from Ebay, and more options for what I can play my MDs on.

TBH, I actually hate 1GB HiMD discs... too many albums/groups to skip through :P I think 2-3 albums on one MD is perfect :)

Precisely why I only make LP2 discs now. I have more options for units from Ebay, and more options for what I can play my MDs on.

TBH, I actually hate 1GB HiMD discs... too many albums/groups to skip through :P I think 2-3 albums on one MD is perfect :)

I found a use for MDs that I never would have expected. I was at our local library with my wife, who got some books-on-cd. I found a 5-cd set of The Planets by Dava Sobel. At LP4. it almost fit it all on one 80-min. disc, but I had to put #5 on a separate MD. Yeah, with Hi-MD it would've gone on one, but then I could not have listened in my car, which was my intention. I am enjoying being narrated to. Great stuff. Great medium.

I found a use for MDs that I never would have expected. I was at our local library with my wife, who got some books-on-cd. I found a 5-cd set of The Planets by Dava Sobel. At LP4. it almost fit it all on one 80-min. disc, but I had to put #5 on a separate MD. Yeah, with Hi-MD it would've gone on one, but then I could not have listened in my car, which was my intention. I am enjoying being narrated to. Great stuff. Great medium.

For the couple times I did book-on-MD I discovered LP2 was better... to me there was just such a terrible sound quality going down to LP4, plus most books have LONG titles per track (like HARRY POTTER AND THE BLAH BLAH BLAH, CHAPTER 3) and Sonic Stage (or the MD) can't keep so much TEXT info, so the latter tracks would have no names on them.

But yeah, gotta love MD! :P

• 5 weeks later...