The State of MD

Rate this topic

Strungup

I went to Akiba today and spent ALL DAY , in Akiba store to store , every floor , hidden back alley , well known , Pro Audio , every place I know

MD Is Dead ......... there are EH 50's at a few places but no EH-70's nor will there be , at Yodobashi Akiba 4th floor there are two 929's an RH1 , and three EH-50's

and there wont be anymore when they are gone .

at most stores , I saw Walls of iPods , and displays of Network Walkman's , but in every place I went , MD was Gone .

There is one NH3D hidden on the 2nd floor of a Place I know , 28,000 yen.

But in every store I asked about MD , they will not order anymore , it is OVER .

The Paradigm Shift is completed , and the Digital connection of EVERYTHING to the Computer or Internet , has been Made . There wasn't a single new device that wasnt somehow a Connected device .

Anything I will be able to do for the MDCF from here will be Used , and from Hardoff , I will not be able to get anything else from this point New .

unless you want an EH-50 ..................

there are a total of four 929's that I know where they are , Pink and BLUE

There are a few RH1's

and ONE , ........ NH3d

at Akihabara .. the CAPITOL of Denkiland and Geekdom , iPod has taken over , I have Never SEEN so Many iPods , in every store , a WALL of iPods

at Shibuya Labi ( Yamada Denki )

a HUGE wall , nothing but iPods , and hidden in another room up side steps , Sony Network Walkmans

Yodobashi ,..... iPods , Network Walkmans , Cowan .

Isimaru , Sofmap , everywhere ,Dos Paras , Tocara Audio , even the shops run by the Turkish guys , MD was Gone ( well there were two Sharps , I didnt get the Models though)

There should have been Hundreds of MD's scattered throughout Akiba ........ but it was a Fish picked clean , all bones with just a Hint of anything left under the Jawline

but that is all the New

Edited by Guitarfxr

Sad news indeed.

R.I.P. MD (1991-2008)

Good thing people like you and I and many other son this board already stocked up, on everything MD and Hi-MD, from blanks to cases to players and recorders.

I don't think I will be doing to much reselling of my massive stock, especially since I may never see it again, knowing that we are all like sharks who smell blood in the water (an MD unit or accessories for sale) and have a tendancy of wanting it either for everyday use or as a backup to add to their ever-valuable stash.

Dead format? Dead my a..!!! I still use it at home even ten years since I first go into it, as well as in the car, and I even use MDs to make my compilations and record my tapes and LP's in order to upload them to my PC (with SS 4.2CP) with one of my three RH1's for use with my NW-HD5 Network Walkman.

I also have hundreds of blanks (both new and used), and well as tons of assorted accessories I have gotten over the past ten years, and right now I trust them more than I do the stock market when it comes to maintaining most of their resale value in the long term.

Sad news indeed.

R.I.P. MD (1991-2008)

Dead format? Dead my a..!!! I still use it at home even ten years since I first go into it, as well as in the car, and I even use MDs to make my compilations and record my tapes and LP's in order to upload them to my PC (with SS 4.2CP) with one of my three RH1's for use with my NW-HD5 Network Walkman.

Well, MD isn't "dead" in the sense of "no longer useful," but it is no longer commercially developed. I think we all pretty much knew that. I may be just old enough that my current inventory of MD units and blanks will last as long as I do. That's seven decks and three or four portables. Hundreds of blanks. And there's always not only Ebay, but various other web sites where one can sometimes find an MD unit for sale. It is sad that such a truly great format has come to this, but I suppose inevitable in this age of instant connectivity.

Let us now praise MD, not bury it!

Well, MD isn't "dead" in the sense of "no longer useful," but it is no longer commercially developed. I think we all pretty much knew that. I may be just old enough that my current inventory of MD units and blanks will last as long as I do. That's seven decks and three or four portables. Hundreds of blanks. And there's always not only Ebay, but various other web sites where one can sometimes find an MD unit for sale. It is sad that such a truly great format has come to this, but I suppose inevitable in this age of instant connectivity.

