Hi-MD Music Transfer Software

Rate this topic

convincing

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of a Sony MZ-M200 recorder. I have many stereo and monaural recordings not in Hi-MD format that I would like to transfer to my Mac (or my PC) and was wondering it this unit will permit the transfer of these sound files. All of them are in SP or Mono format, not LP or lower.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Vinci

Hi, Welcome to the forum ! Yes, you will be able to upload the tunes to your computer(although I'm not sure about the Mac-I don't have one) as this machine is basically the same as the RH 1(which I own) and I can upload to the computer with mine. Hopefully someone will read your post and be able to let you know about the Mac. Also when you purchase the unit, check to see what version of Sonic Stage comes with it - we have the latest version here at the forum. Good luck with your machine, Bob B)

• 1 month later...

Hi, Welcome to the forum ! Yes, you will be able to upload the tunes to your computer(although I'm not sure about the Mac-I don't have one) as this machine is basically the same as the RH 1(which I own) and I can upload to the computer with mine. Hopefully someone will read your post and be able to let you know about the Mac. Also when you purchase the unit, check to see what version of Sonic Stage comes with it - we have the latest version here at the forum. Good luck with your machine, Bob B)

Hello Bob,

I have the MZ-RH1 too, and when I try to transfer a track in Sonicstage 3.4 from any mindisc, the following error pops up:

An error occurred while transferring

Unable to transfer the track or tracks.

Any ideas?

Sincere thanks,

Ernst

Hello Bob,

I have the MZ-RH1 too, and when I try to transfer a track in Sonicstage 3.4 from any mindisc, the following error pops up:

An error occurred while transferring

Unable to transfer the track or tracks.

Any ideas?

Sincere thanks,

Ernst

Ernst, you are restricted from uploading any recordings that were downloaded to the disk from a PC.

However it is wise to get the later version of SonicStage, 4.3 at last count. On this website is by far the most reliable version, there was a slight problem for RH1 users who had also connected (NOT at the same time) other units to the same PC, which is gone now.

Suggest very strongly you go here

For a deeper understanding you might want to read this thread

Hope this is the answer you needed.

If you really really need to get stuff off those disks, there are four options:

1. Buy an MDS-JE640 (and some other possible models) and an optical input sound card for your PC, recording at playback speed

2. Record from lineout (analogue) into your PC though many people won't want to do that; also at playback speed

3. Hang around until the linux-minidisc project is finished and see if they have a way for you to do it with the RH1 anyway.

4. Find someone who is willing to do #1 for you. If you have more than 1 disc, they a$$uredly won't do it for nothing.

Bear in mind this is all designed (by Sony) to protect copyright so you should have the rights to do that uploading. Things may have relaxed slightly even since SonicStage 3.4 because Sony basically isn't supporting SonicStage properly, however.

Welcome to MDCF!

Ernst, you are restricted from uploading any recordings that were downloaded to the disk from a PC.

However it is wise to get the later version of SonicStage, 4.3 at last count. On this website is by far the most reliable version, there was a slight problem for RH1 users who had also connected (NOT at the same time) other units to the same PC, which is gone now.

Suggest very strongly you go here

For a deeper understanding you might want to read this thread

Hope this is the answer you needed.

If you really really need to get stuff off those disks, there are four options:

1. Buy an MDS-JE640 (and some other possible models) and an optical input sound card for your PC, recording at playback speed

2. Record from lineout (analogue) into your PC though many people won't want to do that; also at playback speed

3. Hang around until the linux-minidisc project is finished and see if they have a way for you to do it with the RH1 anyway.

4. Find someone who is willing to do #1 for you. If you have more than 1 disc, they a$$uredly won't do it for nothing.

Bear in mind this is all designed (by Sony) to protect copyright so you should have the rights to do that uploading. Things may have relaxed slightly even since SonicStage 3.4 because Sony basically isn't supporting SonicStage properly, however.

Welcome to MDCF!

Thank you, Stephen, for your welcome and your thorough response! The tracks were recorded on an md deck. As it turns out, the error message had to do with not having admin rights on Windows XP (Pro). I've subsequently been able to "rip" two md's containing about 2 hours of audio. I did upgrade to SS 4.3 using the stand-alone installer found on this forum. Sony Tech support (through online chat & phone) were very courteous but could not readily solve my problem. I hope my experience will save others some frustration. Appreciate your help,

Ernst

Thank you, Stephen, for your welcome and your thorough response! The tracks were recorded on an md deck. As it turns out, the error message had to do with not having admin rights on Windows XP (Pro). I've subsequently been able to "rip" two md's containing about 2 hours of audio. I did upgrade to SS 4.3 using the stand-alone installer found on this forum. Sony Tech support (through online chat & phone) were very courteous but could not readily solve my problem. I hope my experience will save others some frustration. Appreciate your help,

Ernst

Yes, Sony make all sorts of dire warnings about configurations of Windows that won't run. In particular they disclaim any version of Windows on a home made machine, which I find hilarious. I had to install SS on a Win2K3 server - held me up about 5 minutes while I told Windows to run the INSTALLER in a WinXP compatible session.... duh! (since W2K3 is essentially WinXP server). And I think they might even say that you cannot run SS as a user without admin privileges.

How did you tumble to the administrator thingy?

It's particularly hilarious in light of this gem from the not-too-distant past:

Sony, Rootkits and Digital Rights Management Gone Too Far

Yes, Sony make all sorts of dire warnings about configurations of Windows that won't run. In particular they disclaim any version of Windows on a home made machine, which I find hilarious. I had to install SS on a Win2K3 server - held me up about 5 minutes while I told Windows to run the INSTALLER in a WinXP compatible session.... duh! (since W2K3 is essentially WinXP server). And I think they might even say that you cannot run SS as a user without admin privileges.

How did you tumble to the administrator thingy?