Sony MZ-E620 Review

Rate this topic

aafuss

Sony MZ-E620 Review

Price:$33 at Cash Converters

Contents as provided :MZ-E620,RM-MC33EL remote,NH-14WM gumstick battery,AA battery case

Not included with the purchase:charging cradle as it's 100v and wouldn't work in Australia (and thus was not included), manual (but easy to find on sony.co.jp).

Overview:

MZ-E620 is a Japanese model-and was suprised at that fact when I saw it in the shop.

Despite it being a Japan model, it was purchased in Australia, and the remote has a English display.

No charging stand was included probably because of Australia using 230v vs Japan’s 100v-which is fine by me as I'll use the supplied battery case.

Design:

Very stylish, with a slim profile and buttonless top-controls are on the bottom. Jacks include a remote/headphone and contacts for the AA battery case.

Features:

A digital amplifier is used to produce nice sound from MD discs, as is a 6 band EQ with presets-heavy,pops,jazz and 2 custom EQ settings.

The RM-MC33EL remote has a backlight, volume control via a jog dial and buttons for playmode, folder +/-,display,stop and a slide switch for playback/enter (press down for the latter)

Sound quality:

MZ-E620's sound quality is quite impressive-distortion free sound is produced, I made a recording with my other MD-the R700 from my Sony stereo and it sounds clear and vibrant on the E620.

Manuals:

The PDF manual from Sony's Japan site was all in Japanese: I had a bit trouble setting various options, even though I know and can understand Japanese.

Other:

The supplied remote can be used with some other models-I used it with my R700 as a simple playback remote.

There's a clip on the back that can be taken off easily.

Overall:

The MZ-E620 is a interesting MD player that never seemed to be sold outside of Japan-it's worth tracking down, as it's a very nice player-only MD Walkman.

Photo:

img0015wb5.jpg

Edited by A.A. Fussy