CD dying, new slotMusic media - another format to fail just like minidisc.

Rate this topic

netmduser

I don't know, it might suprise us.

No expensive and fiddly net connection needed, no time needed to be spent downloading - just bung the card in and you have tunes there ready to play. Convenience is a BIG plus in todays world. No DRM is a suprise. The only downside is the tiny size, easy to lose! I wonder if the cards can be wiped and used again? I have visions of high street kiosks where you can insert one of these cards and fill it with music.

I don't know, it might suprise us.

No expensive and fiddly net connection needed, no time needed to be spent downloading - just bung the card in and you have tunes there ready to play. Convenience is a BIG plus in todays world. No DRM is a suprise. The only downside is the tiny size, easy to lose! I wonder if the cards can be wiped and used again? I have visions of high street kiosks where you can insert one of these cards and fill it with music.

On reading about this device I actually checked the date to make sure it wasn't 1 Apr. I still can't believe that someone whose probably earning more money in a week than I'd get in a year could come up with something as idiotic as this.

The real "Uselessness" of this format is that if you read the 'spec it says the music will be delivered in MP3 Format --- now one of the reasons I still buy CD's is that it's about the only decent source of UNCOMPRESSED music. I suspect some crazy CEO had the idea that people would buy these because they could be used in a mobile phone -- however just imagine taking out one of these tiny Micro SD cards out of your phone to replace it with another one whilst you are sitting in a crowded Underground / subway train in London's rush hour. -- This won't wash at all as far as I can see.

I don't have ANY interest whatsoever in buying any music which comes in compressed or "Lossy" formats --one of the reasons as well why I never bother with things like itunes etc.

The other problem with SD cards etc is that of storage -- they are not very easy to "archive" - it's fairly easy to rummage through a pile of CD's / DVD's but hunting down a particular SD card would be a nightmare. -- I already have considerable experience of this because I use several dozens of these wretched things in Professional Photography.

Another HUGE disadvantage here is that (apart from Psanasonic's Net MD / CD / SD unit) you would be forced to play this music either on a computer or a portable music player. I can't see any high quality music decks incorporating an SD slot into the mix (although a Hard disc could be an option ).

No I think this ome will die the death. Totally Bonkers idea IMO.

Cheers

-K

Edited by 1kyle

I think the comments on that link say it all... make sure you read them all. I wish companies would take public feedback in account before the launch stuff, but I guess opinion may have been proven wrong before when it comes to marketing success.

I'm still so saddened by the dying of the CD... the one, true reliable "master" when it comes to purchasing music. Once everything is digital, as long as they go .wav or FLAC I guess I'll be ok, and I'll archive it my own way, but here we have this format with a gig of space, and they make them mp3s??.... very sad.

For once I am going to present the opposite POV - don't all shriek at me, I love MD just as much as anyone. The drives for this device (in fact a drive shaped object that does 18 other things as well) are now about $20-30 in a computer, and are therefore fairly common.

Even my DVD hard disk recorder has a slot for one.

So it might be the new floppy disk..... better than a thumb (USB/flash) drive, I think.

For once I am going to present the opposite POV - don't all shriek at me, I love MD just as much as anyone. The drives for this device (in fact a drive shaped object that does 18 other things as well) are now about $20-30 in a computer, and are therefore fairly common.

Even my DVD hard disk recorder has a slot for one.

So it might be the new floppy disk..... better than a thumb (USB/flash) drive, I think.

For one thing, that is no accident, I'm sure.

I'd also like to say I admire you speaking up with another POV, it is interesting. I just think its sad that they had to make those things even smaller than their slightly older brethren, the SD media card. I really started to like them, they felt robust at least... these new smaller ones are extra flimsy and even easier to lose :(

ME LIKE:

sandisk-2gb-sd-card.jpg

ME DON'T LIKE:

slotmusic_b.jpg

ME LOVE: ;)

Sony%20Minidisc%20C.jpg

Ah, I missed that. The ones I have in HD recorder are SD, seems to be ubiquitous.

The reader I have in 'puter reads micro too.

I presume the manufacturing costs of micro are much lower.

Doesn't bode well for DHS though. They must be worried sick about missing one of these in someone's bags.

A few years ago I was telling everyone about this day. Eventually all media be purchased in a digital format whether on a card or some other form. Ten years ago I want to do something like this for the trucking industry. Since this kind of medium relies on no moving parts, which is death in a Semi-Rig. Truckers could get audio books and movies at a kiosk and truck stops along the interstates and highways. This is now becoming a reality.

