ANOTHER Problem

Rate this topic

casuall002

Got a track in the middle of my show that I'm getting an error on. I've tried 2 versions of SS...4.0 CP on XP and 4.3 CP on Vista. Is there any other way to export this digitally? I'm sick of the MD player. Always a pain.

The error I get is

"Failed to read the data"

It plays fine

Edited by casuall002

Any specific program you'd recommend for it?

Sorry but now I'm a bit confused. Do I hook it up to my stereo and then run my line out of my receiver to my computer. I don't have a line in on my computer unless that is the "headphone" or "mic" symbol

Edited by casuall002

What may have happened is a bad spot on the disc. If you play back the whole track there would be a gap in it. Put a track mark on either side of the gap and you may be able to upload the two segments around the bad spot.

If it's happening consistently your record head might be wearing out.

And if the uploading still doesn't work...

----------------

Can you connect the MD and play the song back from the disc through SonicStage out of your computer's speakers? You could record that with

Audacity, a very good free recording program. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Edit/Preferences is where you choose the input for Recording I/O (it'll be fairly obvious--might be the name of your computer's soundcard or Microsoft Sound Mapper) and the sliders next to the little mic pictures on the right of the Audacity console are the levels.

------

Can't play back through SonicStage? It's analog time.

The Mic plug on your computer is an input. Unfortunately, it might be mono and it might be noisy. You'll have to try and see. Record through Audacity and you can see the waveform going in, and play it back to see if there's static.

You can plug your mic into the jack, record something and listen to what you've recorded. Tap each stereo mic separately to see if you're getting mono or stereo.

Depending on how important the track is to you, you could get an external soundcard via USB like the Griffin iMic (stupid name, it's not a mic) used for about $15 on Ebay, which would give you a clean line-in input. It looks like a Mac accessory but works fine with any Windows after Windows 98.

Edited by A440