A sad day in Music

Rate this topic

bobt

Wow , I get the news from MDCF member instead of net notification .

The value of what was has been stripped away .

Thank you Bob , can you post a link ???

I actually saw it on an msnbc article after I exited hotmail, but you can try Richard Wright at en.wikipedia.org, I'm sure the Pink Floyd site has something as well.

TTFN

Bob

Just went on the Pink Floyd site, short article from Richards family asking foe time alone right now, but saw an advert for a new true "box Set" of Pink Floyd CD's or digital download, 140 pounds for he cd's. 88 for the download, you'd definately need broadband for that one, 320 DRM free, here's a link: http://del.interoute.com/?id=3215bb77-762a...delivery=stream

Have fun

Bob

Just went on the Pink Floyd site, short article from Richards family asking foe time alone right now, but saw an advert for a new true "box Set" of Pink Floyd CD's or digital download, 140 pounds for he cd's. 88 for the download, you'd definately need broadband for that one, 320 DRM free, here's a link: http://del.interoute.com/?id=3215bb77-762a...delivery=stream

People always die, but marketing opportunities live on forever :P

People always die, but marketing opportunities live on forever :P

Raj , that hurts .......... David Gilmour was an unspoken musical mentor to me , as was Wright . One of the reasons I build and repair Guitars , is that the love of music , and the appreciation for just how much emotion music can draw out of someone is because of the creativity , and expression of those two people . One of the main reasons I learned to play guitar , was how Gilmour could speak without saying a word , on his instrument .

I have owned every PF album in Vinyl , All of them . This was music that reached a different plane of thought , and spoke to a great many people , some of whom wont admit it , but Dark Side or the Wall , is in their collection .

#1 Album for 9 years ,...... not 9 weeks , 9 years , .......#1

Yeah ok , media or merchandising opportunity , but ,...... THIS , is something , that some people actually WANT to remember and keep

Never has been a Guitar solo as sweet and well stated , or as eloquent as Gilmour's , and Wrigh was his best friend and Musical collaborator for the entire time they were together .

My father died when I was 16 right in front of my eyes.........., I didnt shed a tear, not because he was a bad person , I just couldnt feel anything at that time . Fast forward a few years , I am at a six keg party , everything is perfect , Girls , Booze , People having a good time , A few other chemical imbibments ,........... I put " The Wall" on the turntable it gets to the part " Daddy , what else did you leave behind for me ?"

It wasnt pretty , four years , of hidden , pent up pain that I couldnt even bring myself to feel , so I could get on with life . just came out , right then ,right there ...............

maybe you dont like PF , but , I would appreciate that it not be a joking matter

There are quite a few pieces of my life very firmly attached to different songs in the PF repository

Edited by Guitarfxr

???

Wow, I had no idea my rather generic comment would strike such a chord. I work in the TV industry and we have an awards ceremony to honor the late George Carlin (comedian). This honor was planned just BEFORE his death. Now that he has passed, we are getting a greater celeb list and the show will get higher ratings. We have to prepare on sation ID's for famous people who are old, so that when they die we have the spot in the can and ready to air. My point is when it comes to celebrities, death (especially when young - don't deny Ledger's death didn't boost interest in the Batman release) becomes a marketing tool. So when I read this thread and saw that there was some new release/download in addition to the incident, I just made my comment. Nothing personal whatsoever.

I didnt go see Batman , didnt research it , .Ledger was an article in the news .

And he was remembered by people who cared about him .

We live in a world now that has become callous and cold, and anything is a fair target . I am not like that , I still believe in dignity and respect , and where it is deserved , it is deserved .

http://www.cmu.edu/randyslecture/index.shtml

Just watch this vid about Randy Pausch , this is a guy who truly impressed me .

Dignity , something completely missing in the TV industry .

I agree with your point about Media Ready feeding frenzy as I call it , News is News , but it is doled out now without compassion , without restraint , and it is fodder for comedians , and comparisons most of the time

so dont take me wrong , I am not blasting you , I just cry foul to the lack of appreciation of the magnitude of the event , but then appreciation , is something different for each one .

Some are Freudian , I was Floydian ( I think it was the Smiley face at the end of your comment that stuck me )

Edited by Guitarfxr

The said box set was released end of 2007, no way could it be construed that the powers at be had this set in hiding waiting for a "marketing moment", my intention on posting the link to the set was purely, this is how to make a box set, and a great way to have all of Pink Floyds albums, I would have made that link even if Richard Wright hadn't died, and was able to reap the benefits.

Bob