HiMD Transfer for Linux, working

Rate this topic

cbmuser

Hi,

just to give you guys some updates. It's now possible to use the "NetMDPython" scripts on Windows as well since the required software library "libusb" has recently been released as version 1.0 on Windows.

You will find an updated howto which will include Windows as well on this web page soon:

https://wiki.physik.fu-berlin.de/linux-minidisc/doku.php?id=netmdpython

Also, as promised, I kept in contact with Sony to negotiate the public disclosure of some SonicStage internals needed to fully support NetMD/HiMD with our software. Eventually we got a reply from Sony Japan:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, we are not prepared to offer a license under any Sony intellectual property rights to re-implement some of the HiMD functionality of SonicStage onto Linux. Please be advised that our message does not mean Sony is prohibiting someone to develop the HiMD functionality of Linux by using public information as long as there is no infringement of any intellectual property rights of Sony nor contractual breach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, we have two possibilities which I will certainly both seize. On one hand, we can modify the software such that the necessary secret keys will be provided by the user manually _after_ installation. Thus, you install the software and then open a preferences panel where you enter the key which you will get from an unofficial source. It's just a matter of not publicly distributing the keys together with our software to stay on the legal side.

The other possibility is, of course, continue with the negotiations and try to contact Sony Japan directly without a "relay" at Sony USA.

Will let you guys know. Also, I will get the updated instructions and freshly build version for all operating systems online ASAP.

PS: Anyone here can help with a Dutch translation? That is, someone here who speaks Dutch and who is willing to translate some text from English into Dutch? You will be credited, of course. I'm unfortunately still waiting for our Spanish translation which should be in the making ...

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

just to give you guys some updates. It's now possible to use the "NetMDPython" scripts on Windows as well since the required software library "libusb" has recently been released as version 1.0 on Windows.

You will find an updated howto which will include Windows as well on this web page soon:

Also, as promised, I kept in contact with Sony to negotiate the public disclosure of some SonicStage internals needed to fully support NetMD/HiMD with our software. Eventually we got a reply from Sony Japan:

Unfortunately, we are not prepared to offer a license under any Sony intellectual property rights to re-implement some of the HiMD functionality of SonicStage onto Linux. Please be advised that our message does not mean Sony is prohibiting someone to develop the HiMD functionality of Linux by using public information as long as there is no infringement of any intellectual property rights of Sony nor contractual breach.

So, we have two possibilities which I will certainly both seize. On one hand, we can modify the software such that the necessary secret keys will be provided by the user manually _after_ installation. Thus, you install the software and then open a preferences panel where you enter the key which you will get from an unofficial source. It's just a matter of not publicly distributing the keys together with our software to stay on the legal side.

The other possibility is, of course, continue with the negotiations and try to contact Sony Japan directly without a "relay" at Sony USA.

Will let you guys know. Also, I will get the updated instructions and freshly build version for all operating systems online ASAP.

PS: Anyone here can help with a Dutch translation? That is, someone here who speaks Dutch and who is willing to translate some text from English into Dutch? You will be credited, of course. I'm unfortunately still waiting for our Spanish translation which should be in the making ...

Adrian

Send you a PM. Would be nice to get in touch.

• 1 month later...

i was just checking back. any new information about sp downloads. i am really looking forward to using it.

Yes, it does indeed work on Windows now as well, you have to follow these instructions:

This is a bit experimental though since we haven't finished yet integrating the NetMD stuff into QHiMDTransfer. We're currently working on implementing functions such as formatting HiMDs and allowing external keyfiles to unlock QHiMDTransfer for all HiMD devices without the need of an unofficial version which we cannot distribute over the website.

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Any updates on the project or when the windows version of the software is going to be ready?

First of all, I would like to invite everybody interested to join our mailing list [1]. I periodically post updates on updates on the software and everything related to the project and MiniDisc with free software.

For your questions:

1. The software is available on Windows as well as it is available on Linux and MacOS. The software has the same capabilities. But I assume that you refer to NetMD downloads on Windows which can be performed with the PythonNetMD scripts so far. I understand that most (Windows) users actually prefer an easy-to-use GUI but no-one has written a GUI for the scripts yet. Please understand that our time is limited as well and I am actually supposed to do Physics at my PhD position.

We have someone who is actually working on making the NetMD stuff more user friendly but I haven't heard from him for a while.

