MZ-DN430 has bass!

Rate this topic

Sony_Fan

I just picked up one of these MZ-DN430 units from ebay, the silver one, I hooked up to Simple Burner and transferred some eurodance music in LP2 and wow!!! The music sounds great and it has awesome bass. I'm sorry, but it puts my RH1 to shame. Is there anyway to transfer the bass function or circuit to the RH1. If there is, I would love to do that! The bass output reminds me of my old, but loved, Sharp MD unit. Sony screwed up the Hi-MD units by not using the same bass functions or circuits as the NetMD and Standard MD units.

Yup.

I just today received in the mail from England my new (used) NH700, which I wanted for 2 reasons:

1. a backup recorder to RH1 that could do mic recording

2. something I could add a radio to (I had a spare one from another busted unit) for listening

Interesting - I played the same MD (LP2) on NF810 and NH700 (well effectively NH800F), same remote, same headphones. The comparison is just as you say, the earlier unit knocks the HiMD into, as we say, a cocked hat.

But I love my NH700, so many neat features packed into one unit.

Yup.

I just today received in the mail from England my new (used) NH700, which I wanted for 2 reasons:

1. a backup recorder to RH1 that could do mic recording

2. something I could add a radio to (I had a spare one from another busted unit) for listening

Interesting - I played the same MD (LP2) on NF810 and NH700 (well effectively NH800F), same remote, same headphones. The comparison is just as you say, the earlier unit knocks the HiMD into, as we say, a cocked hat.

But I love my NH700, so many neat features packed into one unit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed. So which idiots at Sony said, "hey, lets put less bass into the Hi-MD units." :rolleyes:

I got all my HiMD units set to "heavy" which raises bass AND treble. Still no comparison to the same exact thing on pre-HiMD units, as long as they are Type-S (at least for LP2). Not sure how SP compares.

Interestingly the radio sounds better attached to the NH700 than it does in the NF810.

Well the one I have is not the DN430 but looking at it is probably more closely related to the NF810 than it is to the RH1.

The RH1 + headphones actually caused me hearing problems which I referred to in other posts. Listening to other units (I think the key feature was D-nomalization) seems not to cause this.

Since the lowest band of the EQ in Hi-MD units is set too high to be useful (100 Hz), you can't gain deep bass as in earlier units by raising that band. Instead, you have to use a trick and lower all bands by one or two notches and raise the overall volume to simulate the megabass of earlier units. See this thread for details:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=13741

Edited by greenmachine

It's interesting how people talk about the "quality and cleanliness" of MD, and then you want to muddy it up with huge bass. Personally I like the "euro" sound better, with a balance of all. Dancefloor sound isn't the only sound, listen to a string quartet, no bass, but good sound.

I don't mind a thump when it's called for, but a balanced sound is just more natural to me.

JMHO

Bob

Well I find a full symphony orchestra + choir is a pretty good test, and when I am listening on headphones, I prefer whatever it is that Type-S does to the sound. Not specifically the equalizer, I chose "heavy" both on NH700 and on NF810, I admit. The difference is between those two equalizers. I accept what greenmachine says, just haven't had time to try it.

Playing the same LP2 through my stereo system, the SQ isn't even acceptable, I need the SP version or a CD. Maybe if I had a HiMD deck, or perhaps the JB980 with Type-S. No way to tell.

Since the lowest band of the EQ in Hi-MD units is set too high to be useful (100 Hz), you can't gain deep bass as in earlier units by raising that band. Instead, you have to use a trick and lower all bands by one or two notches and raise the overall volume to simulate the megabass of earlier units. See this thread for details:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=13741

I saw those analysis but I don't think they would work for my taste. I find setting my EQ on my RH1 to +3,0,-1,0,+1,+2. That seems to give the best bass response while maintaing the mids and highs.

Well I find a full symphony orchestra + choir is a pretty good test, and when I am listening on headphones, I prefer whatever it is that Type-S does to the sound. Not specifically the equalizer, I chose "heavy" both on NH700 and on NF810, I admit. The difference is between those two equalizers. I accept what greenmachine says, just haven't had time to try it.

Playing the same LP2 through my stereo system, the SQ isn't even acceptable, I need the SP version or a CD. Maybe if I had a HiMD deck, or perhaps the JB980 with Type-S. No way to tell.

What is this type-S you talk about? Does my new NetMD unit have it?

It's interesting how people talk about the "quality and cleanliness" of MD, and then you want to muddy it up with huge bass. Personally I like the "euro" sound better, with a balance of all. Dancefloor sound isn't the only sound, listen to a string quartet, no bass, but good sound.

I don't mind a thump when it's called for, but a balanced sound is just more natural to me.

