MZ-NH1 "NO DISC" problem

Rate this topic

mat_skm

Hi All,

I was quite pumped when I won an auction for an MZ-NH1 for 35 GBP (about 50 USD). Only snag is it doesn't come with remote or charging stand (ah! I can hear you say..) But no remote is fine for me because I just want to use it for basic recording and playback. I have an NH900 for editing if need be. And I was planning on making a battery pack out of the USB cable.

But when I plug the unit into a PC with the USB cable, it doesn't recognise the disc. It says "PC--MD" or similar briefly, has the spinning disc iconn, and then goes straight to "NO DISC" and won't budge. I listen very carefully when the USB cable is plugged in and I can hear a motor spinning up, but none of the louder clicking noises I get with the NH900 and NH600 when they spin up a disc.

Now I read one post that said a person ran into this due to a crash in sonicstage. And the problem got solved when they plugged it back into the charging stand (6V supply). Apparently the battery was unable to reset their problem. But I don't want to go to all the trouble of building a battery pack for a dead unit. The unit by the way has the battery, but its dead, and the USB won't charge it beyond about 3 mA trickle!!

So....does anyone live anywhere near Haywards Heath, West Sussex, and own a charging stand for an MZ-NH1 they would be willing to test my MZ-NH1 in?

Or doese anyone else have any other suggestions?

cheers

Mat

MZ-NH1 can't get to all its features without a remote, unlike your other units. Just something to be aware of.

But it's really unrelated to your NO DISC problem. Might be a stupid question, but you've tried another disc?

Its not a stupid question, but I did try another disc. The one which came with it I tried in my NH900 and it worked. I also tried one which I recorded with the NH900 and it didn't work in the NH1 (i.e., NO DISC). This disc also worked in my NH600.

Its not a stupid question, but I did try another disc. The one which came with it I tried in my NH900 and it worked. I also tried one which I recorded with the NH900 and it didn't work in the NH1 (i.e., NO DISC). This disc also worked in my NH600.

Take the battery right out, let the unit reset, and see if you can charge the battery directly ( put 4 to 5 volts on it for ten to fifteen minutes ) and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try a sony repair depot near you, they should be able to get you going.

Good luck

bob

Take the battery right out, let the unit reset, and see if you can charge the battery directly ( put 4 to 5 volts on it for ten to fifteen minutes ) and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try a sony repair depot near you, they should be able to get you going.

Good luck

bob

That sounds like it might work. Would it harm the battery to charge it in this way?

cheers

Mat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

It's been some time that I've visited this wonderful site. I am happy to have found this thread because I am having the (almost) exact same problem.

I purchased an MZ-RH1 which worked perfectly, up until two days ago. For no reason, it's suddenly stopped working correctly. I put a disc in and it spins like crazy but won't read the disc at all..*or*...after a few minutes of seemingly endless spinning it says "NO DISC" and then shuts down. I've tried taking the battery out. No good. I've tried buying a new one and installing that. No good. I can't check anything into Sonicstage which is driving me crazy and although I can't use it to listen to anything, for some bizarre reason it still seems to record when tried. Problem is, it won't stop...I literally have to pop the battery out to do that.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else there is to try? And also, would anyone have a ball park figure on how much it would be, or if it would be worth it, to send this to Sony to fix? Money is not exactly available right now and I am between the rock and the hard place.

Thanks for any assistance you can lend.

Hi folks,

It's been some time that I've visited this wonderful site. I am happy to have found this thread because I am having the (almost) exact same problem.

I purchased an MZ-RH1 which worked perfectly, up until two days ago. For no reason, it's suddenly stopped working correctly. I put a disc in and it spins like crazy but won't read the disc at all..*or*...after a few minutes of seemingly endless spinning it says "NO DISC" and then shuts down. I've tried taking the battery out. No good. I've tried buying a new one and installing that. No good. I can't check anything into Sonicstage which is driving me crazy and although I can't use it to listen to anything, for some bizarre reason it still seems to record when tried. Problem is, it won't stop...I literally have to pop the battery out to do that.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else there is to try? And also, would anyone have a ball park figure on how much it would be, or if it would be worth it, to send this to Sony to fix? Money is not exactly available right now and I am between the rock and the hard place.

Thanks for any assistance you can lend.

I had a similar problem not long ago with one of my NH1's, tried the battery trick, several discs, all the same. I figured, what the heck, took the tp cover off couldn't see anything obvious, manually moved the head, reassembled it, put in a disc, and voila, it worked and hasn't skipped a beat since, may be worth a try in your case.

Is your unit still under warranty? Also had a similar problem a couple of years ago on my other one, sentr it with a friend to take to Sony, just charged me $50.00 to replace the optical block, worth a try as well.

Bob

I had a similar problem not long ago with one of my NH1's, tried the battery trick, several discs, all the same. I figured, what the heck, took the tp cover off couldn't see anything obvious, manually moved the head, reassembled it, put in a disc, and voila, it worked and hasn't skipped a beat since, may be worth a try in your case.

Is your unit still under warranty? Also had a similar problem a couple of years ago on my other one, sentr it with a friend to take to Sony, just charged me $50.00 to replace the optical block, worth a try as well.

Bob

<sheepishly> I wish I had your nerve! I would honestly take it apart if I thought I knew what I was doing! :D Problem is, I have no clue what I am looking for.

And alas, the warranty ran out ages ago. I've tried to take super good care of this thing, but I've had it a few years now, so sadly that's not an option.

$50 bucks eh? I guess I may have to take a stab at finding a Sony center here in NJ. Thanks for chiming in.