2. There actually very good news for everybody with lots of ATRAC3/3+ .oma samples on their computers, and especially for those, who lost access to these encrypted files due to a computer crash or Windows reinstallation. We have found a solution to decrypt ALL oma files with a generic master key obtained through reverse engineering of SonicStage. Together with a simple decryptor code and this master key, we can unscramble all oma files. And since ffmpeg/VLC already has support for ATRAC-SP and ATRAC3 (with ATRAC3+ being work-in-progress), you will be able to playback ALL your oma files in VLC in near future. We're currently discussing with the VideoLAN developers (the people behind VLC) on how to integrate the decryptor into the demuxer of VLC.

Please join our mailing list to stay updated.

Adrian

[1] https://lists.fu-berlin.de/listinfo/linux-minidisc

ATRAC support in VLC! That would be awesome indeed! Keep on the good work, so far outstanding.

VLC actually already supports both ATRAC-SP and ATRAC3. It is, up to now, still missing an ATRAC3+ decoder and a decryptor for the oma files.

The decoder is work-in-progress and almost finished. I have seen the code and it looks very promising. It still needs some final polishing and then will be part of ffmpeg and thus VLC soon. I expect a release in the summer.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

for the people interested, there is a tool which allows you to recover your old SonicStage music library after a Windows re-installation or computer crash. It requires that you have a backup of the files in the directory "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG". If you still have these from your old Windows installation and you have a collection of .oma files which you cannot access anymore due to a corrupt SonicStage installation and the fact that files are encrypted, then this tool will allow you to decrypt these files again. It comes with a readme file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/444508273/openmg_20110125.zip

This tool was not written by me but I compiled it and provided a readme. I simply provide the link to allow people to restore their encrypted SonicStage music library with .oma files (PCM and ATRAC3/3+).

For all people who do not have a backup of the files in the aforementiond OpenMG directory anymore, you might be happy to hear that VLC is going to be able to playback such encrypted files in near future. Coming in late summer 2011, VLC will feature an ATRAC3+ decoder plus a decryptor for the .oma files.

Adrian

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i would love to have something like this but have it be able for me to drop flac files directly onto sonic stage automaticly convert them to .wav so sonic stage could read them.

Well, integrating such functionality is possible and planned for version 2.x. It can be realized through ffmpeg, which allows to convert from everything to almost everything when it comes to formats. I doubt though, that it can be done for Sonic Stage.

Adrian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

we have two important announcements these days, one is regarding write support in libhimd and the other regarding a Google Summer of Code project regarding the MiniDisc, ATRAC and VLC player. Both announcements can be read in our mailing list archives. Please follow these links.

1. https://lists.fu-berlin.de/pipermail/linux-minidisc/2011-March/msg00002.html

2. https://lists.fu-berlin.de/pipermail/linux-minidisc/2011-March/msg00000.html

Looking forward to your feedback and we will hopefully find a student to work on VLC for us and the rest of the community. Google pays well =).

Greetings from Norway,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

new updates:

We found a student who is going to work to finish the ATRAC3+ decoder for VLC and also integrate a decryptor for all .oma files. If things go well, VLC will be able to playback all ATRAC1/3/3+ audio, no matter if encrypted or not, by the end of this summer.

We, as a project, have also applied for Google Summer of Code 2011. Unfortunately we haven't, again, been chosen this year. However, the VideoLAN guys are thinking of supporting us and transferring one of their GSoC to help us make some progress.

The write support for HiMD has been implemented but is still very buggy, meaning, that it can transfer tracks onto the HiMD already. However, the tracks cannot yet be played back on the HiMD device. We already tracked down some of the problems, see the thread here [1].

Adrian

[1] https://lists.fu-berlin.de/pipermail/linux-minidisc/2011-March/msg00002.html

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently started following this thread Adrian (and all others involved), but allow me to add my voice to those who have expressed their Thanks and Appreciation for you spearheading this project. The work you have done is simply amazing, and it will hopefully go a long way to continuing the life of an amazing product!

Thanks!

i was just checking back in. has there been any progress with the true sp download. i still cant wait to try it...