When I can go out and buy a 2GB card for less than a Hi-MD this makes it more feasible than to buy a Hi-MD.

I not a big fan of the idea of 320 kbs Mp3 or any compressed media for that matter when you can easily put WAV files on a 1GB card. Some the reason for this is battery consumption but technology will catch-up this in time. This trend of selling us compressed media as good fidelity is a crime. I for one could not support this kind for product unless like TBR says "WAC or FLAC".

Don't sell me an inferior product!!!!! I want Fidelity!!!!!!!!!

There are Kiosks here in Japan , where you can attach a USB stick , or SD cards , as well as several other types of cards, and buy MP3's download them to the card ,........ It just keeps getting closer and closer to "Logan's Run " and when I walk down in Odaiba I feel like I am on the Movie set of Logan's Run , only a little MORE modern :wacko:

The new term for PTSD

" Post Technology Sociology Disorder "

Edited by Guitarfxr

On the "death of CD", while it is true that sales are slowing I think it will be a LOOOOONG time before music is not available on standard CD audio. Unlike cassette tape (of which here in the UK, many high street retailers have officially announced retirement), CDs offer much more convenience and demonstrably better sound plus almost everywhere you go there will be at least SOME device that will play it - be it fixed hi-fi, portable deck, in-car, laptop or a PC. Long live the CD!

All my 2p worth of course! I'm curious about what my fellow MD'ers think and if any of you also use stuff like Super Audio CD.

Edited by Arr-Nine-Hundred

Thanks for that CD article, Arr-Nine-Hundred. It was refreshing to read, even though it is over a year old now and I'm sure the statistics have changed drastically for digital downloads, etc. But I think you have a point, there's probably a large percentage of the population (anyone over the age 30 I'd assume) that would prefer CD as a 'master' or 'back-up' etc. But as we age and more youth come into play, especially since they are the larger portion of consumers, it will still die out pretty fast I think. The way I see it, CDs are being phased out of stores NOW... and the small record shops have already folded to the Walmarts & Best Buys, etc... and Walmart is now selling the iTunes download cards, and will soon shelf those small media cards for albums, so that leaves CDs only available online soon.

Thanks for that CD article, Arr-Nine-Hundred. It was refreshing to read, even though it is over a year old now and I'm sure the statistics have changed drastically for digital downloads, etc. But I think you have a point, there's probably a large percentage of the population (anyone over the age 30 I'd assume) that would prefer CD as a 'master' or 'back-up' etc. But as we age and more youth come into play, especially since they are the larger portion of consumers, it will still die out pretty fast I think. The way I see it, CDs are being phased out of stores NOW... and the small record shops have already folded to the Walmarts & Best Buys, etc... and Walmart is now selling the iTunes download cards, and will soon shelf those small media cards for albums, so that leaves CDs only available online soon.

Sounds about like reality, unfortunately. There once were enough used-CD stores in this area (~Boston, MA) that you could easily spend - and spend well - a day going around from one to another, finding great stuff. Some of them had tapes, too, and a few even had LPs. In addition to these, there were the Tower Records, the HMVs, and so forth. Mostly all gone now, or greatly reduced.

Still, I am invested in the CD/MD scene, and I manage to do quite well via Ebay, Amazon, and the terrific network of public libraries available to me. My local library has a relatively smallish but decent-enough collection of CDs and they also will do all they can to fulfill a request. For example, they once got me a CD from the Anchorage, Alaska public library. (It was a Men They Couldn't Hang compilation.) These sources are all wonderful - and the library is free - but I sure miss proing through bins at those used-CD stores.

These CD history articles are great here is another one for those interested...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6950933.stm

In 1977 Philips began to take the development of a new audio format much more seriously. A new name for the product was discussed and names considered included Mini Rack, MiniDisc, and Compact Rack.

MiniDisc? Shame on you Sony for stealing the name.

It's a pretty indestructible medium so long as you don't lose it. But it'll need to be packaged in a way that will go on a shelf or whatever with appropriate listings and art. So you'll end up with something about the size of, well, a CD. Unless the idea is that there's a pdf on the media. And the retailers will want the packaging big else it'll kind of disappear pretty easily from the shelves.

