reloaded sonicstage fails to retreive Library

Rate this topic

makiji

Help!

I see this is a common issue on the forum, and I need guidance anyway.

I got a new computer. My techie guys said You'll have to reload software, but all your files will be transferred to your new machine. Fine. So i go to www.sony and download sonicstage 4.301 on my new pc. But only the copied CDs in Library play, and only a few of my own recordings made with my MZ-NH1. The titles show up, but the little blue icons turn grey. [On windows media player, the files are scattered.]

The new PC uses Windows Vista. I have the old hard drive presumably with all the old files...

Any wisdom for a non-techie??

thanks,

Makiji

I haven't actually suffered this one, but here's my understanding of what you will have to do (and what I would probably do if I was considering switching machines).

ON THE OLD MACHINE:

either

a. save everything as .WAV files (this may have to be done album by album, not sure)

b. run the Sonc Stage File Conversion Tool which effectively decrypts all your OpenMG files. Good idea to run this once a month on general principles then worst case your stuff (except the last month) is unencrypted. The trick is to uncheck the box that appears after it looked at all the files. Patience! It will now scan them all again.

Once you have either or both of these collections of unencrypted files, you should be able to suck them in from the new SS.

If you cannot run the old machine, you may be in DDD (deep doggy doo).

Did I get this right, dear fellow-sufferers?

Stephen

The new PC uses Windows Vista. I have the old hard drive presumably with all the old files...

Any wisdom for a non-techie??

thanks,

Makiji

Makji:

I am a beginner here, but I hope my experience can be somewhat helpful.

Last week the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring tool started giving me warnings, so I decided to replace my main hard drive (that contains my entire Sonicstage file collection). Since I have everything backed-up in different formats, I decided to be bold. I got a copy of Acronis True Image (version 11) and cloned the entire partition to a new, bigger HD. To my delight everything went smoothly and I can access my entire music collection form Sonicstage w/o problems.

Since you still have the old drive, you might try it yourself.

The catch is that Windows will not tolerate a brain transplant (new motherboard and CPU), so after the drive cloning, you will have to reinstall windows on top of the previous installation. I don´t actually know if SS will tolerate this process, but you might consider giving it a try.

Good luck!

:thank_you2:

Makji:

I am a beginner here, but I hope my experience can be somewhat helpful.

Last week the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring tool started giving me warnings, so I decided to replace my main hard drive (that contains my entire Sonicstage file collection). Since I have everything backed-up in different formats, I decided to be bold. I got a copy of Acronis True Image (version 11) and cloned the entire partition to a new, bigger HD. To my delight everything went smoothly and I can access my entire music collection form Sonicstage w/o problems.

Since you still have the old drive, you might try it yourself.

The catch is that Windows will not tolerate a brain transplant (new motherboard and CPU), so after the drive cloning, you will have to reinstall windows on top of the previous installation. I don´t actually know if SS will tolerate this process, but you might consider giving it a try.

Good luck!

:thank_you2:

I don't use SS too much now but in your OLD library you should have a set of .OMA type files.

Just use SS to IMPORT this music into a NEW library --- make sure you have enough disc space.

I think the import utility can scan a DISC / DIRECTORY for files to import.

Cheers

-K

Yeah, took me a while to notice that the unencrypted ones get renamed to .OMA (from the original .oma).

The most helpful trick someone else pointed out is to add a column in SS with the File Name (just rightclick the column head). This will show you EXACTLY which files are encrypted (assuming that you don't have extension display always on - I haven't actually tried dumbing it down to "hide file extensions of registered types" in years).

Stephen