Please join the list. It's a bit tedious to post all the news twice, it's much easier when people interested are just following us directly ;).

https://lists.fu-berlin.de/listinfo/linux-minidisc

Latest news: https://lists.fu-berlin.de/pipermail/linux-minidisc/2011-April/msg00002.html

Thanks,

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

as some of you guys may have already heard, this year's Google Summer of Code has begun as of today and we're participating through VideoLAN (the makers of VLC) who were so kind to assign one of their students to us to work on the NetMD code. The other student is working on finalizing support for ATRAC3+ for VLC/ffmpeg including a generic OMA decryptor which will allow ALL ATRAC/PCM files saved in the oma format be decrypted and played back by VLC/ffmpeg. A very first status update has just been posted by this student on the mailing list "vlc-devel" and can be found here:

http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2011-May/080430.html

The general timeline for GSoC can be found here:

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

I will keep you updated,

Adrian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hi i havent checked this for a while. can we download true sp to net-md units yet? thanks.

The development has started in June and is still work-in-progress. You can track the changes at our student's source code repository here:

https://github.com/AlexanderS/linux-minidisc

Unfortunately, our student hasn't done any work recently and I currently cannot get into contact with him, so things will be delayed further, sorry :(.

Adrian

No, you won't. There's no hardware support for it.

That is not correct.

I have already said that we already have performed SP downloads and it works. You can just take any Linux or MacOS computer, install Python and our python-netmd package and easily download tracks in SP. All NetMD hardware does support SP downloads, it's just SonicStage which deliberately transcodes everything into LP2/LP4 to not give the user SP downloads.

There is a checkbox in SonicStage which you can tick which will create MiniDiscs compatible with non-LP devices which actually generates SP downloads, however with a low quality by converting the tracks into LP2/LP4 first, then converting them back into PCM and then sending them to the NetMD device. All NetMD devices can create ATRAC SP from PCM data.

The task of the Google Summer of Code student was to make the whole thing easier to use and compatible with Windows. I didn't say that it will never happen now, it just got postponed.

Please don't panic. Things like these happen.

Adrian

Hello guys,

finally some very good news from our Google Summer of Code students projects: Both students appear to have passed their tasks (it's not yet official) and have therefore achieved the planned goals. I will shortly inform you about the status of each project now.

1. Updating libnetmd

The first student had the task to revive the abandoned project "libnetmd" and extend its functionality with transfer capabilities (up- and downloads) with the help of our documentation and our Python NetMD code.

The idea behind this project was to provide an easy-to-use NetMD library which can be integrated into QHiMDTransfer and other software (like VLC, for example) to extend these applications with the capability to connect to NetMD devices. The advantage over our previous method of using Python scripts is that libnetmd does not require the installation of any additional software (like Python) except for a special USB driver for libusb. After integration into QHiMDTransfer, all NetMD devices can be accessed from a simple and neat graphical user interface. Both uploads (transfer from the device, MZ-RH1/M200 only) and downloads (transfer to the device, all NetMD devices) are available. Since all NetMD devices can encode SP audio on the fly, SP downloads are available as well. The input files have to be in PCM (WAV) format. There are no software SP encoders available as of today, decoding in VLC is supported however (for uploads made with the MZ-RH1/M200).

The libnetmd code is not yet merged into our mainline code or QHiMDTransfer, but it is ready and will be worked on in the following weeks. You can expect updated versions of QHiMDTransfer in 1-2 months.

The source code of the newly updated libnetmd version can currently be accessed here: https://github.com/AlexanderS/linux-minidisc

2. ffmpeg OMA/ATRAC improvements

The goal of this task was two-fold. First task was to extend VLC with the capability to playback encrypted .oma audio files generated by SonicStage. The motivation behind this is the common problem many users of SonicStage experienced: The have a large library of audio files in SonicStage and then have to reinstall their computer for some reason or move the audio files to another computer. Since the audio files are encrypted with a dynamic key created by the installed instance of SonicStage, it is not possible to playback these files without the help of the installed version of SonicStage with a specific set of keys.

Fortunately, Sony included a back door in this encryption scheme for .oma files which allows ALL .oma files to be decrypted using a known master key. Knowing this ability, we had the idea to integrate a decryption functionality into VLC and ffmpeg which was then eventually performed by the second student. After having been seriously sick for several weeks, the student finally managed to finish the decryption code. After being reviewed and polished, we can expect this decryption code to be part of one of the next releases of VLC.

The decryption function has one minor disadvantage. Due to copyright reasons, it would be illegal to include the secret master key for the .oma files into VLC. This means, that VLC will not be able to decrypt .oma files by default unless a key is provided. However, this key merely consists of a series of alpha-numerical characters and will leak into the interwebs once the appropriate version of VLC has been released. It is also possible to build a "dirty" version of VLC which will already include the keys in the source code. We're thinking of distributing this version through Rapidshare (links will follow).