Let us now praise MD, not bury it!

Amen to that, I will keep trying through friends and whatever to keep my stock expanding.

We know what;s best

Bob

This post doesn't scare me. Nor am I surprised. I'm just waiting for the surge of MD player sales via Ebay when everyone finally gives up on them, and they go CHEAP ;)

Think about it... I'll bet Sony produced some 20,000 EH1 units out there... nevermind the 20 or so we can account for on this forum.

Edited by theblueraja

This post doesn't scare me. Nor am I surprised. I'm just waiting for the surge of MD player sales via Ebay when everyone finally gives up on them, and they go CHEAP ;)

Think about it... I'll bet Sony produced some 20,000 EH1 units out there... nevermind the 20 or so we can account for on this forum.

The glass is either half empty , or it is half full .......... depends on just WHAT is in the glass ( HEY BARTENDER !!!!!) :rolleyes:

I really don't understand... what do they DO with remaining stock? Throw it AWAY? Surely they didn't sell all the units that were produced...

When they cannot make money in one market they send it where they can , so as that MP3 player have taken over and Flash Recorders are the new standard the MD's get sent to third world markets , or Outlets that buy them in bulk , so Shelf space for new stuff can be made .

Here in Kathmandu, thanks to the complete lack of policing, music distribution is way ahead of the rest of world. Just take your flashdrive unit into the local music/video shop and they'll load the latest tunes while you wait. No need for your own computer, just an inexpensive mp3 player.

For a consumer music player, MD requires too much ancillary equipment and knowledge - a CD player and/or computer and the ability to have them interface - to be affordable or useful in the developing world. I suppose the overstock is not being shipped to Africa or Central Asia.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But in every store I asked about MD , they will not order anymore , it is OVER .

The Paradigm Shift is completed , and the Digital connection of EVERYTHING to the Computer or Internet , has been Made . There wasn't a single new device that wasnt somehow a Connected device .

So no CD Walkmans?

Connected devices are great, but I wish batteries and flash media could be disconnected on most of these portable audio devices (PSP and Sony Ericsson phone-style), for easy swaps when out and about and easy replacement when battery ages and no longer holds suitable charge. It's ridiculous that most don't.

Recording from optical, line and computer sources while having a good choice of compatible remotes, on-unit gaplessness and track-marking like Hi-MD has doesn't seem like it will be achieved at the mass-market level again, unless Sony really surprise us, I reckon.

I look at my Hi-MD collection and smile at just how unique and great these units are. Right now they almost seem to becoming some strange antiquity while the world+dog continues to buy largely high-capacity multi-purpose but restricted devices. Yet when push comes to shove, Hi-MD delivers, and delivers so effortlessly in virtually every way I expect them to (sound quality, editing flexibility, recording from multiple sources, portable playback, uploading to computer, battery life, replaceable media and batteries).

Love them and I see that love only growing more as time goes on

...until their true successor comes out, that is :)

I look at my Hi-MD collection and smile at just how unique and great these units are. Right now they almost seem to becoming some strange antiquity while the world+dog continues to buy largely high-capacity multi-purpose but restricted devices. Yet when push comes to shove, Hi-MD delivers, and delivers so effortlessly in virtually every way I expect them to (sound quality, editing flexibility, recording from multiple sources, portable playback, uploading to computer, battery life, replaceable media and batteries).

A M E N.

Unfortunately, I've turned away from HiMD due to the scarcity of units. Since I used to use 132k HiMD bitrate anyway, switching to LP2 was no big deal at all. Now I have many more units, and even decks, to choose from on Ebay, while HiMD is virtually gone.

A M E N.

Unfortunately, I've turned away from HiMD due to the scarcity of units. Since I used to use 132k HiMD bitrate anyway, switching to LP2 was no big deal at all. Now I have many more units, and even decks, to choose from on Ebay, while HiMD is virtually gone.

YOu still can find HiMD units with the "right keywords" on ebay. :)

I just came from Akihabara , looking for GP gumsticks for MD's

NOTHING , Not 1 GP gumstick , I found a different brand but theye were 800 yen apiece . and , these are also the last of the bunch .

