n5gar

Is it possible to use a timer to record with a Sony MD deck, model MDS-

JE480?

The manual says "If you use a timer, connect the AC power cord to the

outlet of the time" (page 7).

However I can not find anything else in the instructions about setting

the recorder, so when the timer powers it on it will go into record

mode.

Can someone inform me about the procedure?

Thanks.

Slide the timer switch to REC :) (I cannot be sure about the 480 but it's that way on all the standalone decks that I possess. Nothing on the MXD-D400 but that's life, you cannot have everything).

The 480 has momentary contact switches for record, forward, stop, etc. They are like the momentary contact switches on the remote control.

Yeah looks like Sony got cheap at some point. Yet the message in the manual implies that magically somehow it will work. I am mystified.

Maybe just try it - press the record button (goes into Rec Pause mode) and now turn the timer OFF (not the power switch on the MDS-JE480), ready to record.

I am guessing it magically knows to do the right thing. Most people leave their unit in "Standby" mode so power is always actually on. But these machines are fairly clever at waking up and doing the right thing - maybe they made them smart enough to do it without a special switch on the MD deck.

Yeah looks like Sony got cheap at some point. Yet the message in the manual implies that magically somehow it will work. I am mystified.

Maybe just try it - press the record button (goes into Rec Pause mode) and now turn the timer OFF (not the power switch on the MDS-JE480), ready to record.

I am guessing it magically knows to do the right thing. Most people leave their unit in "Standby" mode so power is always actually on. But these machines are fairly clever at waking up and doing the right thing - maybe they made them smart enough to do it without a special switch on the MD deck.

I tested it today. It turns out if power is lost, it won't come back on in record mode. I tried cycling the AC power both in rec pause mode, and while a recording was in progress.

I'm surprised to see the comments in the manual about plugging in a timer if there is not some way to operate the timer to start a recording.

Is it possible to use a timer to record with a Sony MD deck, model MDS-

JE480?

The manual says "If you use a timer, connect the AC power cord to the

outlet of the time" (page 7).

However I can not find anything else in the instructions about setting

the recorder, so when the timer powers it on it will go into record

mode.

Can someone inform me about the procedure?

Thanks.

I don't see how this could be made to work on the JE480 since it has no clock display.

Whilst listed as a function key on the remote control, unfortunately I think it only applies to other models!

The timer on the remote is something quite different. No internal clock needed, the idea in those decks which have it is to use an external timer.

My remote is a model RM-D10E. It is marked "Sony Minidisk Deck." I don't see any controls there for a record timer. The "T Rec" control is for recording 6 seconds of audio at the beginning, only. There is a sleep timer for playback only - - not record.

Maybe somewhere I could find a separate remote with programmable timer where I could store the record and start control signals from the RM-D10E.

My remote is a model RM-D10E. It is marked "Sony Minidisk Deck." I don't see any controls there for a record timer. The "T Rec" control is for recording 6 seconds of audio at the beginning, only. There is a sleep timer for playback only - - not record.

Maybe somewhere I could find a separate remote with programmable timer where I could store the record and start control signals from the RM-D10E.

yes that is exactly what I meant, about the T Rec button, nothing to do with what you want.

just to clarify, when you say you cycled the power, you mean you unplugged the unit from the wall?

(i.e pressing the on/off switch has no effect here, you would have to remove all power)