Vibrations & live recording

Rate this topic

msol607

Sorry for posting dumb questions but, man I’m having a hell of a time recording rock band practices. Instead of using my broken deck with only one recording channel (see my previous post), I thought I’d try a portable recorder. Based on Amazon comments, I bought a used MZ-r37 for cheap. Others said they used it for rehearsal recordings. Didn’t work for me. The first try I had it sitting on a mixer cabinet. The recording had skips & drop-outs, I assumed caused by the vibrations from the loud amps. The next practice I moved it onto a canvas bag on the floor. The results were about the same. I'm attaching a clip with fairly typical skips/dropouts and another clip where the unit totally lost it (with multi-second dropouts) during the middle of song. Is this unit broken? The quieter parts of the recording have less skips but the loudest parts don’t necessarily invoke skipping. Any insights/suggestions would be apprieciated

I should note that I use two mics into a mixer which goes tape out to mic-in on the recorder. I tried to use optical/line in but could not get loud enough recording volume.

90808Messin_bad.mp3

Sweet_Bad.mp3

Sorry for posting dumb questions but, man I’m having a hell of a time recording rock band practices. Instead of using my broken deck with only one recording channel (see my previous post), I thought I’d try a portable recorder. Based on Amazon comments, I bought a used MZ-r37 for cheap. Others said they used it for rehearsal recordings. Didn’t work for me. The first try I had it sitting on a mixer cabinet. The recording had skips & drop-outs, I assumed caused by the vibrations from the loud amps. The next practice I moved it onto a canvas bag on the floor. The results were about the same. I'm attaching a clip with fairly typical skips/dropouts and another clip where the unit totally lost it (with multi-second dropouts) during the middle of song. Is this unit broken? The quieter parts of the recording have less skips but the loudest parts don’t necessarily invoke skipping. Any insights/suggestions would be apprieciated

I should note that I use two mics into a mixer which goes tape out to mic-in on the recorder. I tried to use optical/line in but could not get loud enough recording volume.

post-119791-126060951701_thumb.jpg

post-119791-126060957755_thumb.jpg

You dont come out of a Mixer to the MIC input , You go to the Line input , and You have to set the Manual recording level Line level coming out of a mixer will destroy the mic preamp in the MD , as you noticed Less "Skipping " on quieter parts , Get the unit off of the floor ( VERY bad place for vibration,)

a Drum Throne , or a Well Cushioned seat , and a Foam box over the unit as a sound barrier(Maybe one of those Cushioned Thermal Lunch bags that zip up ) The R37 is sensitive to Sympathetic Vibrations ,.... then from the Mixer "Tape Outs " RCA jacks , to Line input on the MD , Push and HOLD the Pause Button , while Holding the Pause button , Slide the REC button and Hold it for two seconds all the way over , " Manual Rec " will appear on the screen . Then you can let go of both buttons , it will stay paused , used the FFw , and RRw buttons to adjust the REC level , Have the Band play something while you do so .

Watch the meters adjust both Mixer levels , and Rec levels , to get a good balance , then Hit the pause button , and your recording

Edited by Guitarfxr

Thanks for the suggestions. Encasing it foam may be the ticket. I'm getting another deck but I'm sure those units aren't built to withstand lugging around. I neglected to mention I was using manual recording (as your suggested) & had the levels on both the mixer and recorder down pretty low. I'll give the line-in another try. Despite being labeled "optical" I guess the recorder line-in will accept a normal stereo plug. Not sure why it didn't work last time. Hopefully, I'll get this recording thing down. Band-mates getting impatient.

A follow-up question: Instead of going the foam wrap route, what if I bought a Mz-si "Sports Net MD"? They're described as "rugged": "You can run, jog, and shake or drop the case without interrupting the music." Not sure that applies to amp vibrations. Since I am running out of a mixer, I don't need a mic-in jack. These units are going cheap used. Most don't have ac adapter which I'd need. Any thoughts? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

A follow-up question: Instead of going the foam wrap route, what if I bought a Mz-si "Sports Net MD"? They're described as "rugged": "You can run, jog, and shake or drop the case without interrupting the music." Not sure that applies to amp vibrations. Since I am running out of a mixer, I don't need a mic-in jack. These units are going cheap used. Most don't have ac adapter which I'd need. Any thoughts? Thanks

For any others who encounter the problem: The foam didn't work. It lessened but did not eliminate the mistracking due to vibrations. The Mz-r37 apparently is just too sensitive. The Mz-si Sport unit did the trick. I put it on a piece of cloth & it recorded great despite the amp vibrations.

For any others who encounter the problem: The foam didn't work. It lessened but did not eliminate the mistracking due to vibrations. The Mz-r37 apparently is just too sensitive. The Mz-si Sport unit did the trick. I put it on a piece of cloth & it recorded great despite the amp vibrations.

well that is true the 37 was before they started to get a REALLY good handle on damping , and shock resistance