JMHO

Bob

We all have different tastes and ideas on what good sound quality is. But for me, the lows are the most important. The highs and mids are also important as it helps to make music sound more crisp, but the lows are the foundation. Imagine watching a movie in surround sound and the sub-woofer is disconnected. The movies sounds like crap then. I still want to know who were the idiots at Sony for denying mega-bass to the Hi-MD units.

Personally I prefer the way the Hi-MD units sound to all the earlier portables I tried, albeit with a bit of of EQ tweaking. The decks are a different matter, but the portables seemed far too bass-heavy, apart perhaps from in flat mode, especially for 'classical' and accoustic music. But definitely, each to his/her own.

Personally I prefer the way the Hi-MD units sound to all the earlier portables I tried, albeit with a bit of of EQ tweaking. The decks are a different matter, but the portables seemed far too bass-heavy, apart perhaps from in flat mode, especially for 'classical' and accoustic music. But definitely, each to his/her own.

The bass is the most important feature of any MD unit. We all know that MD with ATRAC, ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus can delivery great mids and highs, but can the unit deliver the lows? Unfortunately, not all of them can. It's like a surround system without a subwoofer. The sound quality isn't complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I continue to be impressed with my NetMD unit. I recorded one song in ATRAC SP and ATRAC LP2 and when played back, I could hardly tell the difference in sound quality. This Type-S playback codec it has blows away the Hi-MD unit's bogus HD amplifier.

Edited by Chris G

Interestingly, I'm very impressed with the NH700's playback of all formats. Certainly it doesn't bother my ears like the RH1 does. But you are right, the DN430 (at the prices someone is remaindering them) are a bargain to be snapped up, as is any portable with genuine Type-S (and no HD amp).

What I'm looking for is a Type-S deck - there are 3 that I know of (at least that have digi out), JE780, JE980 and MXD-D400. I had a line on one of the latter last week but it never came to anything. Currently I record long programs off the radio in Hi-SP and they seem to sound fine on the '700.

Interestingly, I'm very impressed with the NH700's playback of all formats. Certainly it doesn't bother my ears like the RH1 does. But you are right, the DN430 (at the prices someone is remaindering them) are a bargain to be snapped up, as is any portable with genuine Type-S (and no HD amp).

What I'm looking for is a Type-S deck - there are 3 that I know of (at least that have digi out), JE780, JE980 and MXD-D400. I had a line on one of the latter last week but it never came to anything. Currently I record long programs off the radio in Hi-SP and they seem to sound fine on the '700.

The lack of bass in the Hi-MD units is what makes the HD amplifier worthless. Type-S should have been used instead along with the +3 bass and +3 treble settings.

The manual *does* claim (as has been pointed out to me here) that all the HiMD units include the Type-S feature.

Sorry, it's not that I don't believe you, i just don't believe Sony's claim. Saying that HiMD units have Type-S is like saying they have MegaBass, we both know that's not true.

IMHO the megabass and Type-S are not connected.

I think for earbud listening, it is important not to overdo the treble (that's what almost ruined my ears) but the bass can be cranked up a bit.

This discussion is one reason I want to see what happens when I get a type-S *deck*, to see how the result sounds in a decent stereo system.

MegaBass is exaggerated bass boost, what's the deal with that?

In Custom EQ, set the bass levels higher, if that's what you like. I'm glad the MegaBass rage on Walkman units is over and that a more balanced soundstage is present since.

Exaggerated? No, it's ideal. Do you think ATRAC SP is exaggerated in sound quality over MP3 128kbps? No it's not, it's ideal! Just like mega bass is. Without stronger bass, Hi-MD sound quality is really pointless. You might as well listen to an iPod with the crap white earphones it comes with. I'm not saying I don't like the bass response on my RH1, I just wish it had an extra notch. It's already at max.

It seems to me that Chris has a bit of unrealistic views of what sound should be , and probable has the secret fantasy (Or maybe even has them ) of 22 inch woofers and a 500 watt amp in the trunk of his car .

I worked for HiFiFoFum , installing competition sound systems in custom cars , at one point in my life , there was this one guy , had a baby blue sparkle gloss , Corvette with Custom fiberglass an carbon fibre spoilers and side vents .

Sound system consisted of 22 speakers , 5 amps , and EXTRA Alternator , to power just the Amp to the Subs .

2 big ones in a box in the Trunk , 8 small low drivers Spider paired across the back deck of the rear window , 10 inch flats under the front seats , Highs and mids tucked into the Air vents and door Panels so they were invisible and built into the back of the front seats , ( Just in case someone sat in the back )

You could hear this thing a Half a mile away , with the windows CLOSED , and this nut could actually tell when one of the woofers blew ................................ He Cracked the front windshield TWICE with the volume !!!!

Chris when you can afford THAT ride , then I will accept whatever you say about BASS

Otherwise , I prefer Balance ...............

Edited by Guitarfxr