Sonic Stage 4.3 Suddenly Stopped Working in Vista

Rate this topic

heynow1301

If I had to guess I would say that it will turn out nothing is missing, but that some aspect of the way SS encrypts data has fallen afoul of tougher security restrictions on Vista, in turn caused by people trying to hack it.

For example maybe the RunAs feature Microsoft is increasingly encouraging people to use. It works like this: you log on as an unprivileged user, and when you want to run some program ***known to Windows*** the system is able to Run that program with increased (Admin) credentials. Naturally this involves security issues. Evidence supporting this guess - SS has always been promised that it will run IF AND ONLY IF YOU ARE AN ADMINISTRATOR.

If the last SP for Vista defaulted certain users to less privilege (and the users in question may not be the guy you log on as, but some system account that gets used temporarily during program startup), this would cause the kind of stuff we are seeing. I'm not clear whether your user type, or the presence of add-on modules like Roxio or DLA is enough to cause the problem. The other possibility is that you need to run Sonic Stage from a proper shortcut that increases the credentials of the running program. It occurs to me as I type, that Sony's installation provides such a shortcut, but that those of us who are accustomed to making our own shortcut, or "double-clicking" omgjbox.exe might be out of luck.

But to solve this, I need someone with a version that works to do a little helping for the diagnosis, so I can detect the differences between working and non-working as the program loads.

It looks as if the problem is the *enforcement* of UAC as of SP1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

You may need to reconfigure Vista to enable the Administrator account, though I think this likely only applies to corporate machines on the corporate LAN (could be wrong though).

Here's a useful link for the nerdier of you.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/cc300361.aspx

So my Sonic Stage started working again suddenly yesterday. Not sure why but here are the things that I did:

Created new shortcut on desktop.

Checked Run as administrator.

Clicked run in XP Compatibility mode.

When it didn't run - SS tried to go online to fix the problem.

I canceled the fix. Went back in and unchecked the XP Compatibility, kept Run as Administrator checked though.

Opened program and it worked.

I haven't had the nerve to shut it down and try to open the program again though...

Hope this helps someone else...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

ive had the same problem as everyone else here after an update yesterday... now im not as wizzy as other ppl here but from pieceing sum stuff together about changeing permisions and runnin in 256k or admins... it seems ur all just trying change the shortcuts settings...

i managed to get mine to work just fine by going through the start menu and just clicking on the sonicstage icon....budda bing it works with no stupid windows messages XD

for anyone that isnt sure wat i ment...

start>

all programs>

sonicstage folder>

sonicstage.

if that dosnt work for u then uh dunno

Edited by failshark