very rare world music collection on minidisc

Rate this topic

tiggerlou

I'm getting out of minidisc entirely and selling some recordings of world music that I've been collecting for 30 years. It seems a total crime to erase them and sell them as blanks. I've got 102 MD's of music (77 of which are Memorex MD74's if that matters to folks). From what I can tell from Googling, all but about a dozen or so are out of print and only available as vinyl.

Geographically speaking they're pretty evenly distributed among the following categories: Asian music (Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, Tibetan, etc), Central Asian music (Turkish, Afghani, Kashmiri), music from Africa and diaspora (including the Caribbean), Anglo-American traditional music (for example, loggers' songs from Michigan, or sea chanteys), Central and South American music, misc. European (from Portuguese to Greek to Russian), Celtic, Yiddish, Arabic, as well as some compilations.

Most are field recordings, recorded by ethnomusicologists similar to Alan Lomax. Also includes ethnic popular music, such as two albums of Carlos Gardel, the king of Argentinian tango who died in the 30's, and an album of Richard Tucker singing Yiddish songs that isn't mentioned anywhere online except for one website of Jewish music. There's an album of Richard Spence --but not the one that's still available from Folkways. It was recorded by Arhoolie Records in 1971 and not mentioned anywhere online. I've got the liner notes talking about their experiences with that unique Bahamian guitarist. So yeh. Really rare stuff and I want to pass it along.

I did some Googling and could only find a very few of them for sale on eBay as vinyl. One of them is currently on eBay selling for $40. http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIOUS-FOLK-old-count...417153005r26241. I've seen a couple sellng online for $10, so that's the range of what this is going for if you can find it disc by disc. I'm looking to sell the entire collection for much less so I can raise some cash pronto.

I dubbed these from LP's back in the 70's onto cassette, then from cassette onto minidisc about 10 years ago. They are not sliced into tracks and there's an occasional track missing on a very few of the albums because they wouldn't fit onto the cassette. I do have liner notes for most of them, some quite extensive and detailed. I xeroxed them off the LP covers, then put them through OCR. Some of the liner notes I got online as pdf files, especially from Folkways, Lyrichord and New World Records, but only the Folkways and two of the Lyrichord albums have been reissued into CD. About a half dozen of the Celtic albums are also still available on CD. But other than that, all of the others are now out of print. I'm happy to include all liner notes that I've gathered, either as pdf or Word documents.

For someone who cares about rare world music recordings this is a gold mine. Much of this was recorded in the early 20th c. so some of these communities may no longer exist. There are albums recorded so long ago that the titles are inadvertently racist, such as "Man's Primitive Musical Instruments" but the recordings are the real deal. I've got two albums of Korean P'ansori that I got from an ethnomusicologist who recorded the musicians herself and made copies for me.

So make me an offer. I need to sell these quickly for the $, so I know I won't get the full value of these recordings. I'm also selling my MZM200, in almost mint condition for $300. Details on that are in another post.

BTW, I've never sold anything via a forum before, so forgive me if I don't already know the standard protocol. I've seen other posts on classifieds here that mention IM'ing someone. Can someone explain to me how that works?

Thanks much! Really hoping this can go to a good home, with someone who'd appreciate what these are worth!

People have been asking for more specifics on what music is in this collection. Fair 'nuff. Here's some pictures of the discs so you can read the titles. Lots of them are abbreviated so they'd fit on the labels, but that gives you an idea. Some of the spines don't have labels but all the discs do. The ones without labels are Arabic, Southern Appalachian traditional music, and a Gospel album I've tossed in. I'm hoping that you can click on these pictures to enlarge them the way I can do when I'm previewing them. If not I'll try and post these pictures again.

post-63154-1242271754.jpgpost-63154-1242271778.jpg

Someone asked what the prices are for the different albums. Gosh, I've been hoping to sell the whole collection as is, rather than nickle and dime it. ... I'll sleep on it and get back to you on that.

If you have any more questions then just ask :)