I had a Long ( over an hour) discussion with the vender , and he informed me that GP no longer makes these . as well SOny and Panasonic have stopped production .

He said there may be manufacture elsewhere , meaning China or EUROPE , But in japan they are done .

He said he could sell me the few boxes he has left , and if buying by the Box , he would drop the price to 700 yen per stick ( 35,000 yen per box) 50 in a box.

What is GP?

I presume he's referring to the large battery company, once known as Gold Peak. I didn't realise people other than Sony made these gumstick batteries in the past. The fact that they're getting hard to find reinforces my belief that being able to run an MD on AA cells is important (whether directly or by AA-powered USB chargers).

YOu still can find HiMD units with the "right keywords" on ebay. :)

That's true, Levanel, but compared to SP or SP/LP units, it seems like HiMD's are relatively scarce - and relatively expensive, as well.

HiMD could make sense for me if only the decks had the features I need and if they weren't so rare and expensive. At this point, it doesn't matter much anyway, as I am not about to spend several hundred dollars on anything I don't really need. The economic times are taking their toll.

...as well SOny and Panasonic have stopped production .

Now this is surprising. What is going on in Japan?

The thin, sexy gumstick battery is also on the way out?

This is really sad news, if true.

I had hopes that Sony (at the very least), would continue making them (bare minimum) and hopefully integrate them into new portable audio products (at least one or two). GP I was never a fan of, so I couldn't care either way, but Sony? Panasonic?

So select Hi-MD models were the last products to utilise the gumsticks?

That's true, Levanel, but compared to SP or SP/LP units, it seems like HiMD's are relatively scarce - and relatively expensive, as well.

HiMD could make sense for me if only the decks had the features I need and if they weren't so rare and expensive. At this point, it doesn't matter much anyway, as I am not about to spend several hundred dollars on anything I don't really need. The economic times are taking their toll.

??? I bought 2 NH700's, one for $40, one for $70. In the summer there was a firm selling lots of them new in the box for $90. There's one right now at $15 with only 19 hours to go.

??? I bought 2 NH700's, one for $40, one for $70. In the summer there was a firm selling lots of them new in the box for $90. There's one right now at $15 with only 19 hours to go.

Decks. I referred to HiMD decks. That's what I meant. A HiMD deck with the features of say, an MDS-JB940 - that I'd consider for $40, or$70, or even $100 :-)

Besides, it seems like HiMD is pretty much meant to be used in conjunction with a computer. All my current SP/LP units are standalone and are staying that way.

Decks. I referred to HiMD decks. That's what I meant. A HiMD deck with the features of say, an MDS-JB940 - that I'd consider for $40, or$70, or even $100 :-)

Besides, it seems like HiMD is pretty much meant to be used in conjunction with a computer. All my current SP/LP units are standalone and are staying that way.

Hmm, I tend to agree with you about decks. However Sony isn't going to come out with one.

As Avrin pointed out elsewhere, you get better more reliable compression with computer. For example the MXD-D400 does a lousy job at x4 with LP2, indicating that the hardware compression is not as good as software compression, at least on high speed.

The advantages of NHx00 (x=6,7,8) series are that they store LP2 a lot more densely, and run off AA batteries. Like you, I still like my decks for dealing with sound editing, and particularly for A-to-D of old recordings. But I recognise that the combination of HiMD and computer-wave-editors gives me lots of options to avoid degrading the sound.

Hmm, I tend to agree with you about decks. However Sony isn't going to come out with one.

As Avrin pointed out elsewhere, you get better more reliable compression with computer. For example the MXD-D400 does a lousy job at x4 with LP2, indicating that the hardware compression is not as good as software compression, at least on high speed.

The advantages of NHx00 (x=6,7,8) series are that they store LP2 a lot more densely, and run off AA batteries. Like you, I still like my decks for dealing with sound editing, and particularly for A-to-D of old recordings. But I recognise that the combination of HiMD and computer-wave-editors gives me lots of options to avoid degrading the sound.

