Head Noise

Rate this topic

brian10161

When the head is reading or recording, is there much audible noise coming from the unit? My NH600 sounds as though it has asthma and needs and inhaler soon. Just wondering because I scored an RH1 somewhat free through my parents. Just kind of hoping it's at least as quiet as my N510, if not no big deal. Small price to pay while having one of the best formats. ;)

Thanks

Agree with green, some used discs will misbehave when you have inserted them. For example I made a recording for 6 hours and the whole time, there was a small noise like a mouse patting its feet on the case :) No obvious problems on playback, but that could be because the head loads relatively rarely.

Unless this **doesn't** happen in another unit (assuming you have one) I might think about retiring that disk.

I have 4 units, and my 600 is the loudest. I was just wondering if the RH1 is any quieter than the 600. I don't think it's a defective MD, it's not the disk making the noise. It's just when the head moves from one end of the disk to the other, can test it when playing the first track, then skipping to the last.

Anyway, I do expect noise, just not this much. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, pretty much. I know the disc at least shouldn't be fragmented as I record a brand new disk with tracks in order and it only makes the noise when it gets around half way through the full disk and then it will continue on through to the end. It's weird, it writes one track, then it moves the head, then it starts the next track. But it sounds like it's going from the end right to the beginning, then back to the end to write the next track.

Just seems like a lot of unnecessary moving really.

I can understand it moving the head around on a fragmented disk, files all over, but on a brand new recording where I select all the files that I want, then push the right red arrow button and copy over all the tracks in one list in the same order it will still do this.

Anyway, I'll try to get a recording of my 600 making this noise. No garauntee, but I can try.

The mode of recording I'm using is LP2, HiMD 1gb media.

I suspect the reason it does it with HiMD is that there are checksums and encryption in the headers, not just the data, or they are linked to the headers by some encryption key. Avrin knows more. Funny thing, I have never noticed it on a live recording, even though other people tell me it is there.

You should be happy that writes headers every so often... without them your HiMD sound files on that disk would be worthless. Unlike legacy MD, you cannot TOC-clone a HiMD. Right, aaron?

I have several minidisc units as well. I only have one HiMD unit and that is the MZ-DH10P (minidisc camera). It is by far the noisiest of the lot, even when playing non-fragmented audio discs. The battery saving method is to spin up the disc, read info then stop the disc. When buffer is depleated it spins up again to read more data. This noise is caused by constant spinning up then stopping of the disc on mine.

When you transfer files over USB to or from a fragmented disc then you get the snow-scraper sound!