Are Mini Discs (Blanks) still made?

Rate this topic

kylieshotpants

Hi

I live in the uk and am having trouble locating suppliers of new blank mini-discs (regular).

Can anyone recomend stores that sell them in the uk or online stores that do mail order for bulk buying

Thanks

I'm pretty sure minidiscs are no longer being manufactured. Every minidisc I've ever boughten has been off eBay, tons of ebay stores still have brand new sealed minidiscs.

I'm pretty sure minidiscs are no longer being manufactured. Every minidisc I've ever boughten has been off eBay, tons of ebay stores still have brand new sealed minidiscs.
It might also be worth looking at amazon.co.uk. Try searching for "minidisc 80". Edited by Hungerdunger

Bluetin still has some collector standard MD's ;) .

Here in Ontario, the Sony Store still stocks (and re-stocks) blank 80 min. and Hi-Md discs. You generally have to ask for them though: they're not enough of a high-traffic item to warrant floor space.

Hi

I live in the uk and am having trouble locating suppliers of new blank mini-discs (regular).

Can anyone recomend stores that sell them in the uk or online stores that do mail order for bulk buying

Thanks

You could try: http://www.totalblankmedia.com/minidisc-c-...ca76bac7fcf418a

They have a shop in London if that's local to you.

Amazon.co.uk also have some in stock (both normal and Hi-MD).

• 2 weeks later...

This huge electronics store near me, Abt (www.abt.com), had a few Sony 80-minute 8-packs recently. When I offered to purchase what I believed to be the last of the stock, the associate told me that they still regularly receive shipments of minidiscs, although they only sell a few packs every month. So either Sony has a stockpile they're still shipping, or they're still producing them.

• 1 year later...

They've got to be still manufacturing blanks for sale in Japan. On a side note, didn't Victor or some other hardware manufacturer just make a boombox recently with MD included? (Japan only of course...)

I have seen SONY 80 minutes, SONY Professional and the SONY HiMD as well as HHD and Victor.

ProTape.com and TapeOnLine.com seem to have decent prices but the SONY 80s are back ordered a lot.

Odyssey

They've got to be still manufacturing blanks for sale in Japan. On a side note, didn't Victor or some other hardware manufacturer just make a boombox recently with MD included? (Japan only of course...)

Tascam also just released a couple of recorders. I wouldn't think they'd do that if blanks were no longer being produced.

Come to think of it, I wonder if Sony has really ceased production of the MZM-200? You can still find it on a few reputable sites that sell them out and keep getting them back in. Has anyone ever seen an official Sony announcement that they are no longer producing them?

• 1 month later...

I have seen SONY 80 minutes, SONY Professional and the SONY HiMD as well as HHD and Victor.

ProTape.com and TapeOnLine.com seem to have decent prices but the SONY 80s are back ordered a lot.

Odyssey

UPDATE:

As of a month or so ago when I last looked for Blank MiniDiscs, I found the SONY 80 min and SONY HiMD, SONY Neige, HDD and VICTOR still being produced. I have also seen some SONY Color MiniDisc blanks but am unsure if they are being produced at this time.

The big problem is Sony Underestimated the actual use of the minidisc in the US so they have limited production. Thus, now when you order blank minidiscs, you most likely are put on a back order list, minimum wait is about a month.

Makes me think this whole MiniDisc Fiasco in the US was created by bad numbers through the SONY peanut counters. It certainly isn't the product, sound quality has always been great and I can live without Sonic Stage and NOTHING offers the portability and editing abilities a minidisc does. Shame Shame Sony, didn't keep your eye on the ball.

The expensive SONY PROFESSIONAL Blank MD DISCS are being discontinued and are being sold as long as stock exists. At almost $5 a disc, I think they will be around for awhile but once supplies are sold out, there well be no more.

TasCam DID introduce a couple of MD recorders this year ( 2010 ) but I am not sure what their Blank MINIDISC source was going to be. They do not produce their own Blanks and if this equipment was intended for the professional market, I would think the expensive professional MINIDISC was the target for use in the new machines. With these discs out of production, they will have to use the "normal" quality minidiscs. End Update

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AS of a couple months ago, SONY was still shipping 80 minute discs from Japan. The suppliers were telling me the discs were still in production.

