blue ray md...

Rate this topic

nvee

Very interesting. The potential is there. (And it's cute!) I fear that initially introducing it as a video playback-only format will likely doom it. I wish it were being introduced as a portable, recordable video, audio, general digital storage format.

Are you sure this wasn't originally posted by some MiniDisc afficionado on April 1st? Otherwise definitely seems a good idea.

I take that back... only the picture in the second article looked like a MD with stuff written on it. The vmedia website shows a much smaller disk, about 1/4 the area of (but similar thickness to) a MiniDisc. Why wouldn't they make something with enough capacity for a whole DVD movie ie about 4-8GB???

Only 2 gigs? Bah..

A mini-DVDR or DVDRAM used by some camcorders are about 1.3 gigs in capacity.

This won't take off and I wouldn't be surprised if it did.. and failed eventually, like the rest of the MD-like devices out there. (eg: Iomega Clik!, DataPlay, etc).

Here's another link on the same tech..

http://www.techchee.com/2008/02/13/spice-m...-optical-discs/

http://gizmodo.com/5146023/vmedia-like-min...feces-but-worse

Edited by Levanel

Even Sony's XDCAM is on it's way out:

http://www.vfcpug.org/images/xdcam_hd.jpg

I've been told by some friends in the industry that there's going to be a switch to HDD and SSD.

What would have been great is if Sony tried to revitalize MDs with the PSP. A higher density MD maybe. That'd would have been awesome. There's no real reason for Sony to do that exacpt maybe it might have been cheaper than buying the patent on UMD, then again maybe buying the UMB tech was cheaper. I don't know what kind of deal they got on that.

But just for posterities sake , the comparison to MD was cool .

and the person who took the pic actually had an MD to compare it with .

and they WILL be recordable ( A portable VMedia Drive with Mic inputs , optical in and out , Rec Level control ??? Maybe , Full USB and PCM recording , with Multisystem compatability ? ) hmmmmmmm

Whether it is Popular or not with the general public , If that does occur , We all know , admit it guys , We ALL know , we would be the first to get it !!!!

"The first Vmedia discs are ROM discs. Movies, TV series and video games on Vmedia discs can't be erased accidently and will last for decades just like DVDs and CDs. There will be a recordable Vmedia disc in the future so you will be able to record your own videos, photos and music to play in your Vmedia-enable devices."

post-104714-0-92923900-1298939260_thumb.

Just for the marker ...... a reference point , Lets watch it , see what happens , I will look around in Japan and see if there is anything like developing here

Are you sure this wasn't originally posted by some MiniDisc afficionado on April 1st? Otherwise definitely seems a good idea.

I take that back... only the picture in the second article looked like a MD with stuff written on it. The vmedia website shows a much smaller disk, about 1/4 the area of (but similar thickness to) a MiniDisc. Why wouldn't they make something with enough capacity for a whole DVD movie ie about 4-8GB???

These Vmedia discs are probably not going to be played on a large screen. 1 gb gives you a feature length film encoded on H.264 with M-PEG 4. I just think it's stupid. If they could make a tiny media like that at 1 GB, they should have made something closer to MD size that could maybe fit 4-5 GB. A small handfull of those would be a hefty amount of data. At 1 GB, you're better off with an SD card.

These Vmedia discs are probably not going to be played on a large screen. 1 gb gives you a feature length film encoded on H.264 with M-PEG 4. I just think it's stupid. If they could make a tiny media like that at 1 GB, they should have made something closer to MD size that could maybe fit 4-5 GB. A small handfull of those would be a hefty amount of data. At 1 GB, you're better off with an SD card.

Considering how flash drives are now HUGE (biggest I've seen was a 32GB usbkey), I kinda' wish this fails.

And besides the coolness factor, have you all thought about the main drawback to MD? eg: Moving Parts? :)

As cool as this technology is, either the media corporations will find a way to kill it if it doesn't fit their plans, or the owners of the technology will get greedy and alienate hardware makers.

You'll see. It has happened with almost every cool technology in the past. (One notable exception being SD cards, and that's why they are so popular now.)

As cool as this technology is, either the media corporations will find a way to kill it if it doesn't fit their plans, or the owners of the technology will get greedy and alienate hardware makers.

You'll see. It has happened with almost every cool technology in the past. (One notable exception being SD cards, and that's why they are so popular now.)

I have to agree with that ........ so true