The code changes introducing the OMA decryptor can be found here: https://github.com/plumbojumbo/FFmpeg/commit/4d63745d422f73f8bf7c1afa42db0b0e957e633f

The second part of the task was to finish the ATRAC3+ decoder in VLC/ffmpeg. Up to now, only ATRAC1 and ATRAC3 decoding is supported, while ATRAC3+ is still being work-in-progess. Since most HiMD devices store audio tracks in ATRAC3+ by default, it would be very important to have a working ATRAC3+ decoder in VLC/ffmpeg as well.

Since the Google Summer of Code is almost over and the student didn't manage to work on the ATRAC3+ decoder, the task will be to work on the ATRAC3+ now. The student himself has shown interest and is willing to work on the ATRAC3+ decoder. However, since this is not covered by Google Summer of Code anymore, he will be working without getting paid.

So I was thinking that we might start collecting some money and donate any amount to reward the student for his work. Donations could easily be carried out through PayPal, so I will suggest him to create a PayPal account unless someone here has a better idea. In any case, I think it would be nice to support the student financially and I will jump in with 20 Euros.

So, as you guys see, this years Google Summer of Code brought a lot of progress to the MiniDisc world and if things work out well, we will have a full, free replacement of SonicStage and playback capability for ATRAC1/3/3+, even if encrypted on ALL platforms (Windows, MacOS, Linux, *BSD and so on).

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

finally some very good news from our Google Summer of Code students projects: Both students appear to have passed their tasks (it's not yet official) and have therefore achieved the planned goals. I will shortly inform you about the status of each project now.

1. Updating libnetmd

The first student had the task to revive the abandoned project "libnetmd" and extend its functionality with transfer capabilities (up- and downloads) with the help of our documentation and our Python NetMD code.

The idea behind this project was to provide an easy-to-use NetMD library which can be integrated into QHiMDTransfer and other software (like VLC, for example) to extend these applications with the capability to connect to NetMD devices. The advantage over our previous method of using Python scripts is that libnetmd does not require the installation of any additional software (like Python) except for a special USB driver for libusb. After integration into QHiMDTransfer, all NetMD devices can be accessed from a simple and neat graphical user interface. Both uploads (transfer from the device, MZ-RH1/M200 only) and downloads (transfer to the device, all NetMD devices) are available. Since all NetMD devices can encode SP audio on the fly, SP downloads are available as well. The input files have to be in PCM (WAV) format. There are no software SP encoders available as of today, decoding in VLC is supported however (for uploads made with the MZ-RH1/M200).

The libnetmd code is not yet merged into our mainline code or QHiMDTransfer, but it is ready and will be worked on in the following weeks. You can expect updated versions of QHiMDTransfer in 1-2 months.

The source code of the newly updated libnetmd version can currently be accessed here: https://github.com/AlexanderS/linux-minidisc

2. ffmpeg OMA/ATRAC improvements

The goal of this task was two-fold. First task was to extend VLC with the capability to playback encrypted .oma audio files generated by SonicStage. The motivation behind this is the common problem many users of SonicStage experienced: The have a large library of audio files in SonicStage and then have to reinstall their computer for some reason or move the audio files to another computer. Since the audio files are encrypted with a dynamic key created by the installed instance of SonicStage, it is not possible to playback these files without the help of the installed version of SonicStage with a specific set of keys.

Fortunately, Sony included a back door in this encryption scheme for .oma files which allows ALL .oma files to be decrypted using a known master key. Knowing this ability, we had the idea to integrate a decryption functionality into VLC and ffmpeg which was then eventually performed by the second student. After having been seriously sick for several weeks, the student finally managed to finish the decryption code. After being reviewed and polished, we can expect this decryption code to be part of one of the next releases of VLC.

The decryption function has one minor disadvantage. Due to copyright reasons, it would be illegal to include the secret master key for the .oma files into VLC. This means, that VLC will not be able to decrypt .oma files by default unless a key is provided. However, this key merely consists of a series of alpha-numerical characters and will leak into the interwebs once the appropriate version of VLC has been released. It is also possible to build a "dirty" version of VLC which will already include the keys in the source code. We're thinking of distributing this version through Rapidshare (links will follow).

The code changes introducing the OMA decryptor can be found here: https://github.com/plumbojumbo/FFmpeg/commit/4d63745d422f73f8bf7c1afa42db0b0e957e633f

The second part of the task was to finish the ATRAC3+ decoder in VLC/ffmpeg. Up to now, only ATRAC1 and ATRAC3 decoding is supported, while ATRAC3+ is still being work-in-progess. Since most HiMD devices store audio tracks in ATRAC3+ by default, it would be very important to have a working ATRAC3+ decoder in VLC/ffmpeg as well.