Then comes the terrible earthquake that destroyed Japan......

I talked to a supplier and he said he had no word from Japan about production but he did say that the plant was in the center of the epicenter.

How this is reading to me is,

IF the plant was not damaged, SONY MIGHT go back into production after they get the rest of the business going. who know when that will be.

IF the plant cannot get supplies to make the discs, production will be stalled, possibly indefinately.

If the plant and equipment to make the MDs was damaged, I would not expect to see production again.

There is a lot of stock in the stores yet. HOWEVER, I have noticed that some of the stores are starting to increase the prices. Obviously assuming the worst from Japan.

EBAY has MD discs but I find the sources questionable and they only take PayPal, which I have had horrid problems with.

It would be a good idea to get some stock of MD discs if you want to remain in the MD users club. It is highly possible that the source of MD discs will dry up. except for the ones that are grossly overpriced of which I hope they choke on them. Sorry, I know it is a matter of supply and demand but sometimes I think they take it too far.

Keep those MDs spinning...

Edit ( 05-24-2011 )

Well I keep reading stories of how the MiniDisc is dead and I do find some joy at all the MD users come out and counter the article and sometimes the writer as some of his reasons for the " death of MD " are off the wall. There are many articles because it seams everyone needs to put their voice in the pool, kinda like kicking a dead horse, wouldn't you say? Only it seems to me, the MD is still alive and well.

Or is it?

Alive and well because Tascam is continuing to release MD recorders for the studio and a recent update is an CD/MD recorder. Probably because the CD can continue to be used when the MD discs run out.

But I have been concerned with the MDisc availability.

I don't know for sure, but the TasCam units may have depended on the professional MD to be available for some time, as it turns out, the professional MD ( 80 min and usually about $6.00 each ) have been discontinued. Only the stock on the shelves is being sold and when that is gone, thats it for the Pro MD.

Now they might be able to use the MDW80PL, Sonys Premium GOld MD, it was still in production in Japan up untill the Earthquake and Tsunomi hit but whether they will continue production now is in the air, I don't know if the manufacturing bldg was damaged or just shut down due to lack of power or if they will even resume production on the MD media. So where will that put the TasCAM units???? They'd better have a supply of MD's stored away.

Now we are seeing the sellers raise prices of the MD's, my favorite supplier, TapeONLINE raised the price from 1.59 to 1.89 on the MDW80PL. ButI found a lower price else where but I have see prices up to $15 Each on the web.... nuts to them. They are truely taking advantage of a bad thing. Sometimes the law of supply and demand should be ignored or they might get stuck with a lot of discs.... lol

Well my thoughts

Keep those MD's spinning

• 4 weeks later...

110699056298 on ebay right now is a 5-pack for $US35, plus cheap shipping within the US. Two available at the moment.

I think the seller has em pretty regularly, but not sure on that.

Danny

Definitely a regular listing. Now 130532779694. Seller's ID is electronicsproshop.

I stocked up on 80 minute blanks a couple of years ago and I am sitting on 200+ unused blanks.

I am amazed at how the prices have risen since I did this.

Here is a great buy it now on eBay for 70 Sony Gold Blanks for $160.

Shipping is free and it works out to less than $2.30 per disk.

You should jump on it before I do! I'll do a little checking and see if I can find a few retailers I used state-side to stock up.

There were a couple of places in NYC and I also had several batches shipped over from England which was quick and very reasonable.

Minidiscs will never die trust me. I don't know why you guys are worried. Nothing can replace them so demand will always be there.

Just continue spinnin' those discs and enjoying the superior sound quality. Life's too short to be constantly worried.

Well... there are no more portable units being produced AFAIK. But I expect my stash, particularly my Standard and Net MD units to last until I am either deaf or dead, which ever comes first.

Tape online is pricing the 80 minute sony Gold at 1.95. If you think that is a good price, go for it.

TapeStockOnline is offering the 80 minute sony Gold at 1.52 each or 1.42 at 25 piece package bundle.

Tape Online used to be my source util they raised the prices of the discs. Now they can choke on them.

Keep those Minidiscs spinning.

UPDATE: 07/07/2011

Well if this is to be believed, then discs are still in production....

Keep Those MiniDiscs Spinning! WHY ELSE ARE YOU HERE?