sudden mega-bass like sound

Rate this topic

fonzie9

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but have been a Minidisc user since 1996 now.

2 weeks ago I had a small accident.

I bumped into someone while cycling with my headphones on, causing the MD (RH 910 Hi-MD) device to stop and enter "pause mode".

However, it seemed to play fine afterwards.

Didn't use the device for 10 days after that happened.

Now today, suddenly the sound has worsened severely, I have some kind of Mega Bass sound.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, or even better, how to solve this?

I tried all sound options, but nothing helped until now.

I tried other headphones, but it's definitely in the device.

Please advice, all help is appreciated.

Edited by fonzie9

Chris G might want to buy yr unit from you... ;) J/K

Not sure about that specific unit ATM--and this may be a silly question-- but did you go into the menus and check the equalizer?

Yeah I checked all menu's, can't adjust anything.

I played the same track ("massive attack - protection", because of the beautiful low) in my 2 players, the hi-md had VERY muddy, ugly bass, the MZ R70 had a very good, controlled bass sound.

Could the converter be damaged?

Could a driver reinstall help?

In any case I will call Sony for help (I'm not very hopeful though)

And in case it can't be repaired, where should I best buy a new one?

Try banging it real hard again, you never know it might do the trick lol. Maybe push the headphones in with great force and see if that does anything. Sometimes when a headphone is only partially in it causes the sound you describe.

first tip is most useful, second tip: already tried that, no luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but have been a Minidisc user since 1996 now.

2 weeks ago I had a small accident.

I bumped into someone while cycling with my headphones on, causing the MD (RH 910 Hi-MD) device to stop and enter "pause mode".

However, it seemed to play fine afterwards.

Didn't use the device for 10 days after that happened.

Now today, suddenly the sound has worsened severely, I have some kind of Mega Bass sound.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, or even better, how to solve this?

I tried all sound options, but nothing helped until now.

I tried other headphones, but it's definitely in the device.

Please advice, all help is appreciated.

What you're describing is not Mega Bass. There is no way to modify or accidentally boost the bass level on any Hi-MD unit. Sounds like you have distortion. Try removing the battery and let the unit sit for a few minutes. That's suppose to reset it. Once again, Mega Bass was only available on MD and NetMD units. Hi-MD units don't have bass.

• 4 weeks later...

What you're describing is not Mega Bass. There is no way to modify or accidentally boost the bass level on any Hi-MD unit. Sounds like you have distortion. Try removing the battery and let the unit sit for a few minutes. That's suppose to reset it. Once again, Mega Bass was only available on MD and NetMD units. Hi-MD units don't have bass.

Thanks for this!

Sorry for late replying.

I'll try when I get home to remove the battery for some minutes, sounds like it might work (I sure hope so!)

And indeed, the device has no Mega Bass setting, it just sounds like it.

No luck after removing the battery, still the same "bass-distortion"

Is there a possibility to re-install the firmware in the device?

Any other suggestions?

I hope that in any case I can still record with the device. I'm a regular taper of concerts, hopefully this is not affected by all this.....

No luck after removing the battery, still the same "bass-distortion"

Is there a possibility to re-install the firmware in the device?

Any other suggestions?

I hope that in any case I can still record with the device. I'm a regular taper of concerts, hopefully this is not affected by all this.....

Put in a disc with music, then connect the unit to the computer and open Sonic Stage. Play the music on the disc using SonicStage. If you don't hear distortion through the computer speakers, then probably only the earphone output is malfunctioning. Some wires maybe lose inside causing a short-circuit or something. YOu can also record your voice onto the unit with microphone, play it back in SonicStage and listen for distortion. IF it sounds clean, then recording is not affected by the problem.

Put in a disc with music, then connect the unit to the computer and open Sonic Stage. Play the music on the disc using SonicStage. If you don't hear distortion through the computer speakers, then probably only the earphone output is malfunctioning. Some wires maybe lose inside causing a short-circuit or something. YOu can also record your voice onto the unit with microphone, play it back in SonicStage and listen for distortion. IF it sounds clean, then recording is not affected by the problem.

I kinda agree with the last posting. Sounds like something was knocked loose in the amplifier section. So either give it a good smack which seems to work with Sony portables, at least my crappy logic controlled Walkman, or just take it to an MD technician who knows how to fix it if you don't feel up to taking it apart yourself. If that doesn't work, try Ebay for a replacement. Good luck.

It seems like this worked.

The bass isn't that muddy anymore, I'm in the process of testing some bassy stuff, and it looks like I have my working unit back!!

Hopefully! Just to make sure it's reset, remove the battery and let the unit sit overnight. That will for sure discharge any remaining power in the unit. Good luck!

Hopefully! Just to make sure it's reset, remove the battery and let the unit sit overnight. That will for sure discharge any remaining power in the unit. Good luck!

Thanks. What I already noticed however, is that I had a Sound EQ preset to "Pop" before I removed the battery. This setting was still intact after the battery had been out overnight. Shouldn't a reset put all settings back to normal?

Thanks. What I already noticed however, is that I had a Sound EQ preset to "Pop" before I removed the battery. This setting was still intact after the battery had been out overnight. Shouldn't a reset put all settings back to normal?

It should. Not sure why it's not resetting. Sony needed to put a "reset" button somewhere just for these things. Try looking in the display menu and see if you find a reset feature? I know my the iPods have reset in the menus.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

It seems the problem keeps returning. I'm afraid there's not much t0 be done anymore about it.

Or is there anyone who has some new advice?

Yesterday I taped a gig and I just tried to transfer the recording to my hard disc using Sonicstage. It doesn't transfer the track, it just stops, whereas I can still upload from my library to the device.

Hi again,

It seems the problem keeps returning. I'm afraid there's not much t0 be done anymore about it.

Or is there anyone who has some new advice?

Yesterday I taped a gig and I just tried to transfer the recording to my hard disc using Sonicstage. It doesn't transfer the track, it just stops, whereas I can still upload from my library to the device.

It sounds like you have more mechanical issues than just sound distortion. Hopefully others can help because I don't know how to fix these units.