Since the Google Summer of Code is almost over and the student didn't manage to work on the ATRAC3+ decoder, the task will be to work on the ATRAC3+ now. The student himself has shown interest and is willing to work on the ATRAC3+ decoder. However, since this is not covered by Google Summer of Code anymore, he will be working without getting paid.

So I was thinking that we might start collecting some money and donate any amount to reward the student for his work. Donations could easily be carried out through PayPal, so I will suggest him to create a PayPal account unless someone here has a better idea. In any case, I think it would be nice to support the student financially and I will jump in with 20 Euros.

So, as you guys see, this years Google Summer of Code brought a lot of progress to the MiniDisc world and if things work out well, we will have a full, free replacement of SonicStage and playback capability for ATRAC1/3/3+, even if encrypted on ALL platforms (Windows, MacOS, Linux, *BSD and so on).

Adrian

wow ! this is really great news! i am very excited to have true sp downlaods with track titles! as soon as it is finished i will be more than happy to make a donation...

Hi,

for anyone who wants to try it out, here is a preview version of VLC and ffmpeg with the integrated decryptor.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1586631008/vlc-1.2.0-git-win32.zip

https://rapidshare.com/files/76562274/ffmpeg_win32.zip

These versions of VLC and ffmpeg should be able to playback ALL encrypted .oma files (PCM, ATRAC-SP, ATRAC3), no matter whether SonicStage is installed or not. ATRAC3+ are not YET supported, as the source code for the decoder hasn't been finished yet.

But anyone who has unplayable .oma files lying around on their hard drives should try this out.

Adrian

Hi,

Thanks for keeping this alive..I have a few pcm recordings made thru optical out using rh1..My PC conked out and and I had to assemble another..Have not been able to play these files.

I downladed these 2 files. I opened one pcm .oma in vlc and it just closed. When I clicked again, it reported that it had crashed. I am not sure how to use the ffmpg files..

Please let me know if am doing anything incorrect...

My o/s is win7 home premium 64-bit.Sonicstage 4.3 is also installed..

Thanks

Hi,

for anyone who wants to try it out, here is a preview version of VLC and ffmpeg with the integrated decryptor.

https://rapidshare.com/files/1586631008/vlc-1.2.0-git-win32.zip

https://rapidshare.com/files/76562274/ffmpeg_win32.zip

These versions of VLC and ffmpeg should be able to playback ALL encrypted .oma files (PCM, ATRAC-SP, ATRAC3), no matter whether SonicStage is installed or not. ATRAC3+ are not YET supported, as the source code for the decoder hasn't been finished yet.

But anyone who has unplayable .oma files lying around on their hard drives should try this out.

Adrian

Thanks for keeping this alive..I have a few pcm recordings made thru optical out using rh1..My PC conked out and and I had to assemble another..Have not been able to play these files.

I downladed these 2 files. I opened one pcm .oma in vlc and it just closed. When I clicked again, it reported that it had crashed. I am not sure how to use the ffmpg files..

Please let me know if am doing anything incorrect...

My o/s is win7 home premium 64-bit.Sonicstage 4.3 is also installed..

It's probably missing some DLL files. As I said, this is just an early test version. To fix the problem, you can try the following:

1. Download the current nighly build of VLC for Windows and install it.

http://nightly.videolan.org/build/win32/last/

2. Replace the installed files in the VLC program folder with the one from the ZIP archive supplied above.

I will try to reproduce the problem myself.

EDIT: I just tried running that VLC version I linked on Windows 2003 Server and it worked fine. Do you get any specific error message?

EDIT2: Ok, I should have read more carefully. You said, that it actually crashed upon opening one of your files. I cannot test that at the moment since I don't have any sample files right now. But you may still try the above suggestion and also check if you get any error messages.

ffmpeg has to be run from the command line, it doesn't have any GUI.

Adrian

It's probably missing some DLL files. As I said, this is just an early test version. To fix the problem, you can try the following:

1. Download the current nighly build of VLC for Windows and install it.

http://nightly.videolan.org/build/win32/last/

Did that. It (VLC) runs fine. Tried both ways, installing the zip file, and running the installer.

