Taking a risk

Rate this topic

gabgar

hi, brand new to this forum although I had been lurking here and there for a while.

Back in 2000 I had bought a Sony MD deck (I believe the JB920) it was the one before the one with the Keyboard input and it was great. Anyway, times had changed and I had decided to sell it.

But I do remember how great the MD sounded and in my opinion sounded much better than even a CD. Perhaps it was just the old CD player I had. Still, I never went back to MD until now.

I want to get a new one but this time a portable one. OF course , seems like now, with the MP3 and IPOD frenzy, the, MD is about to be no more....

This is also another reason why I want to sell my 32GB Itouch which I bought back in June to get one of any any rare Minidiscs players.

what do you guys think?

suggestions welcomed

Thank you

gabgar

Just get an Mz-RH1, the last unit made.

Whit this unit you can take the adventage of to have 2 units in one, cause, this unit can play/record in MD or HI-MD (so atract format is used) and can play Mp3 files (whiout having to transform in atract mode) , plus in Hi-Md mode you can store data,as an external mass storage.

Gab , the Sound of MD , is still an ear tingling sensation with a good pair of phones .

I have about 20 different Recorders , from Vintage very first Model made , all the way to the Last one the RH1 .

If your not in dire need of all the Functions of the iTouch , and just want Good music , then it is not a risk ( battery life of the iPod is about 3 years , then it must be replaced at a cost of about half what you paid for the iPod ) by contrast , my MZ-R50 lasted over 10 years faithful service, My MZ-R700 lasted 6 before I sold it and it was STILL going strong when I sold it, Many here who have the MZ-1 first model , that still works records and Plays , Mine no longer records , but will still play ( that is a 16 year old unit still working )

The interaction of sound , and tactile sensation of the disc mechanism , the whir and click , and just the feel of the Player in your hand tells you it is a work of art .

That is how we who use MD feel about them , ......... You got your feet wet , because you had one , but if the water felt good ,... why not Jump in for a swim ???

I want to get a new one but this time a portable one. OF course , seems like now, with the MP3 and IPOD frenzy, the, MD is about to be no more....

This is also another reason why I want to sell my 32GB Itouch which I bought back in June to get one of any any rare Minidiscs players.

If rarity and NewGadgetLust are the reasons you want to get one, I would say don't bother unless you are into collecting. If money isn't so tight, though...then go for it. If you can make use of and/or appreciate some of the more unique features of MD (recording from various sources, track-marking, being able to do a fair few things without computer, removable batteries, optical input, line input, sound, remotes, etc) then I'd say it probably would be worth getting.

But it all comes down to how strong your needs/wants and how strong your budget is, to a large extent, also how much you may miss your current device, if selling it. Every device has its limitations, and it's really up to you whether you can live with one device's limitations (and advantages) over another.

Edited by tekdroid

I say skip the minidisc...it's on the way out.

everything is on it's way out from the moment it's designed and shipped. If minidisc fits what you need to do get one, there are still RH1's around, still stuff on ebay, and you can probably find units in pawn shops etc. Yeah you can find something that plays music, but if you want good sound, recording capability and decent build quality, md is still the way to go.

JMHO

Bob

Can you record with a MP3 player or an iTouch?

Nope.

sector001 may have a point with MD being somewhat "obsolete" as far as it being a player is concerned although myself and a few on this board may have a bit to say about that, but MD and Hi-MD are indispensible as far as a digital recording device is concerned, and the RH1/MZ-M200 is the ultimate MiniDisc/Hi-MD recorder when it comes to its versatility.

The MZ-RH1 (or MZ-M200) can not only play and record off any source (live, line-in, mic-in and digital optical), but also it can upload your recordings (and even premastered MDs you buy at the store) direct to your PC for conversion to MP3 or AAC (or you can leave it in ATRAC) and for transfer to your other players, including your iTouch (I think SonicStage CP 4.2 might allow it), so I would suggest you get one.

Although I now use my NW-HD5 for my player use and my RH1 as an uploader, I do every once in a while ge out the RH1 to listen to an MD or Hi-MD I make, and that is where MD/Hi-MD is indispensible, because if the HDD crashes or if your DAP wears out, what do you do?

Why I don't wanna by an ipod?

-baterry intregrated (afther the bat runs out it's no possible to remplace)

-Weak sound (yes even whit a dock-speakers that cost a huge price)

-Cost, yes about 300€ (the new Ipod touch), is a huge price por a "gadged" that only play it can't record

-No Ac-dc included, so the only way to recarge the battery is to plug into the usb port, or to expen more € and by an ac-dc to recharge the bat

-Dependence of Pc ( is not possible to put music in it whitout pc)

Why I don't wanna by an ipod?

