Battery Only Charges via Computer?

Rate this topic

casuall002

I have an MZ-RH910 and if I plug it in via ac adapter, it works but dies immediately after I pull the plug. I've tried cleaning the battery. Changing the rotation of how the battery is in. Disc in, disc out...Anyway, you get it. If I just use the ac adapter, I don't get anything. OCCASIONALLY, I will get a quick flash or flicker of "charging"

However, if I plug it in to the computer, it charges. Not sure how much (we'll see)

Any thoughts?

I just had a similar situation today with my RH910. Today is exactly a year since I bought it, so I decided to listen to it (it had been stored for several months with the battery removed). I cleaned the battery and inserted it. It seemed totally flat, and refused to charge normally. The "Charging" indicator flashed for some time and went off, after which the unit was able to play for several minutes, and then turned itself off. Repeated charging attempts led to nothing more. But thoroughly cleaning the battery contacts (especially the negative one) revived the battery. The unit is already playing for several hours without an additional charge. Looks like contact oxidation was the cause of the problem.

Edited by Avrin

Well, the battery finally went flat after about 4.5 hours of playing back Pink Floyd in SP/Hi-SP. Then it charged as it should (for some 2.5 hours) from the adapter. Still, I'm going to subject it to a couple of full discharge/charge cycles.

Edited by Avrin

Well, the battery finally went flat after about 4.5 hours of playing back Pink Floyd in SP/Hi-SP.

Pink Floyd ,......... And yet again , the Russian show his depth of mental acuity. Avrin , I will guess that King Crimson will be next in the MD , or Marillion , or Gentle Giant , or ....... crap I am dating myself again .......... :declare:

Avrin , I will guess that King Crimson will be next in the MD

It has been there long before Pink Floyd. 10 Hi-MD's of King Crimson, plus volumes of solo works. And I was lucky enough to meet several of the guys in person.

Edited by Avrin

Going back to the original topic. After the charging process, my RH910 played pack two HiMD discs containing the whole "Oh By The Way" box by Pink Floyd in Hi-SP (I'll abstain from commenting on the sound quality of the last few CD's in the box) . Then it recharged nicely again.

Charged overnight via computer and not it charges as normal?

This is absolutely not normal. The battery is most certainly dead. Get a GP gumstick as a replacement. Or even better - get two GP gumsticks with their supplied charger.

Edited by Avrin