Which is a good MD portable player

Rate this topic

Smokey Lynx

I own a Sony MZ-N420D portable MD walkman and use it with a pair of JBL headphones when I ... walk . I would like to get another unit as a backup as this one is a few years old now . I don't need a tuner , recording or computer input output capabilities and wonder if there is any better unit for plain old listening to as walkman unit . I only dub CD comps or discs to each disc I use from my Sony 440 deck. nothing fancy and I don't use the long play modes at all . Is there any better unit for this function than the bare bones 410 or 420 units that sounds better .... or are you only paying for features ?

Any tips certainly appreciated .

Edited by Smokey Lynx

You say you don't need computer input/output. But you are going to need some way to get music onto the disc if your 420 ever wears out. So you still need to look at NetMD units for that.

If you're serious about not needing the computer connection, you could go back to the R series--the R700 or R900 were pretty sturdy units. Those are recorders, and you could also look into players (model numbers begin with MZ-E***). Go to the Browser tab at www.minidisc.org and you can see all the models.

The MZ-N707 is reliable, too.

Practically speaking, look at Ebay and see what's available, then check the Browser at minidisc.org. If something looks tempting, ask here about the specific model.

You say you don't need computer input/output. But you are going to need some way to get music onto the disc if your 420 ever wears out. So you still need to look at NetMD units for that.

If you're serious about not needing the computer connection, you could go back to the R series--the R700 or R900 were pretty sturdy units. Those are recorders, and you could also look into players (model numbers begin with MZ-E***). Go to the Browser tab at www.minidisc.org and you can see all the models.

The MZ-N707 is reliable, too.

Practically speaking, look at Ebay and see what's available, then check the Browser at minidisc.org. If something looks tempting, ask here about the specific model.

Thanks for the suggestions , I forgot to mention in my original post I simply copy CD's from my Sony CD player to my Sony 440 Md deck for walkman listening

Hey Smokey, The MZ-E(?) series are players only , The MZ-E620 or 7** series have GREAT battery life ( they are also MDLP compatible )

But I even have an old MZ-E33 that matches the Blue of my MZ-R50 , SP only mode units , I completely understand the CD Straight to MD thing , over half of my collection is exactly that .

But again the E series , will treat you right , the E500 had some probs , but the 620 is a good unit , Battery life for DAYS .

http://minidisc.org/part_Players_Sony.html just klik that , and scroll down thru the list to see all the player only models

Edited by Guitarfxr

• 3 weeks later...

I own a Sony MZ-N420D portable MD walkman and use it with a pair of JBL headphones when I ... walk . I would like to get another unit as a backup as this one is a few years old now . I don't need a tuner , recording or computer input output capabilities and wonder if there is any better unit for plain old listening to as walkman unit . I only dub CD comps or discs to each disc I use from my Sony 440 deck. nothing fancy and I don't use the long play modes at all . Is there any better unit for this function than the bare bones 410 or 420 units that sounds better .... or are you only paying for features ?

Any tips certainly appreciated .

I also have a JE440 (love it). As far as portables go, and what your requirements are, check out the E105/E107 (flash). IMO, they are the best thing since sliced bread, as they complement MD's perfectly (read below). They play virtually all ATRAC's and are tiny / rugged - are actually made for excercise (doubles as a stopwatch even w. a loop to wear it around the neck). Expect to get one for only $20 brand new (old-stock)! It may be the best kept ATRAC secret out there, as they were eclipsed by the cheaper (when new) IPOD's of the same memory capacity...so they didn't sell many...but read any review and you will see what I am talking about.

However, you would probably want an RH1 or M200 to get any of your old MD's into file form...so if you were looking for a way to play previously made MD recordings portably (that you don't also have on CD or Mp3) this would not be for you as the uploading decks are expensive.

However, if I understand you correctly, you said you simply make MD's from CD's? If so, then you would really like the 105/107's as you can simply stick a CD in the CDROM and transfer it in your choice of ATRAC3/3+ bitrate directly. It is by far the best jogging portable I have found, and best of all it uses a conventional AAA with 70 hrs playback @105kbps (in theory, lol).

In addition, if you actually save the file you plan to transfer to your SS library, you also have a (compressed or lossless) backup that you can put on MD later for any reason (assuming you have an MD unit that you can use with SS).