A Guide To 3d Generation Hi-MD Uploading ?

Rate this topic

ojos504

Hi !

I read the pinned guide to Hi-MD Uploading, but it says it doesn't apply to the MZ-RH1 model.

I tried some transfers (down/uploads) in different modes (Hi-MD and SP) and it happened one time that the tracks were erased from an MD previously (months before) transferred to the PC (an MD in SP originally not recorded with the RH1). Luckily I could find the tracks back on the PC (from the first transfer). I curiously couldn't reproduce the phenomen.

Since I now want to backup a lot of MD's with the RH1 (gigs recorded on a non-Hi-MD portable Sharp in SP), without having ever the surprise that these MD's will be erased, I'm searching for more information, that I couldn't find in the forum.

So can anybody tell what rules apply for the MZ-RH1?

And are these rules depending on the software version (SS3.4 or SS4.3)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi !

I read the pinned guide to Hi-MD Uploading, but it says it doesn't apply to the MZ-RH1 model.

I tried some transfers (down/uploads) in different modes (Hi-MD and SP) and it happened one time that the tracks were erased from an MD previously (months before) transferred to the PC (an MD in SP originally not recorded with the RH1). Luckily I could find the tracks back on the PC (from the first transfer). I curiously couldn't reproduce the phenomen.

Since I now want to backup a lot of MD's with the RH1 (gigs recorded on a non-Hi-MD portable Sharp in SP), without having ever the surprise that these MD's will be erased, I'm searching for more information, that I couldn't find in the forum.

So can anybody tell what rules apply for the MZ-RH1?

And are these rules depending on the software version (SS3.4 or SS4.3)?

Thanks in advance.

yes, these rules depend on the v. of SS. Better upgrade or try to find an option to switch it of. Transferring with RH1 should work WITH write-protection. Try it.

The only rule applying to the RH1 I know about, is that it is able to upload SP (and all kinds of LP for that matter) from a write-protected disc (with the shutter open). Everything else means glitches.

But you need to use SS at least the version supplied with the unit (SS3.4.03), or better SS4.2. Use SS4.3 only if you are under Vista.

Edited by Avrin

Thanks for the answers!

The only rule applying to the RH1 I know about, is that it is able to upload SP (and all kinds of LP for that matter) from a write-protected disc (with the shutter open). Everything else means glitches.

But you need to use SS at least the version supplied with the unit (SS3.4.03), or better SS4.2. Use SS4.3 only if you are under Vista.

Do you mean audio "glitches"?

Couldn't find a french version of SS4.2, so I will stay with 3.4.

Think I will try different transfers with different recordings, and look at behaviour before backing-up the MD's.

Edited by ojos504

Do you mean audio "glitches"?

No. Software/hardware ones.

Couldn't find a french version of SS4.2, so I will stay with 3.4.

Sorry. I'd never thought that SONY was going to remove the most stable version of all times from their servers. So I have only been able to keep an installer for the English version (and that thanks to a member of a Russian forum, who uploaded it to RapidShare.com).

Edited by Avrin

I'd never thought that SONY was going to remove the most stable version of all times from their servers. So I have only been able to keep an installer for the English version

OK. I've found on my computer 5 zips downloaded november 2006 as an offline version of SS (at that time I was projecting upgrading from SS3.4, but never did). It seems to be 4.2.02.11020 !!! Is that the good one?

Edited by ojos504

I remain firmly of the opinion that SS4.3 works fine with Windows XP SP2. If anything it worked better than 4.2 before the upgrade, on the same machine.

I think there might be a problem with Windows XP SP3 but this is nothing to do with SS.

Avrin, could it be possible you might be misleading people by saying that 4.2 is better when in fact your most recent Windows O/S is Windows 2000?

OK. I've found on my computer 5 zips downloaded november 2006 as an offline version of SS (at that time I was projecting upgrading from SS3.4, but never did). It seems to be 4.2.02.11020 !!! Is that the good one?

Yes, that's the version. Which ZIP-files do you actually have?

I remain firmly of the opinion that SS4.3 works fine with Windows XP SP2. If anything it worked better than 4.2 before the upgrade, on the same machine.

I think there might be a problem with Windows XP SP3 but this is nothing to do with SS.

Avrin, could it be possible you might be misleading people by saying that 4.2 is better when in fact your most recent Windows O/S is Windows 2000?

I don't think so. Many people here, there, and everythere have described problems arising after installing SS43 under various operating system versions (including Windows XP SP2, as the most popular version at the time of SS43 release). And yes, some (but much less) people actually have it working properly.

Under Windows XP, why would you want a version, which has Vista support as the only new feature? And needs a patch for OpenMG? SS42 and SS44 don't need any patches.

Just to throw it out there, I personally was one of the ones that had issues with 4.3 on XP SP2 (haven't tried it w/SP3)... Specifically, after an LP2/LP4 upload (via RH1), there would be an error and the result would be no actual Atrac3 file in my library or anywhere. I got around this for awhile by canceling the transfer @ 99% & copying the (almost complete) files from "C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages\*".. Not long afterward, I downgraded and everything worked fine again.

