Which MD recorder for me?

Rate this topic

Giant_Rick

Hi guys,

after many nights spent thinkin' if a minidisc recorder would be good for me, I found that the answer is simply ''yes''.

But there are a lot of MD out here, and I don't have a clue on which one should I buy. I would prefer to buy a Hi-MD one.

The main features I need are:

•line in and mic in because I want to record concerts

•mic sensitivity selector (if possible)

•downloading from /uploading to my PC the files on the discs

•pitch/speed control: I play the guitar and I'm used to transcribe songs and I'd love to have a device that slows down the speed to listen better to the notes.

My budget is about 250€..

I'm thinkin' about getting one of these MDs:

Sony MZ NH900 / NH1 / RH1.

The RH1 is my forbidden dream, but it's too expensive for me... but if I buy it from minidisc-canada.com I will save a lot of money... with 250€ I'll pay the RH1, 3 Sony balnks Hi-MD and 10 TDK blank 80mins MD.. plus shipping.

Is minidisc-canada.com a safe place where I can buy from or is it a place to avoid?

Where can I buy a MD recorder in Italy?

Cheers!!

Riccardo

Well, a MDLP NetMD recorder won't give you bidirectional digital audio transfers, only PC > MD, not MD > PC, if that counts for anything for you, and no uncompressed PCM.

I was thinkin' about the 'bidirectional transfer' and... well, I'll upload in analogic way my recordings on the PC; in the meantime I can do something else... I saw a Sony MZ N707 for a great price (under 120€) and it's sweet.. if I'll like it, in the future I can buy a RH1...

And what you mean with 'uncompressed PCM'? Can I record in standard PCM?

Well, I was thinkin: should I spend a lot on a great model or should I spend not too much moneyon an average model?

I'm talking about buying a Sony MZ N700 (707) and then hack it up to some features...

707's are old, and are prone to record head wires breaking and destroying your recordings. Go to an Nh-700, then you can to live, as well as upload your recording. My 707 is a very nice paperweight, that's all I dare use it for.

Have fun, and welcome to the machine

Bob

If you can find the MZ-NH700 or MZ-NHF800 --the same unit with a FM radio remote in the NHF800--you'll save some money over the RH1, and the only missing feature you care about is pitch control (the RH1 has it, MZ-NH700 doesn't).

No MD without H in the name will upload files to your computer. They are old. You're better off just starting with a Hi-MD.

I love my MZ-NH700. I use it to record shows 3-4 times a week, stuck in a pocket, and it has been going steadily for 3 years.

I got my RH1 from MDC. Excellent website mate.

I can offer this bit of advice. Don't buy a bunch of different players, get the RH1. I did that, I purchased a few older units, used, but NetMD/MDLP all of em. I finally worked out a deal with my parents for my birthday present and I got the RH1 from MDC.

I haven't used my NetMD players since. Your better off just biting the bullet and getting the good one and be happy. Get an extra battery from them too if you can, $35 CAD. I have bought a lot of discs and stuff from MDC as of late, so I wouldn't worry about them being a bad company. They're great.

• 2 weeks later...