Official details are at http://www.slotmusic.org/what_is.php

Edited by ozpeter

I took some pics of the Walmart setup that's kicking CDs out... iTunes download cards.

itune1.jpg

itune2-1.jpg

This is the correct direction. Let everyone choose their media. I no longer want to buy something that holds music. Don't force me to buy "this media" or "that media". I don't even really want to buy music. I want to enjoy music. Let me choose my player. If they feel the need to fill the shelves with something. Let it be a book about the artist with photos and what-not. Let it be a trading card-style item that has the download code on it. Let it be a download station right inside the store. Plug in your player and pay for the song....anything but waste money on "storage". Why do we need it anyway?? For the people that don't have internet? I've been a member of Rhapsody for a year now. I haven't bought a CD. I won't buy anyother "carrier" of the music. I have my MD to store my recordings. That's all I need. I don't even need a computer to make it work for me. DUHHH!!! I've had memory cards fail - "unreadable"-. I've yet to have a MD fail.

I have my MD to store my recordings. That's all I need. I don't even need a computer to make it work for me. DUHHH!!! I've had memory cards fail - "unreadable"-. I've yet to have a MD fail.

You just sort of contradicted yourself... on one hand you say "I no longer want to buy something that holds music", but then you say you use MD without a computer... well, with today's choices, you NEED a computer to even GET the music to begin with. Then you say you use MD to store your recordings and it's all you need..... is that not something that "holds music?"

:P

You just sort of contradicted yourself... on one hand you say "I no longer want to buy something that holds music", but then you say you use MD without a computer... well, with today's choices, you NEED a computer to even GET the music to begin with. Then you say you use MD to store your recordings and it's all you need..... is that not something that "holds music?"

:P

:scratchhead: I must have been thinking faster than I could type. I was trying to say that we don't need another storage media for music.

The player should do all the work...and for me, it does. MD is just a back-up. I don't need a computer to back up my music that needs to be backed up. We all know the TOC can be edited without a PC.

The HDD is fine for storage, the CD is fine for storage, the MD (for myself) is perfect for storage. I use a Walkman digital player to get all my new music. Yes, I need to use a computer to get the music from Rhapsody. However, I have no need for storage. Rhapsody does all the storage for me. I think it's silly to sell something just to "hold" the music, when they sell millions of things that "play" the music. If you want to have some tangible product from the artist or if the music industry needs to sell something on the shelf, why does it need to be a memory stick/card? Especially if you consider the penitration of iPod and other digital devices(like my Sony Walkman) that don't have the "slot"?

Is it for cell phones? If so, why? The biggest service provider in the US now has Rhapsody for instant downloads of your music.

I just don't understand.

Apart from the fact that Rhapsody tends to work only in the USA you still have the problem of getting only hideously "Low-Fi" compressed music -- artifacts and all.

This might be OK for listening on those horrible "white" bud 'phones' but this stuff really doesn't wash on decent sound equipment -- perhaps this isn't important to todays consumers but there are still a lot of peole out there who appreciate and want QUALITY and UNCOMPRESSED music.

Cheers

-K

perhaps the nefarious could get involved in "slotmusic" by impregnating the back of the card with LSD, for instant lick and stick fun! :rolleyes:

Ah well, when you're buying a paramore album, doesnt really matter what "codec" or "lossy/lossless" format its in, it still sucks. As does most sound engineering these days. But I digress.

Those things are awfully tiny, and Im curious at what price point they plan on selling them at...

Apart from the fact that Rhapsody tends to work only in the USA you still have the problem of getting only hideously "Low-Fi" compressed music -- artifacts and all.

This might be OK for listening on those horrible "white" bud 'phones' but this stuff really doesn't wash on decent sound equipment -- perhaps this isn't important to todays consumers but there are still a lot of peole out there who appreciate and want QUALITY and UNCOMPRESSED music.

Cheers

-K

ok tell me what hi-fi you have with a "slot" in it? I appreciate hi-fi, but at some point i must just enjoy the music. That is the point.

I took some pics of the Walmart setup that's kicking CDs out... iTunes download cards.

Wow, interesting stuff. I have not seen those in the UK yet. We do have the generic iTunes "Gift card" things, pretty much every supermarket has them on display at the checkout counters. That said, WalMart has bought one of the big 5 UK supermarket brands called Asda so who knows what Stateside wares we will see in them soon. :)

Edited by Arr-Nine-Hundred