"ERROR DE" on MZ-RH910

Rate this topic

After not using my Sony MZ-RH910 for a few months, I pulled it off the shelf to discover that all it can now do is display the message "ERROR DE." I have tried multiple discs, so I am sure that the error has to do with the unit itself. Does anyone know how this might be fixed (or if!)? Thanks in advance...

Try taking tha battery out for about a half hour, then put it back and see what happens, works on my NH1

Bob

Try taking tha battery out for about a half hour, then put it back and see what happens, works on my NH1

Bob

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to have done the trick. Any other ideas? Or is it time to replace my unit?

EDIT: actually, if the problem has to do with the battery, would replacing it be a good solution? I have had this recorder for 3 or 4 years with the same battery.

Edited by teatreebirchwood

If so, very likely it might work if you run off charger or USB.

Time to get the service manual and figure out if there are any obvious errors in Service mode. The service manual is here in downloads, you might have to figure out the trick to getting into service mode by looking in the forums.

If so, very likely it might work if you run off charger or USB.

Time to get the service manual and figure out if there are any obvious errors in Service mode. The service manual is here in downloads, you might have to figure out the trick to getting into service mode by looking in the forums.

Nope, doesn't run correctly with either the wall charger or the USB, so it's definitely nothing with the battery.

I got into service mode alright, but I couldn't really understand what I was supposed to look for based on the service manual. Are there certain things you are supposed to look for?

Edited by teatreebirchwood

Well done.

I think now we need to pool resources with some of the older hands here.

Much of the MD technology shares a common base, I have a feeling this error code (probably Hex DE but I can't be sure) will be documented somewhere in one of the manuals. When I looked at service mode, I think there were procedures to report the last 10 errors or something like that.

Have you done any of the basic things like blowing dust out from the unit?

Well done.

I think now we need to pool resources with some of the older hands here.

Much of the MD technology shares a common base, I have a feeling this error code (probably Hex DE but I can't be sure) will be documented somewhere in one of the manuals. When I looked at service mode, I think there were procedures to report the last 10 errors or something like that.

Have you done any of the basic things like blowing dust out from the unit?

Yeah, I blew out the dust when I first got the error message.

If I go into the "self-diagnostic" mode in service mode, it shows up with:

1 0000

then when i press vol+:

N 0000

then:

N10000

then:

N2000

and finally:

R_0000

before starting over again. I have no idea if I am interpreting this right, but the service manual says that the error code "012" means "Could not read data with SYNC." Is that what the 0012 means (and what does the error mean?)? Again, I've got no idea if I'm looking at the right thing, but the only place in the manual i could find error report codes was in self-diagnostic.

Thanks for the help so far.