Recording with the NH600 (microphone input)

Rate this topic

Anthea

Heya,

I just wanted to make sure I had this right as I'm a tad paranoid! I'm using a HiMD MZ-NH600 to record some interviews. I wanted to disable the function that places track markers when 'noise' starts after a few seconds of silence, however this doesn't seem to be possible? Do I just need to delete the markers to create a continuous track? What I gather is that they're silent markers that don't interfere with the transition from one track to another. I don't know if that made sense, what I was trying to say is, if I do join the tracks up, will there be a noticeable 'join'? Or can I set the low level trigger lower? I heard mention that it was possible to partially disable it with T-marking?

I apologise if these questions have already been answered, I read around (the manual, other sites, this forum) and just wanted to confirm I had it all correct. It only matters because we are synching the audio to video footage, so it would be nice if the track information matched up, makes editing easier in post!

Thank you for your help.

I don't understand, Anthea. The NH600 doesn't have a microphone input. Have you got it working already? If so, then presumably you are using a microphone with some sort of preamp to deliver "line" levels to the 600.

Yes, to join up tracks, put the unit in paused play, and hit FF or RW (let go immediately, don't hold it there or it will scan very fast through the sound) as many times as you want to skip track marks until you get to the mark you want to delete. The display should say "MARK". When you press the mark button it will say MARK OFF. Joining up two tracks is completely seamless, or should be.

The timed track markers are one thing, every 10 minutes or whatever you set it to. I think you have to turn them on every time on most or all models before the RH1.

Synch recording is another choice, independent of timed marks. Whenever it stops (due to silence), it will make a track mark. This is done by selecting the TYPE of recording to SYNCH REC on the 600. I don't think the NH600 has the ability to change the synch trigger level, I've only seen that on the MD decks (like JE520).

According to the manual (p.31) "Synchro-recording is only possible with the optical cable connected". If you know that's inaccurate I'd be glad to hear about it.

Maybe OP is getting mike signal converted to optical somehow? Some units (earlier portables possibly all pre-MDLP, and most decks) have ways of turning on SYNC relatively easily. For the NH600 it's a menu option under "REC Set", a little harder to find.