Windows 7 (latest build 7022) and MD software

Rate this topic

1kyle

Hi guys

just to report that anybody thinking of switching to Windows 7 -- I can report categorically that the latest "easily" available build of Windows 7 -- Build 7022 (original public beta is build 7000) works fantastically well and leaves VISTA (even SP1) behind for dust.

SS works as well as most Audio programs. Winamp is fine.

I use VLC (from Videolan) for playing most Video material -- it's small, FREE and has nearly every audio and video codec known to man or beast.

Forget Windows Media manager --it's a dog and there's a nasty piece of spyware inside reporting usage to Microsoft -- but it does come with a caveat --this information is gathered purely for statistical purposes --well if you just believe that --'Nuf said.

For mounting Virtual CD/DVD's NERO's DRIVEIMAGE no longer works. You can use SLYSOFT's Virtual Clone Drive on W7 (32 Bit version).

Simple Burner unfortunately won't work (didn't in VISTA either). However works fine in an XP (or Windows 2000) Virtual Machine.

I actually like Simple Burner as it saves me having to use SS. I only use SS essentially for "Editing" MD tack titles and uploading WAV files which I convert to FLAC and then delete from the SS library.

There is a get around to go from XP==>W7 which I'll describe in another post.

However I recommend going to W7 as soon as possible (even if the current builds expire on Aug 1 2009). W7 is what VIST should have been.

Both the 64 bit and 32 Bit versions are great -- only 32 bit version is available in Build 7022 however.

Cheers

-K

Can it be installed as an update over Vista?

Bob

Yes (but only 32 bit===>32 bit or 64 bit ===> 64 bit).

You get Windows 7 Ultimate whatever version of Vista you upgraded from.

Works an absolute treat.

(Backup your VISTA OS first of course so you can restore if you don't like VISTA)

Cheers

-K

have to give it a try, if it uses less resources than Vista, it should be OK, but in 1 1/2 years, Vista hasn't been that bad, just uses to much for what it gives

Thanks

Bob

Hi there you won't be disappointed but do save your existing OS first. I should do an "Upgrade" -- this depending on the software you've installed on your machine will take around 2 - 3 hours. A New install will take around 30 Mins --but then of course you have to re-install all your apps again plus fixes, find serial numbers etc etc. Also an upgrade takes care of compatability problems where possible.

Cheers

-K