Sony DVDs

Rate this topic

no_alibi

I recently bought one of my favourite old TV shows (unfortunately owned now by Sony) on DVD. Bewitched, Season 1.

Anyway, this would have been a great set of discs, except for one thing. SONY. This doesn't work on my Multiregion DVD Player. I've noticed there is a warning on the Amazon.com page that this won't work on Multiregion DVDs - but that it only applies to the region 1 release. This is not mentioned anywhere on Amazon.co.uk, regarding the Region 2 release, nor on the box or packaging. I assume this is another attempt by Sony to enforce their own Digital Rights management. Policing the digital world as usual.

Anyone else encountered anything similar. Why do Sony feel the need to protect us from ourselves, and impose draconian (and unnecessary) restrictions on content we effectively own anyway!!!!

I wouldn't mind, only I live in Region 2, bought my DVD player in Region 2, and bought the DVDs in Region 2. Everything should have been fine. Except for Sony's "extra layer of protection". Protecting me from myself. God forbid I should watch a Region 2 DVD in Region 2 on a machine which just happens to play all regions (not even hacked! I bought it that way - in Region 2!)

Edited by no_alibi

I wouldn't mind, only I live in Region 2, bought my DVD player in Region 2, and bought the DVDs in Region 2. Everything should have been fine. Except for Sony's "extra layer of protection". Protecting me from myself. God forbid I should watch a Region 2 DVD in Region 2 on a machine which just happens to play all regions (not even hacked! I bought it that way - in Region 2!)

Seems that your DVD player is not "really" region 2, but region 0 or no region, which allow it to play all region. Unfortunately, the movie industry caught up on this, and now some DVDs have a region check protection, meaning they check if the DVD player has the EXACT same region as the disc or not. So to play region 2, you MUST have region 2 player. Region 0, no region, even all region won't work.

Easy way to get rid of this crap, if you have a PC with a DVD drive and DVD burner, find and download DVDdecrypter. Use DVD decrypter to rip the DVD and remove any copy protection. Even if the region of your DVD-drive doesn't match the DVD disc, DVD decrypter will use brute force method. I have ripped plenty of region 2 and 3 DVDs, and my DVD drive is firmware locked as region 1. After that, burn/transcode the movie to a DVD blank, and voila, a region free copy. I have to do this many times since I live in the US (region 1), and there are many things I have/want that are only available in region 2 or 3.

• 2 weeks later...

wow tat is alot of work to get it redo in the correct region :P

strange doh why they want to control dvd in regions

The idea is to protect ticket sale at the movies, since a movie might have come out in DVD in country A, but yet reach the theaters in country B. However, most blockbusters today enjoy simultaneous worldwide release, making the excuse above invalid. IMO, regioning only creates piracy in the country where the DVD has not been released.

Regioning games doesn't make sense either, but companies are doing it anyway.

Guest Stuge

The idea is to protect ticket sale at the movies, since a movie might have come out in DVD in country A, but yet reach the theaters in country B. However, most blockbusters today enjoy simultaneous worldwide release, making the excuse above invalid. IMO, regioning only creates piracy in the country where the DVD has not been released.

Regioning games doesn't make sense either, but companies are doing it anyway.

Not sure but Most of the Hollywood Films doesn`t reach Indian theaters simultaneously .I think it b`coz Bollywood makes most Number of films in a year ..

Yeah,This regioning thing only creates piracy & nothing else .