I did entertain the possibility that this could perhaps have been due to previous SonicStage remnants/drivers/etc... But tossed that theory after a fresh install of Windows and then 4.3 (with no prior versions) resulted in the same behavior.

That said, I'm not sure what issues other people were having. But from my experience you run a greater risk of running into problems running 4.3 on XP, and don't really gain anything even if you do get it working...

Edited by raintheory

Where's 44? Last time around, you and I both determined it was not available.

It's been available from the very moment it was released, but in Japanese only. Here's the web-installer: http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_dat...geInstaller.exe . The full installer is somewhere on the Japanese VAIO FTP server, but I don't remember the link.

You could PM a mod to have those files added to the download section of the forums, so that more users could benefit of those files in the future.

In the meantime, a rapidshare or so link would probably be appreciated ;) .

"mod": do you mean moderator?

I'm not at home at this time. But as soon as I can, I will test my files (but yet need installation instructions). If installation is OK, I would be pleased to send the files to the download section, or to rapidshare.

I actually have 9 zip files, in alphabetical order:

msc.zip

openmgsetup.zip

pasupport.zip

pa_driver.zip

setupreg.zip

ss_add_french.zip

ss_french.zip

wmf.zip

wmf95(ie 10).zip

GREAT!

Here's the correct order of what you need to do with them, including command lines highlighted in blue, to get a French version (remove copy protection from your music, backup your library, and remove any previous versions, including OpenMG and any of its patches before installing):

1. Unzip wmf.zip, and run wmfdist.exe.

2. Unzip wmf95(ie 10).zip, and run wmfdist95.exe. You may get an error in Step 1 or Step 2, but this is normal, since these files are for different operating systems.

3. Unzip msc.zip, and run setup.exe.

4. Unzip setupreg.zip, and run setupreg.exe.

5. Unzip openmgsetup.zip, and run setup.exe /v"OMGCOREINI=OmgCore_GA.ini".

6. Unzip ss_french.zip, and run setup.exe.

7. Unzip ss_add_french.zip, and run setup.exe.

8. Unzip pa_driver.zip, and run setup.exe.

9. Unzip pasupport.zip, and run pacaddon.exe /fAE.ini.

10. Restart your computer.

Edited by Avrin

It's been available from the very moment it was released, but in Japanese only. Here's the web-installer: http://dl1.aii.co.jp/contents/connect/_dat...geInstaller.exe . The full installer is somewhere on the Japanese VAIO FTP server, but I don't remember the link.

But why would I want the japanese version at all?

Perhaps you are suggesting I clone the procedure for French - admittedly my French is good, but this will still conflict with my (English) machine.

Need some help here.

I don't think SS4 is worth installing if you are only using [Hi]MD devices. The only new things there, compared to SS43, are HE-AAC support, and drivers (modified INF files, actually) for new Japanese-only ATRAC-compatible flash players.

But it is interesting that it uses OpenMG version 5.0 (compared to 4.6 in SS42 and 4.7+patch in SS43). I actually tried installing OpenMG 5.0 for my SS42. It worked, but nothing was added or changed, so I returned back to 4.6.

Edited by Avrin

So let me get this staight...should I look for 4.2 also, and hold off on my 4.3 install - since I run W2000? For that matter, where would one find a true 4.2 (full install) file.

I noticed that I have the 3.4 installer.exe on my old computer, but I am under the impression that if I run that file, Sony will simply load the newest version, hense 4.3?

If not, and I can simply stick with 3.4 if desired - My question then would be...is there any advantage of using either later version of 4.X over 3.4...as I have used 3.4 for a while with no major issues (other than the typical expected bugs that ensue).

Edited by MDane

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Here my experiences with SSv4.2/4.3 and SP transfers from MZ-RH1 to PC:

SS v4.2 : the tracks were transferred to PC but presented audio clicks at the trackmarks or just after the trackmarks, whether I had transferred them to PC as Atrac3+ 256kbps or PCM.

SS v4.3 : the tracks were transferred to PC and did not present audio clicks at the trackmarks

Here I have to say that the MZ-RH1 itself also produced audio clicks at these trackmarks while reading the MD, so I suppose SS v4.3 integrates something that corrects this wrong behaviour.

Further: I could transfer the SP tracks with MD locked (both 4.2/4.3 versions), that's great!

I didn't need to import the library back-up I made before each uninstall (I started uninstalling SS v3.4): both 4.2/4.3 versions recognized immediately the library present in the earlier install of SonicStage.

So v4.3 works well for me (XP SP2) and for the moment I will keep that version.

About v4.2:

First I tried the install with the files I described above and Avrin's instructions.

In a second time I tried another offline installer I found here: " http://rapidshare.com/files/24305047/Sonicstage.rar " , and these instructions: " http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:9AugP...cd=12&gl=fr " .

While both v4.2 installations worked, both presented the audio clicks at (or near) the seam between two tracks of continuous music. In both cases I tried different PA drivers, but same behaviour.

For the rest no other wrong things occurred, simply v4.3 works better on my PC.

Now I can upload these old MD's without any problem :) ! (less than 10 mn for each 74 mn MD)

Thanks to everybody who contributed answering to my questions!