4 track tape recorder + MD =?

Rate this topic

Hi. I 'm new to this forum, potentially to be new to MD, and I have what may be "newbie" question.

I have a 4-track recorder that I use to record the music I write. I was wondering if it would sound okay, or even interesting to use a MD to record a mix of tracks off of the tape deck, and then re-record the mix off of the MD back onto one of the tracks and use the other 3, now free, tracks of tape to dub more music over top? Is this a preposterous idea?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Sam

They used to do this even back in the analog days.

But I don't see why you would want to bother with Minidisc now when you can get a flash recorder (Zoom, Tascam) for $200 that will make a lossless recording and upload it without the annoyance of SonicStage.

I have an old Tascam 246 that gets a better sound than any digital recorder ( and as all you guys know , I have HAD all the digi corders !!!)

current rig

Tascam 246

Sony MDMX4

Yamaha MD4X

Presonus Stereo Blue Tube Mic pre

My Home built Mic pre's

Yamaha R100 Reverb

Kawai R4 ( love that thing )

2 x Sony 23F3 condenser mics

2 x Sony 23F ( the first series ) with 8 db pab switches , and Low cutoff)

Marshal JTM30 Amp

Vox Dual OD Tube footpedal preamp

That is just for the Multitracking , Master on the Mac or if the mix is good enough, straight to the RH1 ( which can still be mastered on the Mac)

Edited by Guitarfxr

My dilemma is that for the most part I have recorded digitally. But for the first time ever, a piece of equipment went kaput on me. That was my audio line to USB interface. I am poor, and can't replace it for a while. Unless, people have a recommendation for a cheap replacement. Something I don't know about?

I want to keep recording, and I have tinkered occasionally on my 4 track, but the idea of recording this little project of mine on 4 track has me all excited. However, I really having like having a lot of tracks.

I know I can get cheap MD recorders on craigslist, and I figured I could bounce the tracks that way, if it sounded okay to you folks. (I have used MD to record a couple things--- my Dad is a radio news guy and loves taking them to do interviews and swears by them)

Is there a better way to bounce tracks? I am avoiding tape to tape because I don't want to double up the hiss. I've heard VHS works well, but that seems like a huge waste of space... I don't even have a VCR let alone know where I could pick up blank VHS.

Any recommendations?

Sam

I know I can get cheap MD recorders on craigslist, and I figured I could bounce the tracks that way,

The only MD recorders that upload to your computer are Hi-MD units, with NH or RH in the number. (The best are NH700, NHF800 and RH1). Other MD recorders will not upload to your computer--the only way to get the music off the disc is by recording in realtime from the headphone jack.That's why they're cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Also for 4 track Tape decks , The inputs are usually a little noisy , especially the lower end models , But I have a Preamp that I build just for solving that problem .

In the" Live Recording " section of the Main Forum page follow that to the "Stereo XLR Mic pre for Md " by me , makes a nice addition to a 4 track .

Edited by Guitarfxr