-baterry intregrated (afther the bat runs out it's no possible to remplace)

-Weak sound (yes even whit a dock-speakers that cost a huge price)

-Cost, yes about 300€ (the new Ipod touch), is a huge price por a "gadged" that only play it can't record

-No Ac-dc included, so the only way to recarge the battery is to plug into the usb port, or to expen more € and by an ac-dc to recharge the bat

-Dependence of Pc ( is not possible to put music in it whitout pc)

Those are good reasons.

iPod's battery can be replaced after 300-500 charge cycles but requires "surgery" and if you buy the replacement battery from Apple it will cost you some downtime (have to send it back) and a fair slice of the wallet. If you do it yourself you have to be prepared for some surgery, which to me is ridiculous in 2008, let alone 1988.

Apple sell an AC-adaptor-to-USB thingy at additional cost, of course.

For me user-replaceable batteries are so logical that to not have that feature is just insanity. You might also consider Walkman phones or similar for removable batteries and flash media. The PSP, also, has removable battery and flash and sounds verrrrry much like non-HD amp Hi-MD models to me (also is drag-n-drop).

hi, brand new to this forum although I had been lurking here and there for a while.

Back in 2000 I had bought a Sony MD deck (I believe the JB920) it was the one before the one with the Keyboard input and it was great. Anyway, times had changed and I had decided to sell it.

But I do remember how great the MD sounded and in my opinion sounded much better than even a CD. Perhaps it was just the old CD player I had. Still, I never went back to MD until now.

what do you guys think?

suggestions welcomed

Thank you

gabgar

You may want to consider getting an "older" NetMD unit that uses "AA" batteries. Those units seem studier to me (I own or have owned all of the 1st generation HiMD units along with numerous Net and Standard MD units). You don't have to worry about the expensive and proprietary Sony gumstick batteries, and you can run the off AC power. Or you could consider the MZ-NHF800 which is a HiMD unit with an AM/FM remote that runs off standard "AA" batteries. I just bought a brand new in box MZ-N510 for $80 on eBay. Hard to go wrong with that. You can get MZ-N505s and similar for $30-$40 used. I bought a used MZ-N505 years and years ago and it is still running strong. I think I ripped probably 1000 CDs using that thing.

As far as the whole iPod thing - I have all kinds of different music gadgets, including iPods, that I use at various times for various things. I always still come back to my MD units though for the sound, and the media.

Good luck!

You may want to consider getting an "older" NetMD unit that uses "AA" batteries. Those units seem studier to me (I own or have owned all of the 1st generation HiMD units along with numerous Net and Standard MD units). You don't have to worry about the expensive and proprietary Sony gumstick batteries, and you can run the off AC power. Or you could consider the MZ-NHF800 which is a HiMD unit with an AM/FM remote that runs off standard "AA" batteries. I just bought a brand new in box MZ-N510 for $80 on eBay. Hard to go wrong with that. You can get MZ-N505s and similar for $30-$40 used. I bought a used MZ-N505 years and years ago and it is still running strong. I think I ripped probably 1000 CDs using that thing.

As far as the whole iPod thing - I have all kinds of different music gadgets, including iPods, that I use at various times for various things. I always still come back to my MD units though for the sound, and the media.

Good luck!

Yes the 510,610,710,810 all have type-S playback and the result sounds great for portable use, at least as good as HiMD in my opinion. and you get 2 hrs 40 minutes in LP2 (the default) on a standard "80 min SP" disc. Ah yes, the 710 and 810 need the NiMH gumstick battery, but they can be obtained cheaply here.

The NH600 takes an AA but won't charge it for you. The NH700 takes an AA and will charge it for you, but I recently found that a wall charger (from your local drugstore) does a better job. You can make an NHF800 by buying an RM-MC37ELT (see here for example) - and plugging it into the NH700.

Yes Psp sounds also great, but il lack of volume power ( on European versión) so it's imposible to lisent it when're on the bus/tub or similar.

And its size, is very big to fit into pocket!

Yeah largeness and the fact that it doesn't have the type of remotes I want and other features is why I don't like the PSP for everyday music playback but it's a good option for general music, movies and gaming on the go, regardless (sitting in your lap rather than pocket). Not for all scenarios, for sure.

If the euro PSPs are less than 5mW+5mW into 16ohms, then it is indeed not good. 5mW is not ideal to start with, and Sony seems to have not gone beyond this.

Other than that, a good pair of headphones always gives me the impression that I'm listening to Hi-MD (as far as I'm concerned the sound is identical). Sony payed attention to the sound and isolating the audio well from interference, unlike Nintendo with their portables.