Sony is currently in so much trouble that I suspect HiMD or any other MD is something they may never give another thought to.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081209/as_japan_sony.html

As for me, the software /code/etc etc etc I have to deal with/write/etc etc etc at work means that even if I have to put up with the terrible burden of listening to my (apparently) lousy LP2 MDs - some of which have indeed been recorded @4x - then I would rather do so than perform even some diluted version of what I do at work. At home, it's quite enough for me to maintain the two computers my wife needs for her work. It's a relief to me that with MD, I can actually get away from all that. Of course, as we say now, YMMV, or as we said then, different strokes...

All that said and aside, with the exception that I wish SP MD could somehow have just a bit more capacity - even 90 minutes would be great - I'm basically still infatuated with the format. Dare I say, I love it? ;-)

Sony is currently in so much trouble that I suspect HiMD or any other MD is something they may never give another thought to.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081209/as_japan_sony.html

Reducing electronics investments by one-third.

Good, maybe now they'll bother to add FLAC and removable battery support in their Walkmans :) If even Sandisk has now finally implemented FLAC and Ogg Vorbis (and being open-source it's not costing a cent in additional royalties), it clearly shows someone is not trying.

If anything they should be trying harder, not coasting on their name and wondering why the market and/or exchange rates are so tough. This is of course one minor part of their electronics business that can be improved in some small way, making them more desirable (IMO). The other part is the long-overdue flash recorders with MiniDisc features :)

No comment on the rest of their electronics business. I claim ignorance.

Sony, are you listening?

If anything they should be trying harder, not coasting on their name and wondering why the market and/or exchange rates are so tough. This is of course one minor part of their electronics business that can be improved in some small way, making them more desirable (IMO). The other part is the long-overdue flash recorders with MiniDisc features :)

Sony, are you listening?

Well said Tekdude

• 2 months later...

The most recent issue of The Economist features an article on Sir Howard Stinger's reign at Sony and his reaction to the current state of the world economy. The full article is here, with an excerpt below.

Now Sir Howard has the control he feels he needs. “When this crisis came along, for me it was a godsend, because I could reorganise the company without having to battle the forces of the status quo,” he says. He has reorganised Sony into two groups, one based around networked media products (games, computers, music-players, new mobile products and related services) and the other encompassing televisions, cameras and components. Crucially, the restructuring means that software development and procurement will be wrested from individual product groups and centralised, quashing their “silo” mentality—something Sir Howard has long been trying to accomplish.

The reforms go deeper. Sony will cut around 16,000 employees, including full-time workers who had counted on lifetime employment. It also will close up to six of its 57 factories around the world. Sony expects all this to save around $2.5 billion a year. It has been too slow to move its operations to where its customers are. Around half of its products by value are made in Japan, but only 15% of its electronics sales are domestic. The strength of the yen, which soared during 2008, is debilitating.

Sir Howard says Sony is open to making deals to bring in new ideas and technologies or to shed underperforming businesses. “The issue of cutting costs, laying off people and closing factories, and the like, is very difficult,” he says. “I’ve got to respect the country that I’m in—but I will push them as far as I can.” The big question now, assuming that Sir Howard is finally in a position to make radical changes, is whether he will be able to make them quickly enough to save Sony, and himself. The next year will be his final toss of the dice. If he is unable to overhaul the company, the next head to roll will be his.

While doing some business in downtown Fukuoka this afternoon I stopped by Bic Camera, one the city's three electronics retailers. The only sign of MD was in the home audio section, a selection of Onkyo combo systems, as well a larger selection of what we used to call boom boxes. Also on hand were a fair selection of blanks.

There was no sign of MD in the portable audio section but for this pamphlet, which as you can see was issued in August of last year (a new one should be coming this month or next). Only 4 MD models are included in a catalog featuring other hot tech items such as CD walkman and cassette walkman.

post-58139-1237192459.jpg

post-58139-1237192470.jpg