Hi-MD data Drive?

Rate this topic

zahne

Never heard of that, but for what i can sum up from that, you could call it an Hi-MD Burner of sort (or a memory card/swappable hdd etc, depends what you want to call it), something similiar to the MD Data format back in the early '90's, only now in Hi-MD & Re-Formated MD's...

But why buy that when the normal Hi-MD player can do the same is beyond me, probably tried to extend the userbase?

Yeah it didn't seem like that great of a deal. It should be added to the equipment list though! Is there a MiniDisc Wiki? That might be easier to navigate and it's demanding on the moderators to be the only one's who can add or edit info. I'd be up for starting one if anyone's interested in pitching in!

It was limited to the Japanese domestic market, and is pretty lame in any case: can't act as an audio player, and is USB 1.1 only.

The RH1 is a much better deal, with USB 2.0, digital optical, analogue line and microphone inputs, memory of the manual recording settings, MDLP and Hi-MD upload and download to PC, Apple Macintosh compatible in Hi-MD mode, 5V DC input via standard mini-USB...

Correction Wiz , I have one , it works fine on my Mac ( after I format the disc in the RH1 ) and it works at USB2.0 when I do so . I tried it with a disc formated in an NH1 and it wouldnt work at all in the Mac , but if I first Format or Use the disc in the RH1 , I can then Upload , Download , DATA , MP3 , WAV whatever .

not Lame at ALL ........... I use LAME for MP3 encoding with Audacity !!!!! :D

Hi guitarfxr.

Will the data drive upload old SP recording as rh1 does?

Well , I dont have Windows , so I cant answer that. But it might , I would ask Bland 1000 that , I think he has one as well .

Isn't it strictly a HiMD device? No functionality other than acting as a data drive?

That would be correct , at Least on the Mac that is the way it behaves . but that is of great value , saving the wear and tear on your main unit .

I don't think that this drive can upload SP recordings. To do this, you need the NETMD052.sys driver, but this driver only works with the RH1/M200 (it is only installed for devices with the VID_054C&PID_0286 PnP identifier).

Well Avrin as I had mentioned , the Data Drive gets recognized as an RH1 when you first use the Blank in an RH1 , the RH1 itself embeds a header file with its ID I believe . I tried several other Md's from different units , and only when I used the RH1 the Data Drive would work on the Mac . A couple things to consider .

Well Avrin as I had mentioned , the Data Drive gets recognized as an RH1 when you first use the Blank in an RH1 , the RH1 itself embeds a header file with its ID I believe . I tried several other Md's from different units , and only when I used the RH1 the Data Drive would work on the Mac . A couple things to consider .

hm, if you're certain about everything: why not forward to the libhimd project?

• 2 weeks later...

Some pix

post-104714-0-18927500-1298939443_thumb.

msg-101758-0-38782900-1299334452_thumb.j

This was a PCM File recorded Optically to the RH1 , from My DVD player , using the MD Saver Pro , SCMS Bypass interface , Optical in to the MD SaverPro

Optical out to the RH1 ...>>>>> To the Hi MD Data drive ( Pictured ) and the File is shown ready to transfer to the Mac or Edit the Name , Whatever .

The Data Drive works Just fine ....!

Some extra pix and a surprise .

post-45086-0-81939300-1299443340_thumb.j

post-45086-0-26522200-1299443364_thumb.j

msg-119791-0-27293100-1299549007_thumb.j

Mac -->> Md MP3 transfer

This time I just took a blank 80 Minute Sony MD , not formating in the RH1 , just took it out of the shrink wrap , stuck it in the drive to see what would happen , BAM it was recognized as a 300 MB HiMd disc ..... so apparently , the Data Drive OR the HI MD Transfer holds the ID of the previous device .

Th Data drive automatically formatted the disc , if you look in the pix at the Bottom of the Transfer window , look at the Capacity .

This was a Purple Sony 80 Color disc !!!!

the 160 mb MP3 file took about 4.5 minutes total , whereas WAV goes a little faster , uploads are just fine

-_- TC, that is normal, MP3 to MD is part of Hi-MD Transfer for Mac's features...

OK, with RH1 ... but also normal with DS-HMD1?

edit: OK, found official description ...

* MZ-DH10P/MZ-RH10/MZ-RH910/MZ-RH710

1. You can download MP3 format audio data from a Macintosh computer to a Hi-MD Walkman.(3)

2. You can change a track or group title in a Hi-MD disc, and change the order of tracks or groups.

3. You can erase the tracks or groups in a Hi-MD disc.

(3) If an audio data downloaded from this software is used on SonicStage, some functions such as transfer times or CD burning may be limited.

Yes but I am talking about as the pics show , Transfering MP3 with the HiMD DATA drive , which is NOT in its description , it isnt even supposed to work on a Mac , But it does IF you first use a Disc that has been done in the RH1 , then the Mac MD Transfer assumes that it IS an RH1 thereafter . Cool huh !

Well, no. The reason that only MZ-M200/MZ-RH1 made recordings can be transfered is that only these are unencrypted. If you use "himdtest" from the libhimd-suite, you can list the tracks on the HiMD and see that their keys are all zero (except for the ATRAC3-tracks maybe). In any case, the Mac-Software does not have OpenMG built in and thus it can only upload those tracks which are not encrypted.

Adrian

Well, no. The reason that only MZ-M200/MZ-RH1 made recordings can be transfered is that only these are unencrypted. If you use "himdtest" from the libhimd-suite, you can list the tracks on the HiMD and see that their keys are all zero (except for the ATRAC3-tracks maybe). In any case, the Mac-Software does not have OpenMG built in and thus it can only upload those tracks which are not encrypted.

Adrian

Actually I have Toys , which will let me Upload Encrypted tracks , By removing the Encryption during recording .