any source for Sony ES minidiscs ?

Rate this topic

Smokey Lynx

I like the heavier duty case vSony ES minidiscs and now wish I had stocked up when they were still around .

Does anyone know of any retailers still selling these blanks ?

thanks

Yodobashi Camera here in Japan has the ES , I was there two dats ago and took pix , just havent posted them yet

I've been looking for them as well. Do they ship to the US?

Maharishi ;

Thank you for the tip , the ES discs are the thick white 80 minute jobs ?

I went to the web site of the retailer you suggested and they do ship to addresses outside of Japan but I haven't converted the Yen to $ to see if it's cost effective for me yet .

Your ID picture of the dog with the Headphones ... funny .

Edited by Smokey Lynx

Maharishi ;

Thank you for the tip , the ES discs are the thick white 80 minute jobs ?

I went to the web site of the retailer you suggested and they do ship to addresses outside of Japan but I haven't converted the Yen to $ to see if it's cost effective for me yet .

Your ID picture of the dog with the Headphones ... funny .

Seriously...Yodobashi ships outside Japan? Like maybe to the USA? :huh:

I was going to suggest these great guys from whom I have bought ES in the past but they are out :(

http://www.attrill.com/d-e/products.pl

I have come back to MD after a few years going through several digital players. Luckily I saved 1 cherished ES disc which I couldn't bear to part with. :-) It really stands out with its almost-German build quality, white casing and gold trim.

They even have some people who speak english , You have to ask .

Thanks for the retailer outlet guitarfxer . I linked to the store from their entry in Wikipedia and saw the page and information in English with the Minidsic prices and shipping info but have not been able to find it again , only the all Japanese page .

• 3 weeks later...

I like the heavier duty case vSony ES minidiscs and now wish I had stocked up when they were still around .

thanks

Hmmmmm the Sony ES has a heavy duty case?? Are you talking about the exterior slip-sleeve case or the actual MD shell?? I've never held one, but I always just assumed the Sony ES discs were plastic. Please let me know - I'm very curious.

For me the toughest winners for exterior case or general heft have been the TDK Pros, and the Sony 2000's.

md2000a.jpg

md2000b.jpg

PRObox2.jpg

PROs.jpg

onk03.jpg

They are the best of the plastic shell MD's. Of course that the ones you mentioned in metal shells are the most sturdy, but they are also the most expensive. The ES series held best value and were available in large quantities. I'd ordered them by the 100 at the time. They actually do feel heavier, and the shutter feels more solid too. ES series also meant QC control is highest on those MD's during production. They have the lowest error rate possible supposedly. A 1Gb ES Hi-MD would have been awesome.

I recently let all of my ES's go, because of me going PCM only, which leaves the standard 1Gb Hi-MD blanks option only, but I do regret the feel of my ES's :yes3: ...

And they have the best designed cases too in my eyes!

This is good to hear, I'm going to have to get me some to see what they're like. Thanks

PS - how does the ES series differ from the premium? Looks similar...

417k6uO6ctL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by theblueraja

What about HHB discs? I saw online a review by a guy in 2003 comparing MD2000 and TDK, and said that the HHB MD80 were better (cheaper and sounding the same). Personally, I have not tried any of these. I just ordered some HHBs because I can't find any (in the USA) of the other good ones suggested in this forum. The HHB specifications look good, though they are not even mentioned in this forum (doing a search for "HHB").

http://www.minidisct.com/cgi-bin/rms/equip...do=email-friend

What about HHB discs? I saw online a review by a guy in 2003 comparing MD2000 and TDK, and said that the HHB MD80 were better (cheaper and sounding the same). Personally, I have not tried any of these. I just ordered some HHBs because I can't find any (in the USA) of the other good ones suggested in this forum. The HHB specifications look good, though they are not even mentioned in this forum (doing a search for "HHB").

http://www.minidisct.com/cgi-bin/rms/equip...do=email-friend

The HHBs are very easy to come by... I've seen several web sites selling them... they're also ugly. :P

GEEEZ this guy is EXPENSIVE ,

absolutely ridiculous prices .............. Phillip look at the prices on my post on page 1 , at the stores here a 10 pack is about 19 dollars

he wants 65 dollars !!!!!!????????

You're forgetting 2 important factors.

1) The average person does not have access to a store that sells them

2) Ebay... there are no rules, anything goes, and most of the time even the rediculous prices sell.

If this was for 10 new TDK Pros, I'd buy them up for that price.

You're forgetting 2 important factors.

1) The average person does not have access to a store that sells them

2) Ebay... there are no rules, anything goes, and most of the time even the rediculous prices sell.

If this was for 10 new TDK Pros, I'd buy them up for that price.

well here an ES 80 minute single is 390 yen , a ten pack with NO pack discount is then 3900 yen but of course there is that PACK discount

65 dollars PLUS shipping is an outrageous price , well over what what they cost in SINGLE packages, then ,........you pay shipping ON TOP of that

Edited by Guitarfxr