MD2 project meeting

Rate this topic

KHA

Hello everybody,

I really hope not to recreate any topic done on this subject, or how to imagine the next Mini-Disc.

The context (pure fiction)

2009, Sony is not leading anymore in the audio device market. Despite huge efforts, the new MP3 players devices are being sold, but as much as sony is expecting.

Sony wants to get back its strengh by proposing a new support. The president wants to put back Sony as leader in audio technology. The Administration council is expecting an increase of 11% in profits next year, so the solution has to be sold.

The Senior vice president of the audio technology department is considering all solutions, and has made several groups to consider all solutions:

• A group is thinking on using the Disc support as base of a new format.

• A group is thinking about a new audio compression format.

• The last group is composed of people thinking about the possibility of a new MD like approach, the group is called MD 2 live

Today, you are joining this group, right here in this forum.

Few rules:

You don't have to build a format similar to the MD, but the concept of a phisical support and the idea of audio quality superior to classic MP3 is a requirement

Be professionnal, the vice president is not waiting for some sci-fi ideas, but a real new viable technology based on old MD concepts (see point one)

You can see the MD 2 Live project from several aspects, including the marketing, technology , culture, consumers uses, costs...

No idea is stupid. Just be realistic and avoid proposing a solution which may work only for MD fans.

Here, we are talking about beating MP3 players, beating APPLE...

We can get to the conclusion that there are no solutions > at least we had tried and better understood the consumer for next products...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, hello guys, i start first then.

I think that we won't stay in the meeting room for long.

From a consumer uses aspects, the creation of a Phisical support based technology is really hard to sell.

Why should i lose time in recording in a MD2 when i can just transfert huge ammounts in my MP3 player.

I mean, we speak about classic consumers here, and they don't see the life like MD's fans do...

Ok, the idea then would be to propose a solution even more convenient than the MP3 player.

I don't know if even a MD2 with 300 gigas memory capacity would be a solution...

Do we know if the usages of MP3 are changing?

Compared to 5 years ago, maybe more people are considering higher compression rates as the storage spaces are bigger and the internet connections are faster.

What is the biggest capacity of an I-Pod today? Take this number and definite it for one blank Minidisc 2 capacity... then, we may have our chances...

Sorry, i am losing myself into theories, but i think there are not that many solutions:

- We can go on the way of competitors, propose a MD2 player, with easy USB music transfert, large compatibilities...

- We can go on a MD2 focusing on the quality of music, and proposing something really differant from today...

The problem is... Today, quality sound is not the priority anymore. People may tell you "i am expecting from a MP3 player a good sound quality", but actually, they download poor compression MP3 songs on the net...

So what can we do? Propose something similar and try to beat them on marketing? It won't work i think...

What about focusing on marketing about > find back the HI-FI quality... buy sony or something... well... i don't think so...

Ah! Coffee is coming! Who else what to join the meeting?

Edited by kha