2. Replace the installed files in the VLC program folder with the one from the ZIP archive supplied above.

There are no .exe files anywhere in either tree (the one from the install, or the one from unzipping the ZIP archive), so I cannot replace them.

ffmpeg has to be run from the command line, it doesn't have any GUI.

I put the .exe files in the same directory as VLC. I also tried putting them in the plugins directory (where most of the dlls from VLC seem to be located).

I used the command line. I put test.oma in the same directory as vlc.exe. I also put test.oma in the same place as each of the copies of ffmpeg.exe. I typed "ffmpeg test.oma" (twice, once in each place that ffmpeg.exe is located).

Then I ran the new version of VLC (which plays .avi files just fine) and opened test.oma with the F(ile menu. (I checked with a DRM-ed test.oma, and also with a non-DRMed file that plays fine in Windows Media Player on the same machine).

As in the great computer game Adventure: "Nothing happens". In any of the 4 cases. I got **no error** complaining about missing DLL. I confirm nvee's experience exactly. nvee: did you notice that this is a win32 application and you are running win64? I doubt that is a problem, since W64 seems to be moderately clever about running 32-bit applications - but you might need the w64 version of VLC, if it exists.

I suspect that there's something missing from the instructions. We look forward to hearing about this when you've actually tried it yourself, Adrian. I can send you a random .oma file if you like.

Finally I went back and ran the install again this time turning on file association for .oma (only). I double clicked test.oma. VLC fires up but just as when opening by hand, no luck.

I wonder if there is some windows component that needs to be tweaked?

I can now report that the problem has in a partial manner been fixed. I contacted privately a member of the team and found that last night a patch to ffmpeg (converter) and ffplay (player) has been made so that they actually run. You will see this when you try them out, instead of the command line being empty, the program will output something even if there is no parameter (file name).

BE AWARE this only plays MDLP (LP2 132kbps, LP3 105kbps and LP4 66kbps) .oma files. No Atrac3+ decoder, so no HiSP etc. yet.

Here's how you use it:

(at a windows command prompt, with the file test.oma in the same directory as the 4 .exe files you will get, see below)

c:\test>ffplay test.oma

or

c:\test>ffmpeg -i test.oma -acodec pcm_s16le output.wav

(this produces a standard wave file called "output.wav").

I cannot speak about Mac or Linux, since these are definitely .EXE files. The VLC referred to is being fixed, and hopefully will be posted shortly. We may eventually host it in our downloads area.

Here's the original discussion, there's a link to the executables on rapidshare in the thread somewhere. You may have to get busy with your translators :)

http://www.minidiscforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18579&start=780#p249385

This is pretty huge, guys. I had no part in this development whatever, other than as your humble scribe.

Stephen

Hi..

I just tried it out from the link...no output..but mine is a lpcm recording through rh1..and I guess it is not support yet...

win7 x64 handles 32-bit very nicely..have had no issues so far...additionally I have tried it out with xp pro sp3 32-bit with the same result...

vlc plays every other media which I have in the system...

Guess I will wait..until the compatibility is put in..

tnx..

I just tried it out from the link...no output..but mine is a lpcm recording through rh1..and I guess it is not support yet...

Correct. But "not supported" does not necessarily mean "does not work". Also it's not clear to me that VLC integration is done (although there is an ".oma" checkbox in its file associations already). I never heard more about that aspect of it.

ffplay and ffmpeg should at least give output to the screen. Did you follow the new link properly?

Yes..I translated using google translate and took this lnk https://rapidshare.com/files/2819124496/ffmpeg-0.8.2-git-plumbojumbo-a56847a.zip

no output when I tried ffplay or ffmeg..

Correct. But "not supported" does not necessarily mean "does not work". Also it's not clear to me that VLC integration is done (although there is an ".oma" checkbox in its file associations already). I never heard more about that aspect of it.

ffplay and ffmpeg should at least give output to the screen. Did you follow the new link properly?

That's weird.

Did you go to the command prompt, prefix yourself to the folder containing them and simply type "ffplay" (or "ffmpeg")?

With the first (original linked) version I got nothing. With the second (the one you downloaded) I always get some text with a version number. This is irrespective of whether I even try to feed it any audio.

I went to the command prompt, changed to the folder to where the files were located. I also put in the drmed pcm oma file on the same location and exactly typed the command given by you earlier..I get no result...it just comes back to the command prompt..

I have tried it in both win7x64 and winxp pro 32-bit

If there was an error on the using the ff..commands, I would get the "...not recognized as internal or external command..." from the os..