Atrac3Plus 256 or 352kbps

Rate this topic

vertical

Hi I'm recording vinyl from turntable directly to minidisc with line-in without any preamps. Is there big difference what kbps to choose for storing (256 or 352?). Im going to listen these recordings on my stereo system at home.

thanks

the difference is exactly 96 kbps! you have to have the ears to hear the difference. try for yourself.

or you are a perfectionist or something. then even 352 won't be an option (PCM will).

I doubt the human ear would be able to tell the difference between the two. For that matter, many will argue that later version of the original 292kbps ATRAC is "acoustically lossless", much less ATRAC3+ bitrates which are two generations newer using similar bitrates. So if space is any issue at all, I would run with the 256. Another advantage to 256 is that it is one of the rates for the RH1/M200, and it also will be able to be played back in potentially more walkman units.

Hi I'm recording vinyl from turntable directly to minidisc with line-in without any preamps. Is there big difference what kbps to choose for storing (256 or 352?). Im going to listen these recordings on my stereo system at home.

thanks

You may not like the sound if the cartridge even has enough output to give you a decent level, one of the functions of a preamp as well as amping the signal, is to give the signal the right equalization, or pr-emphasis, to make it sound good.

Let us know how your experiment pans out

Bob

PCM won't deceive you. 256, even 352kbps might, depending on your stereo system and your hearing.

I never considered myself particularly a perfectionist, but after upgrading my speakers, there was no hesitation: no more lossy.

Wiz...

I have had a similar experience. I upgraded my speakers and now I'm hearing diffs between PCM and lossy. Although I find SP/LP2 still listenable, I find I am preferring CDs. Problem is, I just don't like fussing with CDs that much. What are you using as source for PCM into your system?

Another advantage to 256 is that it is one of the rates for the RH1/M200, and it also will be able to be played back in potentially more walkman units.

afaik the 352 kbps bitrate was part of the Hi-MD standard since day one. My Hi-MD deck (2005) plays it as well as my EH1 (2004, 1st generation). So, every ATRAC3plus bitrate should play on every Hi-MD unit. The only thing to still be cautious of is MP3 playback. Only the RH1 will REALLY play MP3s properly. The second generation - as we all know - has limited SQ in that regard. (In fact, the only GOOD sounding 2nd gen device is probably the DH10P.)

You may not like the sound if the cartridge even has enough output to give you a decent level, one of the functions of a preamp as well as amping the signal, is to give the signal the right equalization, or pre-emphasis, to make it sound good.

I think he was talking about a normal pre-amp not a "phono-pre".

rgrds.

Edited by sinus

Is there any software out there that can mass re-name a whole bunch of PCM files? Let's say you have 100 PCM audio tracks all named 'Untitled 1, Untitled 2' or similar. Can you line up track data which you have made with another program and get it to basically 'fire' the titles corresponding exactly to the lined-up PCM files? I just can't see myself renaming each and every PCM track because my wrist would be killing me.

Is there any software out there that can mass re-name a whole bunch of PCM files? Let's say you have 100 PCM audio tracks all named 'Untitled 1, Untitled 2' or similar. Can you line up track data which you have made with another program and get it to basically 'fire' the titles corresponding exactly to the lined-up PCM files? I just can't see myself renaming each and every PCM track because my wrist would be killing me.

Have you tried going to gracenote or similar sites and point at the folder and see what happens.

Worth a try

Bob